Forums » News and Announcements

Reasoning with Roland Interviews Chris "Joppa" Perkins

• 9115 posts
    December 20, 2021 5:30 AM PST
    Check out the latest interview with our very own Chris "Joppa" Perkins where he talks about building an immersive MMO experience.

• 560 posts
    December 20, 2021 4:06 PM PST

This was a fine interview but I hope I was not the target audience. If there was anything new to be learned in the interview, I missed it. If the plan is to reach out to a broader audience, I get it but why not have a few small tidbits here and there so new and old followers can enjoy?

• 6 posts
    December 20, 2021 11:48 PM PST

Susurrus said:

This was a fine interview but I hope I was not the target audience. If there was anything new to be learned in the interview, I missed it. If the plan is to reach out to a broader audience, I get it but why not have a few small tidbits here and there so new and old followers can enjoy?

I'm an 'old follower' and I enjoyed it. It's always enjoyable to hear Joppa talk about the thought-process that goes into designing the world of Terminus and the role of the player within it. 

I would assume that if they wanted to tease new information or reveal things they haven't before, they would prefer to do that on their own channel or through their social media. But I suppose if your enjoyment only comes from learning about new reveals then I guess you're correct in assuming that you were not the target audience. 

Personally, my favourite part of this interview was when Joppa was talking about how games nowadays center the player as the ultimate protagonist even though the game is meant to be an MMORPG where there are thousands, if not millions, of other players.

It makes the game and the story feel less 'real' since your character seems to be the driving force of the narrative rather than the world itself. Plus, it's hard to feel immersed in a story or a world where there are 700 'Saviour's of Terminus' in every room you walk into. At that point, if every person playing is 'the only hero that can save the world' then it makes the lore and story feel fake. But again, that might just be my subjective opinion. 

This post was edited by Ravencraft at December 20, 2021 11:50 PM PST
    • 560 posts
    December 21, 2021 12:37 AM PST

I am not an expert on finding old videos but the part you liked has been covered before by Joppa in a previous video. I might have been over critical and maybe I following Pantheon too close. It is was it is, I guess. I definitely did not mean any offense more of one fans prospective.

• 6 posts
    December 21, 2021 7:45 AM PST

I've been following the development for a while too. I probably forgot about that topic being discussed but it's still reassuring to know the vision hasn't changed. 

I definitely didn't take any offense by your perspective, I apologise if I seemed overly harsh. I was just trying to give my opinion on the video as a counter to your view. Both opinions are both valid. :) <3

• 223 posts
    December 21, 2021 5:47 PM PST

I thought it was a great interview; it's always interesting to hear Joppa's thoughts on design theory & decisions.

Regarding the intended audience, I don't feel it was intended for the hardcore crowd. And that's fine. We all started at the beginning, and hopefully interviews like this will pique the interest of others to join our ranks.

• 83 posts
    December 22, 2021 1:54 AM PST

The long format podcast style interview was quite good. Even though Roland (if that's his name) is just starting out with his channel, the ease, interest and excitment that he displayed was very important for me as a viewer to understand that you truly care about the topic. And that makes the show much more compelling.

So good job and keep it up!

This post was edited by Kaynrath at December 22, 2021 1:55 AM PST
    • 295 posts
    December 22, 2021 11:39 PM PST

Even if I've heard some of it before, I very much appreciate these videos. It was a good showcase of what Pantheon is and the host gave a well balanced interview.