Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How accurate were your 2021 predictions?

• 810 posts
    December 23, 2021 9:41 PM PST
    We always see impossible predictions and doomsday prophets each year but did VR get as far as you had hoped in 2021? What do you expect for 2022?

I wrongly thought URP and networking would be completed by years end, but the upgrade to HDRP is perfect timing and worth it in the long run.

I am expecting the roadmap to run until August where we can start biting our nails over straggler items and people realizing we left the druids behind. Many of the requirements are fairly short where they will just be dropped in from nothing to complete over the month but enough of them are substantial time sinks.

Fingers crossed we see an animation focused hire in the new year.
    • 3852 posts
    December 24, 2021 8:03 AM PST

My predictions have always been bad and last year was no exception. For 2022 I have no predictions at all - with the newsletter saying there will be more pre-alphas and they will be working towards getting to alpha. Which implies no alpha next year.

• 326 posts
    December 24, 2021 10:50 AM PST

I am going to stick with my assertion that the game launches mid to late 2024. The punch list must be a mile long. All the same, go team!

• 223 posts
    December 24, 2021 5:17 PM PST

I went into 2021 without expectations. 

Though I am hoping for Alpha in 2022. Not to play Pantheon, but having the opportunity to contribute my professional QA skillset.

• 810 posts
    December 24, 2021 7:03 PM PST
    @dorotea I was not a fan of their word use there either. "We will continue to move toward Alpha in 2022" makes me think they are moving towards alpha being in 2022 not moving towards alpha through 2022.
    • 1860 posts
    December 25, 2021 12:41 AM PST

dorotea said:

My predictions have always been bad and last year was no exception. For 2022 I have no predictions at all - with the newsletter saying there will be more pre-alphas and they will be working towards getting to alpha. Which implies no alpha next year.

That is how i decipher what we were told as well..  We will see.  We are all still hoping for that publisher.

It seems to me the amount of art assets required compared to the number of environmental artists on the team is a major hurdle...it would still be a major hurdle with half a dozen more environmental artists just to put it in perspective.  2022 seems unlikely to me but there are some ways to expedite the process.  It seems inevitable that as time goes on VR will utilize more and more unity assets.  We have already seen a shift in what we are told about utilizing unity assets from: none to some. (Which seemed like a given for years even when we were told they would use all in house assets).  It was only a matter of time.  I encourage the use of more unity assets.  It's necessary given the current climate.  They look good.  Use 'em. Save time, save money.  It's not a bad thing. 

• 729 posts
    December 25, 2021 9:06 AM PST

I'm dead accurate, every time.  Just ignore my past history and focus on my lies, that is where joy is found, in this fantasyland inhabited by StoneFish, you're welcome. 

I predict, nay inform y'all, that alpha is February 2nd followed by beta 9 weeks later, and launch by April 1st at 10:62 AM.  

I foresee in my tea leaves, all pledge members getting winked at by all the pretty people while walking the streets, a bag of cash found in the back seat of every auto and a pet dog that never ages and dies.  

It's all looking great in 2022.

• 295 posts
    December 25, 2021 7:21 PM PST

I didn't really have any predictions for the year...until later on around September. I thought the HDRP and network stack would be done by November and they would be working on implementing the Summoner and Ranger along with those network stack related systems they said were dependent on it. I'm hoping they are done with the network stack this month and are starting on the pet system, range combat and the two aforementioned classes. 

For next year, I do have predictions and wishes. I will most definitely keep them tempered and I will most definitely keep myself busy with other things so as not to become over anxious. That is all to easy for me to do with this game because I think it will change the game and folks perception on how MMOs are made. 

I would absolutly LOVE for VR to get another seven figure investment or two or three or four...lol. I hope that would be announced early in the year like how it was in January this year. That would allow them to, hopefully, double their staff and contract out a lot more art and animation work which seems to be a huge hurdle. It would almost definitely mean that Alpha would get a release date a lot sooner. Mostly though, I'm still looking forward to watching the game being developed. I want more Dev streams on the different classes, crafting, the updated combat system, the other races finally coming online, and a whole lot more in game play seesions showing off the absolutely beautiful HDRP Terminus.

Even on the current trajectory I see an announcement for Alpha next year. I'm hoping by the 3rd or 4th quarter we will get a definite release date even if it's not next year. Alpha coming between September 2022 and March 2023.

...or sooner. 

This post was edited by Dikenzu at December 25, 2021 11:12 PM PST
    • 454 posts
    December 25, 2021 9:38 PM PST

I had things (in my head) that I predicted.  I was SO wrong, I will never try to predict anything ever again.  Well maybe.

• 394 posts
    December 26, 2021 12:40 AM PST

I try not to predict too far ahead, just focusing on the next monthly stream keeps me (mostly) sane.

• 2137 posts
    December 26, 2021 12:18 PM PST

StoneFish said:

I'm dead accurate, every time.... I predict, nay inform y'all,... launch by April 1st at 10:62 AM. 

I was hoping for a little more precision.

Is that 10:62 AM Eastern or Pacific?

:D

• 888 posts
    December 26, 2021 11:57 PM PST
    I don't see the point in making predictions since I'm not privy to any inside information nor have I any personal experience creating and launching a AAA quality MMO with a small team. But since I continue to see tangible progress, I remain optimistic.