Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Matters Most

• 9115 posts
    May 12, 2022 4:45 AM PDT

What Matters Most - Guild skill (world firsts, top raiders, strict entry conditions etc.) or Guild atmosphere (server events, family-friendly, accept anyone with more relaxed rules)? Please explain your answer. #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 2756 posts
    May 12, 2022 4:50 AM PDT

Depends on the player(s), I suppose.

For me, the atmos.

Doesn't matter what the guild can do if it's stressful and no longer feels like fun (Been there. Done that. Never again).

Even if it takes a lot longer to 'achieve' stuff, I'd rather have a 'pleasant' guild experience.

• 793 posts
    May 12, 2022 5:08 AM PDT

Agree with disposalist.

It is each players own goals and personality that would determine what matters most.

For me, I prefer a group of people with a more relaxed attitude toward the game, about grouping up and having fun, not about min/maxing, or maximum xp gain. People that are capable gamers, we could do a raid or tougher content, but it's not the priority.

This post was edited by Fulton at May 12, 2022 5:09 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    May 12, 2022 5:26 AM PDT

Atmosphere is more rewarding in the long run.  Years from now I want to have built new friendships and maybe met new lovers, looking at you Vandraad ;)

Chasing stats as prestige points are hollow and meaningless in a wider context and thus have no value beyond the personal ego of a few.  

I would gravitate towards a guild with funny stories and frequent gatherings of lots of players rather than a side job to raid some camp for the nineteenth time to try and get a drop that will hang on the guild wall, because then we argue over what wall, and if it goes better by the couch or the mounted head of orc #7 and who wants to go through that conversation again! 

• 1860 posts
    May 12, 2022 6:17 AM PDT

A bit of both is necessary...except world firsts clearly don't matter unless the game incentivizes it with extra rewards somehow.

Being friendly and having a good atmosphere isn't enough.  I also need a guild to be filled with skilled players who are dedicated and can be relied upon on top of providing a good atmosphere.

I've learned the hard way not to join a guild pre release.  There are plenty of friendly people who I will hang out with in chat or run easier content with who may not be able to be relied upon in challenging content when efficiency and skill matters.

This post was edited by philo at May 12, 2022 6:26 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    May 12, 2022 6:21 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What Matters Most - Guild skill (world firsts, top raiders, strict entry conditions etc.) or Guild atmosphere (server events, family-friendly, accept anyone with more relaxed rules)? Please explain your answer. #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

I'd say atmosphere.  I tend to stay away from guilds because most CLAIM to be a big family, but instead are cesspools of politics and back stabbing.  Kinda like employers that claim to be a big family.

• 16 posts
    May 12, 2022 6:53 AM PDT

I personally agree with philo. 

Kalok has avalid point which frequently stems from Guild leaders trying to please all, failing, and then resorting to an inner core of players 

• 326 posts
    May 12, 2022 7:02 AM PDT

The game can function without the l33t epeen crowd, but the weekend warriors and filthy casuals will be the bulk of the population. Those in Skill Guilds do benefit the whole as they cavort about in fancy gear that will motivate others to do/try activities they might not otherwise have the motivation/knowledge of, to attempt. These players/guild members can also inject high-end goods and services into the game.

I remember back in EQ being able to purchase songs for my bard that I was not currently in a position to acquire myself. I was thrilled that the higher-end players sold these songs and that I could therefore have access to them, enhancing my game experience. I eventually was able to participate in raids with the top guild (TSF if I remember correctly) thanks in part to the skill-based guilds laying the groundwork.

As for Atmosphere Guilds, the first guild I joined (Tribe) was a direct result of meeting people in DSP and chatting while we went about the business of leveling. So, socializing with people that were friendly and not in an all-fired hurry was enjoyable if not riding the bleeding edge. These AGs also provide the SGs with more basic goods and services, making the world go round.

I do like both aspects of these guild types and would want to see them both thrive since I intend on at one time or another being a part of each.

• 3852 posts
    May 12, 2022 7:19 AM PDT

Atmosphere. 

I value a guild where people are friendly and somewhat chatty. 

I value a guild where we play for fun not as a second job. I will take the game seriously and prefer beating a dungeon to wiping but I would rather wipe with friends than win with co-workers.

• 2419 posts
    May 12, 2022 7:27 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Guild Skill, definitely.  For my guild, the entry conditions are strict because we want to ensure that everyone is approaching the game with the same mindset, same goals, same attitude.  When everyone knows what is expected of them, up front, and everyone is working together, the atmosphere question solves itself. For my guild we're not pushing for world firsts or top raiders but we are pushing to take on this game using only our skills and abilities.  No wikis, no spoiler sites.  We work off of only what we learn ourselves.

• 454 posts
    May 12, 2022 10:14 AM PDT

Atmosphere.  

