Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

good class for an 80 year old player

• 7 posts
    August 20, 2022 6:22 AM PDT

Hello Pantheon Community.

I'm super excited about pantheon coming out, but, I'm looking for some advice.  my dad is turning 80 next year and he's been playing EQ for most of the last 20 years with a few years of vanguard thrown in there for good measure. he's currently playing on p99 and seems to be doing ok, but I'm worried that he's only able to keep up in project 1999 because he's so familiar with EQ. I'm a little concerned that pantheon, being new and having so many other things to consider, may be a bit overwhelming for him.

does anyone have any advice on a class that might be easier for him to grasp and keep up with? i know he's interested in the game and it'd be fun to play an MMO with him again.  his go-to classes are rogue and ranger. I'm thinking the ranger might be a bit much with it's dodging in and out of melee range. does anyone think the rogue will be ok? other ideas?

• 3852 posts
    August 20, 2022 7:33 AM PDT

A question that hits close to home - I may be 80 by the time the game releases.

Each person is different - my own reaction to slowing reflexes and vision that isn't what it used to be is to focus almost exclusively on ranged classes. Those tend to be more forgiving. If a target moves around I may not need to even change my position - a melee class would need to also move around and focus on targeting and retargeting.

I also focus more on DPS classes and less on healing and tanking. If I am a bit slow my damage output may be a bit less. If a tank is slow to grab enemies or a healer is slow to heal the tank the group may wipe.

Unless he is an alpha tester I don't think you will need to worry about it for years. For that matter I don't think you *ever* need to worry about it. We ancients are quite capable in general of creating characters, playing them, and seeing which classes work for us and which do not.

This post was edited by dorotea at August 20, 2022 5:36 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    August 20, 2022 8:47 AM PDT

We none of us are getting any younger! One regard that Pantheon will very much be like Everquest is the tactical pace of combat.

If your dad can manage Everquest then I imagine he can handle Pantheon.

Yes, there are many differentiators in Pantheon and there will be more to think about like States, Readiness, unique class resources, monster Dispositions, etc. but I'm sure that will be encountered a bit at a time and will all become second nature soon enough.

As dorotea says, DPS classes are often a less demanding choice, if only from a responsibility and criticality viewpoint.

• 70 posts
    August 20, 2022 10:33 AM PDT

Ogre Shaman. 

• 146 posts
    August 20, 2022 11:59 AM PDT

I find casting classes are the easiest on my hands when I play for long periods. Less overall clicks per minute waiting for those 2-3 second spells.

• 9115 posts
    August 20, 2022 5:13 PM PDT

He should try them all and see which one he likes the most! He doesn't need to be in the elite top 1% but he does need to have fun and enjoy whichever class he decides he likes the best.

• 326 posts
    August 20, 2022 6:27 PM PDT

Tell him to get on the forums and watch old class/gameplay streams, both official and from the community, and pops can tell us what he comes up with!

• 2138 posts
    August 20, 2022 8:32 PM PDT

Warrior. Im thinking its a slow start, A tank is a tank. Build a rep as a stalwart and stoic newbie and all the nubile young casters will be chatting him up as soon as he logs in to do stuff for them for which they will be eternally gratefull and spread a reputation of him. As a WAR he can start developing to fuss over damage ratios and accumulating just the right weapons and armors. As the progression goes I can see a nice segway into abilities and skills that are already there, just maybe haven't been used as much. The pacing of battle in pantheon will be beneficial and the added twitch factor of the oomph bar coupled with the LAS can add some nice positive reinforcement as well as keep the mind sharp. 

• 2756 posts
    August 21, 2022 3:17 AM PDT

Oh, also, a top recommendation for RPG fans with reaction time issues for any reason: Divinity Original Sin. 1 and 2. Excellent games and combat goes into turn-based mode.

My dad loved them.

• 768 posts
    August 21, 2022 5:40 AM PDT

Man this would make for a very good communitystory if your father would be able to be one of the first to try the game at launch! 

Between rogue or ranger...rogue perhaps? But only one way to find out, by getting your dad into testing and he'll find out himself!

