Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Opinion (Serious) - Online Security

• 258 posts
    May 21, 2022 11:29 PM PDT

Dikenzu said:

I have zero patience and tolerance for trolls and bullies. Also those whose idea of 'fun' is harassing others and being cruel. I'm not talking about a situation where we all have our moments of imperfection. But, intentional and consistent negative actions. I will either leave the area, ignore them or defend those being attacked. 

I agree with those who say that we as a community can set the standard for what we accept in Pantheon. I also agree that VR should take a heavy hand to those who violate their TOA on a regular basis. I like the idea that someone suggested of giving players agency in recording chat and sending it a GM or VR just recording chat for a few days to a week and deleting. I also agree with those who say that additional check boxes should be added at the beginning of the game emphasizing VR's stance on this so folks can't feign ignorance when they violate those terms. I have no desire to use voice in Pantheon and have never used voice in any game, so I can't speak on that. That may change, but there are too many reasons for me not to use it than to use it. I have, recently, thought about it because of the streams and how it enhances the gameplay...time will tell.

We have a chance to create a great community here and should take every step possible to make this a community that folks will recommend others join and participate in and nip the toxicity in the bud before it catches hold.

I totally agree with you. There should be 0 tolerance for toxicity. I know that if we act together as a community we'll be able to enjoy ourselves in our video games.

• 2756 posts
    May 22, 2022 2:32 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

But we can certainly model it.

(and if you really believe it's a 12 year old that you've never met on the other side of the screen, how upset are you willing to get over it?)

Whilst I agree we are all in control of how we react to others misbehaving, I also agree that you cannot expect some players (younger especially) to have either the maturity to behave or the maturity to handle misbehaviour directed at them.

This is why there must be Play Nice Policy that give guidance over stuff like that (and many other things) and all players must sign up to them and it be made clear if they are deemed to have broken them it may result in their suspension or removal from the game.

As a seasoned adult, abuse rarely bothers me. It says more about the abuser than me. But, even if I'm not upset, it simply isn't something to be tolerated, since if you tolerate, it will proliferate, and soon it won't be the odd blurting you can ignore, it will be constant toxicity that, no matter if you find it personally offensive, will still simply make the game unpleasant to be in.

I want Pantheon to be a 'grown up' environment. That is not to say young people can't enjoy it, it just means they need to act with maturity and restraint and know there are consequences including exclusion.

(And "maturity and restaint" can definitely include swearing and sillines and the like, just, you know, with some maturity and restraint. I guess if you have to ask, you don't have it yet hehe).

• 454 posts
    May 22, 2022 4:03 PM PDT

Have I ever felt unsafe.....No

Have I dealt with harassment/bullying....yes, but YOU must really define harassment and bullying.

My response...I usually log to an alt.

Have I ever seen in-game reputation matter in any way...no

Have I seen whole guilds based on bullying and harassment....yes

Have I ever had any in-game cs/guide/dm/other in-game official ever help....no

Its log on and fend for yourself.

Do I foresee VR doing anything different...no

• 902 posts
    May 23, 2022 2:53 AM PDT

Kalok: The problem is that the terms "bullying" and "harassment" can be subjective.

I totally disagree. 

Bullying: definition: to seek to harm, intimidate, ...

Harassment: definition:  the act of systematic and/or continued unwanted and annoying actions of one party or a group, including threats and demands...

It is easily apparent with server logs (for instance) whether someone is bullying or harassing another person. Yes, people can and probably have tried to "cause problems for someone" and appear to be the victim, but by that very act, it would be harassment and/or bullying.

Counterfleche: We can't control every person's behavior nor prevent all harassment.

Correct, but we can ensure that the perpetrator understands the consequences if they do it again, and there should be consequences!

If someone is out to cause another player issues through the game, either verbally or by their direct actions, then it is harassment. There is no ambiguity here. There is only so much that the community can do without falling into the trap of harassing someone they perceive as bad; they do not have access to all of the facts. If "bad" behaviour by an individual reoccurs over a period, then VR has a moral (and arguably) legal duty to address it directly. 

1. Warning(s)

2. Frozen account for a period

3. Kicked

Bullying is harmful. Harassment is detrimental to individuals and the environment in which it is performed (in this case Pantheon itself). There is no excuse. People get heated in the moment; this is not harassment. However, if there is continued unwanted behaviour (in whatever form), then the community can try to calm things. But if this fails, then VR must step in. Yes, the community can tell people to stop. But, in effect, that is all it can do. It is VR's game. it is their rules.

Dikenzu: We have a chance to create a great community here and should take every step possible to make this a community that folks will recommend others join and participate in and nip the toxicity in the bud before it catches hold.

Agreed. And in most cases, I am sure this will be the case. But when all else fails, it is down to VR to address the problem directly.

One last point regarding "younger players"... 

I believe the game is an 18+ (please VR, correct me if I am wrong here?), but regardless, younger players should be supervised by responsible adults. So if a younger player is behaving badly, then it should be the supervising adult who corrects them. If this cannot be done for whatever reason, then it must be remembered that harassment and bullying is not age specific and so should be handled by the community and ultimately VR. There is no difference here. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour and age makes no difference.

This post was edited by chenzeme at May 23, 2022 3:19 AM PDT