I want Terminus to be an adventure, not a job.  I want to laugh at a StoneFish designed prank (squeaky boots, after dinner farts!  LOL.) I want to have lively chat between kills and while looting.  I will not use spoiler sites, i will only use first person view (it's more real to me), I enjoy looting, sharing loot, the question of what does this mob have, is fun, not boring.  I am super psyched for perception, and trying to figure it out with my friends/guild.  

• 63 posts
    May 12, 2022 1:33 PM PDT

I like fun and relaxed atmoshper, but I also expect a certain level of skill so end game content can be explored.

• 256 posts
    May 12, 2022 3:18 PM PDT

A guild's atmosphere is a little bit more important to me. It is the first thing I look at when approaching a guild. I enjoy being in a guild that supports its players, has people able and willing to answer questions, and has a community that interacts with each other. If the guild's environment is lacking in these areas, I am probably not going to be as engaged and really connected to that community.

That being said, a guild's skill level is also fairly important to me. I enjoy being in a guild that has goals for itself, and I enjoy being around people who like to test their limits and push those limits. I don't really care about world firsts, server firsts, or if the guild has the top raiders in a region. I couldn't care less about those things. However, I do care about the expectations a guild sets for its members. These expectations help build an atmosphere and allow players to know what is required of them.

• 258 posts
    May 12, 2022 4:54 PM PDT

First, atmosphere. Without it.. there will never be balance. Having a positive atmosphere in a Guild with or without skill, goes a LONG way. Even without skill, it makes people a better player.

This post was edited by BigBadAzz1 at May 12, 2022 5:01 PM PDT
    • 416 posts
    May 13, 2022 5:23 PM PDT

For a player who is looking for a new home in Terminus, a place I hope to spend years, dare I say, decades exploring, world firsts and rushing to end game have no interest to me whatsoever. The journey is paramount. I want to experience everything; fishing at the source of a fresh mountain stream, reaching the top of towers seen in the distance, delving to the depths of the deepest dungeons, crafting at a giant’s forge, sharing stories around an open fire. To do this, I will need a guild of like-minded players who have a passion to challenge themselves, to solve mysteries, and wish to peer into all the nooks and crannies, but who are not in a rush to do so. In this guild, it would not be important what a player’s initial skill was but how willing and able to learn that player is. We all start somewhere, the willingness to all work together and help each other improve is what counts. A guild who genuinely enjoys spending time together, where players feel comfortable being themselves, a home away from home.

• 1860 posts
    May 13, 2022 5:34 PM PDT

Thorndeep said:

For a player who is looking for a new home in Terminus, a place I hope to spend years, dare I say, decades exploring, world firsts and rushing to end game have no interest to me whatsoever. The journey is paramount. I want to experience everything; fishing at the source of a fresh mountain stream, reaching the top of towers seen in the distance, delving to the depths of the deepest dungeons, crafting at a giant’s forge, sharing stories around an open fire. To do this, I will need a guild of like-minded players who have a passion to challenge themselves, to solve mysteries, and wish to peer into all the nooks and crannies, but who are not in a rush to do so. In this guild, it would not be important what a player’s initial skill was but how willing and able to learn that player is. We all start somewhere, the willingness to all work together and help each other improve is what counts. A guild who genuinely enjoys spending time together, where players feel comfortable being themselves, a home away from home.

So you would like them to incentivize the journey and leveling more than getting to the high end and raiding is how I'm reading that?  ;)

• 416 posts
    May 13, 2022 6:05 PM PDT

@Philo I am not sure incentivize is the right word but maybe embrace the jouney, horizontal progression, and exploration over the need to gain max level. In regards to raiding, my understanding is that Pantheon will have raids for all different levels, not just max, so this is content the guild would pursue in addition to everything else, not to the exlusion of everything else.

• 888 posts
    May 13, 2022 6:08 PM PDT

Like an astronaut lost in space, my my main priority is finding a good atmosphere. 

• 161 posts
    May 14, 2022 2:16 AM PDT

For EQ1, on Xev, the best guild I ever joined was Ancient Fellowship. It was the top of the mid-tier Guilds, great people, very well organized, and we raided. People took time to learn how to organize each Raid, and we took a lot of smaller Guilds along with us on Raids. We were never the first, nor the largest, but we got all the keys, did all the Raids, got everyone their Epics, and had a great time with great people.

For Pantheon, I expect to help build a solid Guild, not necessarily as an Officer or Founder. I expect to be a Group Builder, and this will naturally lead to the Guild for me.

The Arc of my Main character will be Challenging the Deep and building a multi-racial Alliance, so that will be my focus.

This post was edited by Balanz at May 15, 2022 12:42 PM PDT
    • 4 posts
    May 14, 2022 12:13 PM PDT

I appreciate atmosphere as much as the next person. But there is a time and place for that and that's not raid night. We need discipline and focus to get that world first!