Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How playable is this game in 1st person?

• 33 posts
    February 7, 2023 5:13 PM PST

I'm playing a bit of classic WoW and I'm noticing that the game doesn't cater to a 1st person perspective AT ALL. Spells are always in your way and look pretty terrible until you zoom out.

But I've also noticed I don't appreciate the setting I'm in unless it's 1st person. It gives everything a certain gravitas that's needed. Elwynn Forest is a beautifully crafted zone. I just don't appreciate it until I look around at the characters POV.

I'm really hoping animations / spells will faciliate 1st person like it mostly did in EQ. Brings a lot to the game IMO

• 2038 posts
    February 7, 2023 10:30 PM PST

VR has said that Pantheon will be equally playable in 1st or 3rd person.

The only people who can report on its current state are under an NDA and so can't talk about it publicly.

• 33 posts
    February 8, 2023 12:24 AM PST

Jothany said:

VR has said that Pantheon will be equally playable in 1st or 3rd person.

The only people who can report on its current state are under an NDA and so can't talk about it publicly.

Awesome, ty mate!

• 3852 posts
    February 8, 2023 7:43 AM PST

Keep in mind that the testing is still at the pre-alpha stage - which means the concern is much more with making sure that basic systems actually work, rather than whether gameplay is good. 

Very likely the rollout of alpha - at an undetermined future date - will be the first chance for those of us allowed in to see how the various systems mesh together and how they hope the game will actually look as a game not just a testbed for systems and zones. As jothany says it will probably have both first person and third person views. Whether you personally will find first person playable is unknown and unknowable until you actually try it whether in alpha, beta or after release.

• 2752 posts
    February 8, 2023 10:34 AM PST

At the very least we know they have said first person will get loving. If they stick to that or not is another story but like you I really hope they do. I'd even like a first person locked server, a real shared immersive experience. 

• 2419 posts
    February 8, 2023 11:06 AM PST

Iksar said:

At the very least we know they have said first person will get loving. If they stick to that or not is another story but like you I really hope they do. I'd even like a first person locked server, a real shared immersive experience. 

I do hope that 1st person includes actual view of your arms, legs, etc with the camera in the proper eye-height location. Nothing is more disconnecting that having 1st person view but you can't actually see any parts of your own body, you're just a floating camera.  Terrible.

Oh, and I would totally join you on a 1st person view only server.

• 33 posts
    February 8, 2023 3:44 PM PST

Iksar said:

That's an interesting concept, I like to swap in-between them but I'd be down for that. Seems way to niche for a good population however.

• 810 posts
    February 8, 2023 3:57 PM PST

Iksar said:

If they have large mobs clipping through your face as well as all the objects around you like every MMO, be careful what you wish for. 

First person really breaks down with large mobs.  I'd like to see a game where that wasn't the case but I don't have that sort of expectation for pantheon.  I have not seen any large mobs that I can remember being shown off so perhaps they are avoiding that problem all together. 

• 2038 posts
    February 8, 2023 8:31 PM PST

Vandraad said: I do hope that 1st person includes actual view of your arms, legs, etc with the camera in the proper eye-height location.

I've never heard about having that in first person. Is there a game that did that well? I'd like to check out a vid to see it in action.

• 2752 posts
    February 9, 2023 12:55 PM PST

Jothany said:

Vandraad said: I do hope that 1st person includes actual view of your arms, legs, etc with the camera in the proper eye-height location.

I've never heard about having that in first person. Is there a game that did that well? I'd like to check out a vid to see it in action.

Pretty sure Mortal Online 2 does this. Been about a year since I was in there but I recall seeing my arms/legs and proper eye locations etc. That game solidified my desire for first person only servers as not just nostalgia for early EQ but for the reality of delivering a vastly superior sense of immersion in every respect. 

This post was edited by Iksar at February 9, 2023 1:00 PM PST
    • 888 posts
    February 9, 2023 1:29 PM PST

I enjoy the experience of first person but typically find I lose too much situational awareness due to too much happening off screen.   I think I'd need 3D virtual reality with good peripheral vision to really enjoy it since that would allow me to better see what's going on.

• 2419 posts
    February 9, 2023 1:57 PM PST

Jothany said:

EQ1 had your arm movements visible in first person and you could look down to see your feet and legs.

• 2038 posts
    February 9, 2023 5:18 PM PST

Iksar said: Pretty sure Mortal Online 2 does this. Been about a year since I was in there but I recall seeing my arms/legs and proper eye locations etc. That game solidified my desire for first person only servers as not just nostalgia for early EQ but for the reality of delivering a vastly superior sense of immersion in every respect. 

Thanks, I'll hunt up some Utubes and check it out.

Vandraad said: EQ1 had your arm movements visible in first person and you could look down to see your feet and legs.

ROFL! I guess that's what I get for not having ever played EQ.

Thanks.

This post was edited by Jothany at February 9, 2023 5:21 PM PST
    • 724 posts
    February 10, 2023 4:45 AM PST

Counterfleche said:

I enjoy the experience of first person but typically find I lose too much situational awareness due to too much happening off screen.   I think I'd need 3D virtual reality with good peripheral vision to really enjoy it since that would allow me to better see what's going on.

Same for me. But iirc from EQ, turning the camera there in 1st person actually turned your character? Something like that was always a huge annoyance for me, especially when running somewhere.

• 2419 posts
    February 10, 2023 7:24 AM PST

Sarim said:

Counterfleche said:

Same for me. But iirc from EQ, turning the camera there in 1st person actually turned your character? Something like that was always a huge annoyance for me, especially when running somewhere.

Did you not know that you could, in first person, move your head but not change your direction in EQ1?  I think it was holding down CTRL or ALT would let you do that.

• 1404 posts
    February 13, 2023 9:02 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Sarim said:

Counterfleche said:

Did you not know that you could, in first person, move your head but not change your direction in EQ1?  I think it was holding down CTRL or ALT would let you do that.

there may have been others but for sure running with autorun (numlock key) you could look all around by holding the right mouse button, while still moving straight. 

• 888 posts
    February 13, 2023 10:54 AM PST

If Pantheon has a mouse-look type of view that's fast and intuitive,  Ill definitely try it when moving. But being useable without being detrimental when healing or cc'ing is a much higher bar. 

Are there any peripheral devices that can track small head movements and track the view to match?  That would be ideal for fast glances to have them triggered by a small head twist.

• 146 posts
    March 7, 2023 9:45 AM PST

I'm personally not interested in 1st person. I'm more the zoom-out-to-max-and-lament-it's-not-further-out player. However, whenever 1st person is implemented, this might be a good request for Cohh or the Pantheon Plus crew to kill a few mobs from that point of view. If they get authorization to stream again. Which I certainly hope.