Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Riding Beans

• 2756 posts
    May 7, 2022 4:49 AM PDT

Apologies if I'm late to the game and missed another commenting on this. I did do a search, but you know the search function...

So, in the recent April Roundtable discussion with Nephele (https://youtu.be/5XclqrQFIM8?t=2190) this was said: -

Nephele: "if you dismount you may not be able to get back on that mount afterwards so hopefully that explains our relationship with riding"
    Kilsin: "oh some beans there's some eagle ears that will be listening for"

Well, beans indeed.

My take: I'm hearing a possible LOTRO-like riding system.

In that system, there would be horse stables that you discover and 'unlock' (with money, or some other ways), mostly in towns. These stables offer 'routes' to other stables - mostly that you also have to have discovered, though sometimes unlocked by other methods (faction, quests, etc) that you discover, town to town, stable to stable, such that you can visit a discovered stable and ourchase a 'horse ride'. You then jump up onto a horse and it will gallop along a pre-defined route to the destination you chose.

The reason Nephele's comment sounds like this system is that the LOTRO system had a feature, originally (not sure if they removed it at some point?...) whereby, because you are actually watching the ride, you might see something along the route you want to stop for, and you can jump off the horse! That 'terminates' the ride, though, and you can't re-mount and continue.

I really liked this system. It was realistic, but very useful. It took time, so didn't trivialise travel, but didn't require direction, so you could chat or trade or whatever while doing it. I think I remember correctly that it wasn't always safe, so if you chose to walk off and make a cup of tea, your horse might get killed from under you (this only happened in areas where another player might 'train' the horse route?). There was the option of jumping off, to 'customise' the travel, but there was a cost to that, since, as Nephele hints to, you couldn't re-mount and continue if you got off your ride - the rest was on foot.

LOTRO did 'expand' the system eventually, like many modern MMORPGs, making it almost wholly pre-discovered and turning it into fast travel (after a couple of seconds, your horse 'teleported' to just outside the destination) but the original idea was great. Would love it if Pantheon goes with this.

I don't see why this couldn't complement other fast travel, like druid stones and wizard spires. You could also have personal 'free' mounts, but they should perhaps be slower, or give other minor buffs (unless you ride on the horse routes?...)

This post was edited by disposalist at May 7, 2022 4:51 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    May 7, 2022 7:04 AM PDT

It could be public transportation (slow rides not fast rides) where you can jump off of the horse or boat or balloon or bird or whatever is used at any time. At your own risk - especially if you would take falling damage. I have always liked that option.

It also could be private transportation where you rent a mount or other vehicle but your control lasts only until you get off. Or even until you leave a specified area. Thus, to reduce abuse, you could rent a horse to go from Butt Cheeks Village to Terminus City but if you leave the road between them the horse is trained to object to this breach of the rental agreement, buck you off, and return to the stables.

• 295 posts
    May 7, 2022 10:27 AM PDT

I remember them saying this will be a mount that you tame and are able to ride it with full control for a length of time. If you dismount, then the mount may wander off and you would have to tame another one...or something similar. This will come later on in higher levels. We will all be running initially.

• 2756 posts
    May 7, 2022 11:11 AM PDT

Dikenzu said:

I remember them saying this will be a mount that you tame and are able to ride it with full control for a length of time. If you dismount, then the mount may wander off and you would have to tame another one...or something similar. This will come later on in higher levels. We will all be running initially.

Ah ok. He did talk about this as well, but I didn't put two-and-two together. Hmm. I guess that would be fun!

• 2037 posts
    May 7, 2022 12:43 PM PDT

Dikenzu said:

I remember them saying this will be a mount that you tame and are able to ride it with full control for a length of time.

I recall 'taming a wild animal and then riding it' but I don't recall the assurance of "full control". Are you sure of it?

I was thinking that one might NOT have full choice of where the mount takes one, or one might need to gradually learn how to 'steer' after one learns to capture and tame. Losing it if you dismount - and having to catch and tame again - fits this perspective pretty well too.

• 724 posts
    May 7, 2022 7:57 PM PDT

First a PSA: this post had nothing to do with ridable legumes of unusual size. 

Second: If there is only a wild disposition inherent to all creatures large enough to ride,  a mount system where the beast of burden is but a temporary conveyance fits quite logically. 

