Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - What is more important to you

• 9115 posts
    January 13, 2022 3:34 AM PST

Community Debate - What is more important to you, combat or adventure and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 839 posts
    January 13, 2022 4:09 AM PST

Combat for sure, im driven by looking for fun and challenging fights and the bonus (in a good engaging game) is bumping into adventure on the way

• 6 posts
    January 13, 2022 4:29 AM PST

I think both are vital aspects of any game as hardship and engaging journeys will lead to long lasting friendships, solidify the bonds of a guild, and even leave a long lasting impression on the solo adventurer.

But to answer the question I think if I had to assign a value to the two it would be as follows.

Combat 35%

Adventure 65%

This post was edited by Machkeznho at January 13, 2022 4:30 AM PST
    • 258 posts
    January 13, 2022 5:01 AM PST
    I think combat is a very important role. If you can't kill mobs for the challenge fix then my adventures aren't complete. Adventure sounds more quest involved which I rather avoid like a plague. I rather have more chances at getting into the action and improve my play style and finding that shiny piece of desired loot.
    • 627 posts
    January 13, 2022 5:08 AM PST
    Combat - i hope its where i spend most of my in game time. And therefore it has to be fun and engaging gameplay.
    • 252 posts
    January 13, 2022 6:58 AM PST

Adventuring is more important to me, but combat is such a critical part of adventuring that messing up combat will probably ruin adventuring too.

• 2419 posts
    January 13, 2022 6:59 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - What is more important to you, combat or adventure and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Combat is the biggest part of the adventure. Nearly everywhere you go, you have to fight something and most everything you want to accomplish (obtain gear, get spells, earn money, level up) happens because of combat.  So yeah, it's combat for sure.

• 500 posts
    January 13, 2022 7:02 AM PST

I believe that both are essential to a great experience. My preference would be a 60/40 split in favor of adventure over combat. Just my 2cp.

• 1 posts
    January 13, 2022 7:21 AM PST

70/30, in favor of adventuring.

Challenging combat is obviously an important component but as long as the mechanics work, I'm not terribly concerned about the visuals.

In adventuring, I find the visuals extremely important to a truely immersive world. I am most excited to discover the ways that the world will be interactive in a true PvE sense(the environment is formidable and requires making real choices) and how the perception system will tie adventuring, combat, havesting and crafting together.

• 326 posts
    January 13, 2022 7:37 AM PST

Adventure is enhanced by Combat, yet Adventure sans Combat can stand on its own merits. Combat alone, and for its own sake, is much like a saltine cracker without the salt.

• 3852 posts
    January 13, 2022 8:50 AM PST

Adventure - recognizing that combat is important. I don't want a game where 90% of the quests involve finding things or serving as a delivery woman without having to fight a thing. 

But in a MMO I play to develop the characters and learn the world and the game. I do NOT play to find especially difficult fights and I emphatically try to avoid any fights that are scripted dance routines ruled by mechanics where success depends on doing the exact right thing at the exact right time in the exact right way on the exact right pixel rather than how skilled my character is and how well geared she is and how well I use her combat abilities.

• 258 posts
    January 13, 2022 9:18 AM PST
    I totally agree with you there. You'd be surprised how some games put mechanics after mechanics and you well know you're doing everything possible and it's enfuriating when you know you're doing everything in your power but when you die the less than a second mechanic to appear you just had a split second when you realized it killed you lol
    • 295 posts
    January 13, 2022 10:34 AM PST

I chose Pantheon because of the great attention paid to both. Regardless of how I felt before, I have been convinced by VR of the importance of both. You have set a bar for yourself and any future game I maybe interested in.

• 413 posts
    January 13, 2022 12:31 PM PST

Simple - mmoRPG  Adventure.  don't make me fight you on this.

• 363 posts
    January 13, 2022 1:31 PM PST

Both are vital to a good game, but if I had to choose one, I would go with Adventure: Exploration/Mystery/*Meaningful* Quests.. not task grinding for xp. I would take a purely combat game before the latter.

• 1 posts
    January 13, 2022 8:16 PM PST

I'd say both, provided they are designed to bring players together. Anything in the game is appealing to me as long as it brings players together in a fun and meaningful way.

• 395 posts
    January 14, 2022 11:46 AM PST

Neither alone. Combat is one of the peaks of adventure! They're both interconnected to the overall experience.

But I will say if adventure is lacking, then combat alone is not going to make it up for me.

• 454 posts
    January 17, 2022 9:00 PM PST

Grouping/Social

Adventure/Exploration/Questing

Combat

Crafting

Mounts

Housing

Selling/Buying

This is the order I find fun.  

• 902 posts
    January 18, 2022 4:59 AM PST

Adventure!

1. Exploration

2. Seeing new sights, culture and lore

3. Finding the unexpected

4. Completing meaningful tasks

Combat falls out of adventure. I mean it is the norm, but does it always have to be?

• 888 posts
    January 18, 2022 12:48 PM PST
    65% combat / 35% Adventure
    • 810 posts
    January 18, 2022 8:41 PM PST
    Adventure is the most important. If it wasn't we would just have an arena zone for combat.
    • 258 posts
    January 19, 2022 3:00 AM PST

Jobeson said: Adventure is the most important. If it wasn't we would just have an arena zone for combat.

Not necessarily. I, for example,... like to have a fast pace killing whilst traveling for adventure in a group!

This post was edited by Arzoth at January 19, 2022 3:01 AM PST
    • 129 posts
    January 19, 2022 12:39 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Many people say combat is very important, and I disagree.

As I said on the twitter thread, quote :

"i wish combat in mmorpg were more about pulling tactics, positional strategies, sustain strategies,... as it was in old everquest ;

rather than modern mmorpgs' action-combat requiring everyone to react at a 0.3 sec timing and mash buttons...

there are action games for that."

and to me, a mmorpg isn't meant to be an action game.

How fun exactly is it to stress one's self over having eyes litterally locked on skills' cooldowns, to execute the flawless skill rotation required to get maximum dps, according to dps meters, that will allow to not get kicked out of the raid for being 0.2% behind the expected dps for one's class.

because that's what action combat leads to. elitism and stress.

• 150 posts
    January 19, 2022 2:21 PM PST

For PVE? Adventure. For PVP? Combat. For MMORPGs in general? A mix of both, because we are adventurous combatants or at least combative adventurers. The world we enter needs some conflict and not just the kind that comes from player interaction. The story isn't meaningful without the threat of loss and the potential for advancement. If every single character has plot armor, than the risks are spurious and the rewards signify nothing because they weren't earned.

• 150 posts
    January 19, 2022 3:18 PM PST

bobwinner said:"i wish combat in mmorpg were more about pulling tactics, positional strategies, sustain strategies,..."

Agreed. Combat is really satisfying when you have to read between the lines, looking for openings to exploit (boxing match, rope a dope), waiting for more favorable conditions (rescue mission, cover of night/fog), etc.