• 888 posts
    August 22, 2022 1:48 AM PDT

Pet class might be the best way to go if pet AI is adequate since that's not going to lag or have slow reflexes.  But, honestly, I'd say go with whatever sounds fun.  Maybe even start a session with 'octogenerian ogre looking for fun group' to help find the right kind of group.  Not all of us are min/max experts only looking to group with the best of the best.

• 342 posts
    August 22, 2022 8:14 AM PDT

The best class for 80yo men is upper middle class cuz you don't quite have enough money for everyone to be after you, but you can still get some nice looking women who want some of your cheese.

• 2043 posts
    August 22, 2022 10:04 AM PDT

Benonai said:

The best class for 80yo men is upper middle class cuz you don't quite have enough money for everyone to be after you, but you can still get some nice looking women who want some of your cheese.

That's an awesome analysis!! But.... I can't find that one on the Class page of the site. Could you post a link to it please, I want to start planning it immediately. LMAO

• 54 posts
    September 2, 2022 10:37 AM PDT

Mjolnir001 said:

good class for an 80 year old player

Some kind of healer or necromancer.

• 1279 posts
    September 2, 2022 1:24 PM PDT

I think ANY class could be enjoyable, you just have to determine what you're able to do in-game with him.  If need be, don't go into the most complicated areas as often.  I know I'll be having tons of fun in the more layed back areas of the game and maybe when I'm feeling up to it adventure into the deeper darker places of Terminus.  

• 801 posts
    September 20, 2022 4:11 PM PDT

Mjolnir001 said:

Hello Pantheon Community.

I'm super excited about pantheon coming out, but, I'm looking for some advice.  my dad is turning 80 next year and he's been playing EQ for most of the last 20 years with a few years of vanguard thrown in there for good measure. he's currently playing on p99 and seems to be doing ok, but I'm worried that he's only able to keep up in project 1999 because he's so familiar with EQ. I'm a little concerned that pantheon, being new and having so many other things to consider, may be a bit overwhelming for him.

does anyone have any advice on a class that might be easier for him to grasp and keep up with? i know he's interested in the game and it'd be fun to play an MMO with him again.  his go-to classes are rogue and ranger. I'm thinking the ranger might be a bit much with it's dodging in and out of melee range. does anyone think the rogue will be ok? other ideas?

Geez, your dad would have been my fathers age at the time he started. He started to play in 1999, first true 6 boxer with 6 computer towers at his age. I have yet to have found anyone doing it at his age. Was funny watching him. Yeah computers where 3500 back then, good thing i was in the industry back then.

• 947 posts
    September 20, 2022 4:26 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

He should try them all and see which one he likes the most! He doesn't need to be in the elite top 1% but he does need to have fun and enjoy whichever class he decides he likes the best.

This is a great segue to my suggestion of a class play preview during character creation (especially since there will be limited character slots and its been stated that it is being designed to get a feel for a character's playstyle around level 10 at the earliest).

But to the O.P., I would suggest a DPS class to start (as Dortea recommended).  If I were suggesting to a friend that I wanted to ensure they continued to play, I would go even a step further and recommend a ranged DPS as they typically don't require as much movement (while grouped) and are generally more forgiving with positioning.  Those are just my opinions of course.

• 2138 posts
    September 20, 2022 6:56 PM PDT

Benonai brings up a good point, which Pantheon class has the most cheese?

Or rather, which Pantheon class has the best cheese? I think its a quality over quantity issue.

• 3852 posts
    September 22, 2022 9:26 AM PDT

Let us all complain about the things we do not expect to like, and have a whine and cheese party. We can ignore the far greater number of things that we *do* expect to like.

• 1279 posts
    September 22, 2022 9:30 AM PDT

dorotea said:Let us all complain about the things we do not expect to like, and have a whine and cheese party. We can ignore the far greater number of things that we *do* expect to like.

Is this a response to a different thread lol?  Or am I missing something?  

• 3852 posts
    September 23, 2022 8:41 AM PDT

The response is to Manouk's comment about cheese. Nothing to do with anything else in the thread.