Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What should we see when we inspect other characters?

• 2419 posts
    September 14, 2022 7:11 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

I would prefer if players had the option to disable /inspect on their character, if desired.  Bonus points if there are separate fields for bio/gear that can be individually toggled.  EQOA was the only MMORPG I have played where an /inspect feature didn't exist and I loved what that translated to in regards to RP and player interactions.  Player agency FTW!

This is the right answer..a toggle.  You want people to see what you're wearing because you're proud of it?  Leave the toggle active.  Want to hide it, like if you're on a PvP server?  Toggle it off.  Everyone is happy.

• 80 posts
    September 14, 2022 7:13 AM PDT

At this point I am unsure where the nameplates and the titles that come with the pledges go, so a bio would kill two birds with one stone. Also, I always loved Nevewinter Night's version of the examine feature, it not only goes into a very long bio (if the Player cares to write it), but has a coding / scripting system where you could make the letters colored as well to signify guild / organization status. But this is very much a roleplay aspect and I don't know how far Pantheon will go down that alley. Although I will say I have seen some very well written ones and combined with the right music can add great immersion into the game.

• 3852 posts
    September 14, 2022 7:25 AM PDT

Some people like inspection and some don't. 

So if it involves a significant amount of work - don't do it, at least as of launch.

If it adds to server workload and lag significantly - don't do it.

One thing I have learned over the years especially in DDO and LOTRO - a lot of small things can add up to bad, even unplayable, lag. When in doubt a developer should err on the side of simplicity and lesser server strain. Players react better to not having a marginal feature than to having it and then taking it out after launch.

I know this one feature shouldn't make much of a difference but the general principle is important.

• 2138 posts
    September 14, 2022 8:04 AM PDT

I see the inspect from a more social aspect. I think the inspect should be somewhat intrusive, insofar as it reveals gear and shows gear stats/info. Also, I would like to see a spot for character input like a small bio or if titles are awarded- perhaps a list of titles for the inspector to see.

The social dynamics from the act of inspecting- IF it is understood that the act of inspecting is taboo- are fine. Two that come to mind are: The newbie tugging on the hem of the OP char and looking with wide-eyed wonder (<-offensive? understandable?) Or the Uber char inspecting you and taking just a bit too long and doesnt seem to hear your constant inquiries to him out loud (NOT TELLS/WHISPERS) culminating in you irriitatingly repeating what...what!...WHAT! and silently the Uber Char initiates a trade with some -sweet!- items and vanishes before you can say thank you or offer to do anything to help them out in your small way.

• 888 posts
    September 14, 2022 10:22 AM PDT

I would also like to see a Chat History which shows private tells betwixt myself and the person I'm inspecting.  This can be stored locally and can definitely limit what's stored, but it can really help those of us with poor memory remember who a person is and our past interactions.

• 768 posts
    September 14, 2022 10:39 AM PDT

I'll pass on the inspect for stats and names of gear items-option full stop.

•  If anything: allow for a restrictied textblock, which can be used however the player wants.
    • Aside of that, if they are wearing crafted items. Just display that in a window: Shoulders made by X, pants made by Y ...without any stats or further information. It's not required, it's not a must have and most likely will people come up with outside programs anyway. 
    • If you need to display any actual information, give information as in: Thronefastian Gloves. Boots of the Eastern plains. That gives enough teaser information to sent people out to those regions to discover the stuff for their own, with the information the player (who's wearing the gear) is willing to give. (you can use more distinctive regional names of districts or sorts, if you have them. Just don't lock it down to a specific spot/mob/lootbox)

Yes to; just ask the person in front of you. He/she won't talk...well go out in the world and discover and reach out. Be part of the active community by (re)acting in that world. If they are nice, you're just having a good time in an mmo world. All the better for it.

This post was edited by Barin999 at September 14, 2022 10:42 AM PDT
    • 7 posts
    September 15, 2022 4:56 PM PDT

I feel that it should be like real life before you could "google(inspect) :p" someone (yes I remember those days). You should first get to know someone before you can know their whole life. If plausible the inspect and bio should only be possible once you have become friends or at minimum had a certain time you have been in a party with them. That is just my two cents.

