Forums » Pantheon Classes

Melee class for nerds - the Tactician

• 13 posts
    December 28, 2021 10:06 AM PST

I had a gnome warrior alt in EQ, I made as a meme, before I knew what a meme was... You didn't see many if any of them at launch. To be fair, why would you? There was more than 100 point relavent stat deficit between a gnome and an ogre warrior, and on top of that, the ogre had stun immunity! The imbalance between these races in regard to this class was immense.

I'd like to see a martial class where intelligence and wisdom are main stats, and the intellectual or wise races are optimal choices. I'd propose a class called the tactician. Which performs as a tank or wonky dps/melee force multiplier. They wear medium armor and shields. Use all weapons, but in dps stance they have synergies with pole arms. Wisdom - bolsters damage avoidance skills like dodge, parry, block, and repost. Intelligence - bolsters passive and active skills which give party members opportunity attacks, and opens temporary hit boxes which are vulnerable zones of attack. In the various stances these abilities are enhanced or weakened depending. More later, need to run

This post was edited by Blyte at December 30, 2021 3:41 AM PST
    • 13 posts
    December 30, 2021 1:04 AM PST
    Resources - Acumen & Tactics
    Wis - increases acumen generation rate.
    Int - increases tactical generation rate.

Tactical and Acumen power pools start at amounts, based on associated stats, level, specialization points, acclimation, gear, and familiarity with enemy type. (Maybe zero)

Tactical and Acumen pools increase with time and interactions with the enemy, both offensive and defensive. (Bolstered by associated attributes and other modifiers)

Acumen based active skill example:
    Battle prescience- temporarily bolsters the tactician's (or party member in front of the tactician [in a short range conical arc]) avoidance skills (dodge, block, parry, repost). This ability would work well with the tactician as a tank, or as a 2nd rank, polearm wielder, directly behind the tank. The effectiveness of the boost is based on wisdom, level, and acumen pool volume level.

Tactical based active skill example:
    Flanking Instruction- the tactician gives a command to attack the enemy from a weak point. For X seconds an illuminated hit zone appears on the rear or side of the enemy. The zone gives attacks from that area the advantage of armor penetration & hit chance. The effectiveness of the boost is based on intelligence, level, and tactical pool volume level.
    ---
    Acumen based passive ability example:
    Protective parry- the tactician has a small chance, based on wisdom and volume level of the tacticians acumen pool, to parry a melee attack for an ally in their effective reach.

Tactical based passive ability example:
    Tactical Leader- the tactician has a small chance based on intelligence and volume level of tactical pool, to randomly give any party member, in the combat and attacking, an extra basic attack.
    • 13 posts
    December 30, 2021 1:20 AM PST
    Neutral Active ability example:
    Reconnaissance- the tactician can, from range study an enemy, and apply a mark (similar to hunters mark). While this effect is in place, the tactician will receive a bonus to tactical and acumen pools, when a combat with this enemy begins.
    ---
    Stamina based active ability examples:
    Fient- the tactician will feign an attack, applying a penalty to the enemies defensive abilities for a short time, in exchange for endurance.

Hustle- the tactician will gain a small bonus to movement and attack speed for a short time, in exchange for endurance.

Shove- for some amount of endurance, the tactician will attempt to push the enemy backward a small amount, which can possibly interrupt a spell cast, or put an enemy into an advantageous position.
    • 13 posts
    December 30, 2021 3:39 AM PST
    I am putting this class suggestion together organically, so some previous statements need clarity.

The tactician also has a stamina(or endurance) pool, which is a resource I believe to be common among other martial classes. It regenerates at a similar pace and is consumed for some combat abilities.

The tactician's acumen and tactical pools become zero, when combat ends. Some instances might reduce acumen and tactical pools, like the addition of new enemies to the battle.

The tactical and acumen pools, have certain metered points, which allow for skills of greater power to be used. These skills will have cool downs. Their effectiveness will increase in potential, as the corresponding pool increases in depth. Certain ultimate abilities will unlock, when the corresponding pool reaches maximum depth.

Some gear and class specializations might increase or lower the potential depth of these pools, as well as the rate these pools fill.
    • 13 posts
    December 30, 2021 3:46 AM PST

Combat stances:

Offensive- bolsters tactical pool effectiveness coefficient, and applies a dampening to acumen pool effectiveness.

Defensive- the opposite of offensive.

These stances might also effect the growth rate and depth of the corresponding pools.

Balanced- neutral coefficency to both tactical and defensive pools, with bonus replenishment of stamina.