But, I would enjoy seeing a test of a large creature that could be tamed and stabled, with the quality of the mount as such: High HP; High encumbrance threshold; very slow (.33 or .25 ) walking speed. A large slow pack mule type.  I imagine having to stop and reroute around hazards and keep an eye on weather and time of day.  Planning a long trip would be a challenge and the risk of loss of your creature would be riveting upon your concern.

Anyway this post had nothing to do with magic ridable beans and for that I was a little let down. 

• 295 posts
    May 8, 2022 1:42 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Dikenzu said:

I remember them saying this will be a mount that you tame and are able to ride it with full control for a length of time.

I recall 'taming a wild animal and then riding it' but I don't recall the assurance of "full control". Are you sure of it?

I was thinking that one might NOT have full choice of where the mount takes one, or one might need to gradually learn how to 'steer' after one learns to capture and tame. Losing it if you dismount - and having to catch and tame again - fits this perspective pretty well too.

No, I'm not sure and haven't done any additional research, so I will leave it alone until VR decides to respond or someone else quotes them.

• 793 posts
    May 9, 2022 4:52 AM PDT

DAoC had something similar to what Dispolalist describes. Once you "unlocked" stables, you could purchase a ride between different stables. You would ride along a predefined path at a predefined speed, if you chose to, you could jump off but the horse would just continue to run off and you could not remount.

It was a decent form of travel, and the distances were not usually very far apart, you couldn't free travel from one end of the world to another in a single ride IIRC.  You had to visit the area to unlock the local stable.

So travel was still had meaning and cost time, but once you had been there and unlocked the local stable, you could shorten the necessary travel time by about 1/2.

• 252 posts
    May 9, 2022 11:45 AM PDT

EQ2 public transport was the same, whether griffons or horses. You first had to unlock the ability to even rent a griffon, at which point the griffons had set routes they would follow. You could dismount at any time.

• 161 posts
    May 10, 2022 11:13 AM PDT

I want a mule to help me carry my goods between cities.

The donkey kind of mule, not an alt.

• 2419 posts
    May 10, 2022 11:33 AM PDT

Balanz said:

I want a mule to help me carry my goods between cities.

The donkey kind of mule, not an alt.

Back in the long long ago the Pack Mule was going to be a possibility.  It would be a mobile, secure storage which would allow players to stay out in the wild for longer.  Guess that idea was scrapped years ago.

• 724 posts
    May 11, 2022 2:54 PM PDT
    • 135 posts
    May 23, 2022 7:57 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Dikenzu said:

A riding skill was mentioned in either the first or second video where they confirmed how mounts will work, as well as, I think, potentially consumable equipment like bridles. So all of these could make sense given that you may need to raise your skill to be able to mount certain creatures at all, let alone steer them.

• 2756 posts
    May 23, 2022 8:09 AM PDT

I have to say, one of the things I greatly enjoyed playing a hunter in WoW was searching for and taming rare beasts.

Assuming the concept of mounts itself isn't unbalancing, I would love to do that for mounts in Pantheon.

• 2138 posts
    May 23, 2022 9:47 AM PDT

I think bag space and having to return to town to sell to make room and heading back is not terrible. This makes weight reduction bags that are quested or found an uber item. wether or not they will have more slots or we can carry more than one bag is another discussion. 

My take on local mounts: neat if trainable and only useable in the zone. Once dismounted you have to retrain one. Certain classes can train unique beasts, all classes can train common beasts in the zone. You have to find out what they are through questing or Lore questing which will be riddles. However Intra-zone mounts can be rented and follow a specific path to the destination but if you get off, thats it. The mount may be indiff to the local dezinens but you may not be and can be attacked. The mount follows its own path, if you are not acclimated or cannot survive (not enough enduring breath or swimming trained) you will die on its route. Polar Bear: cold. Komodo dragon: heat/thirst. Eagle: Pressure/anaroebic. SeaHorse: swimming/EB. Goat: poison ("he can eat things that would make a billy-goat puke!" Rambo) Beetle: disease (fast, but can be distracted and you will backtrack if there is dung in the path because the beetle AI makes it roll the dung into where its supposed to go before moving on. RNG chance to fly at 4x speed) etc. 