One other thought for the bio could we make books in a library that could contain the Bio for people that want it public to anyone? 

~~Eledar~~

This post was edited by Eledar at September 15, 2022 4:58 PM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    September 15, 2022 8:07 PM PDT

Inspect should show names of equipped items and any crafter's tag if crafted (but not stats of anything) and an optional bio from the player.

• 7 posts
    September 15, 2022 9:17 PM PDT

I agree. What do you think about the idea of limiting it to friends or being in a party with someone else for a certain time?

• 945 posts
    September 16, 2022 7:04 AM PDT

Great question!

I think it should be up to the player to decide what "personal" information they want to share publicly.  If someone "inspects" a stranger, all they should be able to see is perhaps a pop-up window that allows rotating/zooming of the player's avatar to get a better view.  The only displayed descriptions are that which the player wants to divulge, whether that be a personal bio (in a different tab of the "inspection window") or even item names (unless actually inscribed on the physical item - to be seen when zooming in).   

A good UI option VR could include would be a feature that allowed a player to 'broadcast' their equiped gear, so that when someone inspected them, the inspector could view equiped item details - but only if the player explicitly enables it per slot.  Reasoning: This would allow players to show off items that they are proud of, or possibly avoid having to respond to numerous whispers of people asking "what is that item that looks so cool?"... alternatively, if the item info is hidden from inspection, it could force players to ask "what is that cool item" to players that enjoy conversations with strangers about things like that.  But ultimately, if I buy a cool item that nobody can figure out what it is, and I want to remain mysterious, or if I enjoy people asking me constantly, that is my option.  If I want the cool weapon, but don't want to be bothered with "link me that item" whispers, people can just inspect me.

Add:  We need to remember that items in PRotF are going to be relatively unique... magic items with the same look and name will have different stats/effects.  Unless you like /ignoring everyone (appearing less social than you may actually be) or replying to numerous whispers about your equipment whenever you're in populated areas, inspecting may be more viable than some may think.

Add:  As GoofyWarrior mentioned, SOME people will judge you (positively/negatively) based on your equipment (or Race/Class combo, or skills in your LAS, or even use of grammar) regardless of being able to inspect you.

This post was edited by Darch at September 16, 2022 7:31 AM PDT
    • 16 posts
    September 17, 2022 4:56 AM PDT
    I think inspection of other characters is important if done right and made realistic. When you inspect someone you should only be able to see the gear they have, if you have the gear or have seen it linked in the chat before “you know the stars then” and can see the stats when you mouse over the gear. If you have not seen it or don’t have it then when you hover over it you see nothing.
    • 58 posts
    September 17, 2022 8:58 AM PDT

I remember disabling /inspect in EQ because one could easily and accidentlly inspect another player when using their mouse to navigate.  Occasionally I'd get a /tell from a perturbed player informing me that it was rude to inspect without asking.  I guess because some people woudl inspect and then beg for money or items from some players.  Not sure.  In my case it was an accident.  

So, I like the ideas of 1) nothing or 2) letting us choose what others see:  

When other players right click on you they see...

x Character Biography

x Character Physical Decription

o Equipment Inventory

o Other

This post was edited by Wyvernspur at September 17, 2022 9:00 AM PDT
    • 295 posts
    September 17, 2022 8:46 PM PDT

Some folks did not like when I brought up player accountability for why game design has changed, but I will stick with it. This is a prime example. In WoW we had a full inspect. I used it often when I first started playing and it was one of THE coolest things to do. I could be in awe of inspecting higher levels and seeing what gear they had on and it inspired me to press forward and adventure on hoping to acquire some of the gear.

It was disheartening to read, in this post, how players used this in an increasingly negative way to the point that we have a lot of folks here against it. So many cool designs by developers have been severely weakened or scrapped altogether becasue folks can't just enjoy the game. They have to min max and/or gamify it to the extreme and then create a culture of enforcing that mentality on everyone else.

I would love to see an inspect option fully implemented in game, but, for Pantheon, I will go with those who want toggles and other limitations.

This post was edited by Dikenzu at September 17, 2022 8:46 PM PDT
    • 233 posts
    September 23, 2022 1:44 AM PDT

Everything, let us compare agaisnt each other and have something to aim for when new.