If you absolutely need to transfer goods between cities that you cannot carry yourselves- which is the intent. NM that is the intent. You are the silk road, not some NPC or magic bank network.

QoL may omply hassle of having to return to sell. I think this depends on how much trash loot is on mobs, if there is no trash loot and the economy is toned down then no problem as I see it. Or, since newbie dungeons re often close to towns, the travel back and forth is not horrible. But higher end areas will have less, but more valuable loot so bags will not get stuffed and by that time some weight reduction bags will be had. 

This post was edited by Manouk at May 23, 2022 9:49 AM PDT
    • 161 posts
    May 23, 2022 7:58 PM PDT

I don't know.  If I can't have my Dwarf Merchant lead a donkey laiden with goods between cities, there's something that is lost.

• 233 posts
    June 10, 2022 2:12 AM PDT

Every MMO should just have WOW style permanent mounts that dont take up bag space.

My mind can never changed on this, the longevity created by farming mounts adds years to playtime and millions for them as a business.

• 245 posts
    June 10, 2022 6:32 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:

Every MMO should just have WOW style permanent mounts that dont take up bag space.

My mind can never changed on this, the longevity created by farming mounts adds years to playtime and millions for them as a business.

No, absolutely not.

If you want WoW, you can just go play WoW.

• 2419 posts
    June 10, 2022 9:12 AM PDT

Ezrael said:

Grimseethe said:

No, absolutely not.

If you want WoW, you can just go play WoW.

I agree. A hard no on WoW style mounts.  Even the EQ1 mounts quickly got quite ridiculous.

• 392 posts
    June 10, 2022 10:22 AM PDT

I for one enjoy having a cat in my pocket at all times. /sarcasm

For real though I dont hate the classic way of storing mounts but it will be refrshing to see something new.

• 161 posts
    June 11, 2022 5:54 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Even the EQ1 mounts quickly got quite ridiculous.

My Magician with Levitate on his fast horse felt like a Klingon Battle Cruiser.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed mounted combat, especially on raids in large, open zones.

• 1479 posts
    June 12, 2022 9:37 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:

Yeah... no.

Nobody needs another game where mounts are instant pocket crap you get out as soon as the icon is no longer greyed just to skip some precious seconds when going to the mailbox.

Also mounts as a collectible of some sorts creates the great afflux of pinder circus where you see so much species and colors of mounts with more or less flashy effect there is a big loss of game identity and coherence making them a pokemon chase of some sort.

Just stay with regular universe based mounts that do not have flashness everywhere.

• 119 posts
    June 19, 2022 1:48 PM PDT

Gintoki88 said:

I for one enjoy having a cat in my pocket at all times. /sarcasm

For real though I dont hate the classic way of storing mounts but it will be refrshing to see something new.

Stables outside of every Dungeon.

Just take your ticket, hand over the reigns, and remember to tip the valet to 'have my mount ready, incase I have to flee to zoneline'

• 135 posts
    June 20, 2022 5:41 AM PDT

Galden said:

Stables outside of every Dungeon.

Just take your ticket, hand over the reigns, and remember to tip the valet to 'have my mount ready, incase I have to flee to zoneline'

I don't think VR would do it, but it would be a fun thing if you could set up your own hitching post anywhere and hold on to people's mounts for them. Posts could hold a half dozen mounts and you can only build one on the spot if you're a carpenter. People stop by and tip you to hitch their mount until your post is full. Only they can retrieve their mount.

• 2419 posts
    June 20, 2022 5:55 PM PDT

Balanz said:

I don't know.  If I can't have my Dwarf Merchant lead a donkey laiden with goods between cities, there's something that is lost.

Back in the long, long ago, circa 2013-2014 there was the idea of the Pack Mule.  This was a mule/horse which acted like mobile, secure storage which would carry your extra gear, provisions, loot, etc so you could stay out in the wilds of Terminus for many days or even more than a week.  The Pack Mule was a real NPC, you didn't summon/dismiss it. You bought it and it would follow you around.  If you were going to a dungeon or some other area the idea was you would find a nearby outpost or encampment and tie it up in a paddock or field (for a fee of course).  Or, if one wasn't nearby, you could 'tie it to a tree' where it would just stand there until you returned.  It was going to be immune to any NPCs attacking it.  It was a great idea.  Too bad it didn't stick around.