Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Item prestige

• 11 posts
    December 12, 2021 7:59 AM PST
    A little while ago there was a thread on "what if we gave item history to be tracked to see where and who had or traded or sold the item". IMO that would be tons of extra data stored just for each item.

Minus, when part of pantheon plus, had a discussion during one of the episodes about having "shiny" items. This could be a cool idea for collectors. However, it causes players to camp the same item over and over.

How about giving an items a counter based on the number of times the item had dropped/been looted. This way, when the item drops, you would know if you were the 2nd person to ever loot it or 47th etc. There would be some degree of accomplishment knowing you were one of the first few to get an items. I would only keep it to equipable items. Whenever someone inspects your items, they could say 'wow, you were the 1st to get that sword', or helmet. It might make items with the oldest looting record go for more during a player to player sale just so they can have the first looted item of that kind on a server.

What are other people's thoughts?
    • 1921 posts
    December 12, 2021 8:49 AM PST

IMO:

Customization is more powerful, 'sticky' and attractive than metadata.

Being the authoritative or canonical "source of truth" for a given scope is the job of the database.  And modern storage allows for millions of IOPS.
    Why does that matter?  Because technology is no longer the limitation for systems like what has been theorycrafted on these forms. (and what you're suggesting, Rufious)
    Tracking the history of an item is no longer a technology issue, it's a design issue.  Should you?  What's the value?  Is it more fun?  Does it make the game better?  Does it add value for you or everyone?

Similarly, item rarity is a solved problem with appropriate economic design. 
    If you make it appropriately costly (not in $$$ or gold) to make an item useable and/or equippable?  Economic harm becomes impossible.

Customization of all aspects of a character, including all loop skills, abilities, resistances, spells, gear, and similar will keep players playing longer than just about any other system.
    The idea that something is 'rare' (in the 0.001% drop rate sense) is the path that leads to cash shops, RMT, and/or social toxicity, from what I've seen of history.
    It also attracts exactly the smallest and least friendly target audience you would ever want. :)

• 2419 posts
    December 12, 2021 9:23 AM PST

I think people get too hung up on 'server first' things, the first guild to kill X, to loot Y, to go to Z, etc.  It far better, I believe, to focus more on your person first. When did you kill X?  Or loot Y?  Or go to Z?  If you did all those things without watching someone else's guild raid X, or pre-read the entire questline so you could get Y, etc then how is your accomplishment any different than theirs?  Nothing but time.  You still did it with you and your guilds' own efforts.

• 1404 posts
    December 12, 2021 11:00 AM PST

I don't think they should do anything to promote the rush to "end game"

• 2419 posts
    December 12, 2021 4:05 PM PST

Zorkon said:

A prestige and 'end game' are not synonymous, necessarily, though most people believe it to be true.  Any notable item that is difficult to obtain can be a prestige item.  I would wager than the original EQ1 epic quests, although they had raid content in them, were not end game quests as much of them were done at the group level.  It was the length, vagueness of clues, the tradeskills, the traveling all made them prestige items.

I felt that the 8th Coldain Prayer Shawl quest was more difficult than the Shaman Epic 1.0 with far more opportunities for failure which would set you back to the beginning.  That item was quite prestigeous I think.

• 1404 posts
    December 12, 2021 4:21 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Zorkon said:

A prestige and 'end game' are not synonymous, necessarily, though most people believe it to be true.  Any notable item that is difficult to obtain can be a prestige item.  I would wager than the original EQ1 epic quests, although they had raid content in them, were not end game quests as much of them were done at the group level.  It was the length, vagueness of clues, the tradeskills, the traveling all made them prestige items.

I felt that the 8th Coldain Prayer Shawl quest was more difficult than the Shaman Epic 1.0 with far more opportunities for failure which would set you back to the beginning.  That item was quite prestigeous I think.

I don't see it that way Vandraad, based on this part of the OP's post

Rufious said: How about giving an items a counter based on the number of times the item had dropped/been looted. This way, when the item drops, you would know if you were the 2nd person to ever loot it or 47th etc. There would be some degree of accomplishment knowing you were one of the first few to get an items. I would only keep it to equipable items. Whenever someone inspects your items, they could say 'wow, you were the 1st to get that sword', or helmet. It might make items with the oldest looting record go for more during a player to player sale just so they can have the first looted item of that kind on a server. What are other people's thoughts?

I would catagorize "First to get an item" the same as I would  "First to lvl X" All things like that are going to promote the player to in fact be first, This in itself makes it a race, and a race to where else but "end game". Yes they can be avalable throughout the levels as well, but ulimatly there is going to be another carrot on a stick we will chase and the desire to aquire the item will always be there to then add "aquire it first" makes it not a goal as much as a race.

This post was edited by Zorkon at December 12, 2021 4:22 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 12, 2021 4:56 PM PST

Seems like an unnecessary use of resources to do a count on items. I wouldn't even have the game let us know if we are the first to get an item. Am I better in any way than you because I get a drop of a new item before you even wake up because I am on EU time and you live in the Americas and are still asleep? If the item comes from a very difficult encounter and you rightly feel proud of beating it - shouldn't that be what you want the game to keep track of - world 351st to defeat a certain boss. On second thought I wouldn't want that either.

This post was edited by dorotea at December 12, 2021 4:57 PM PST
    • 295 posts
    December 12, 2021 10:56 PM PST

Zorkon said: I would catagorize "First to get an item" the same as I would  "First to lvl X" All things like that are going to promote the player to in fact be first, This in itself makes it a race, and a race to where else but "end game". Yes they can be avalable throughout the levels as well, but ulimatly there is going to be another carrot on a stick we will chase and the desire to aquire the item will always be there to then add "aquire it first" makes it not a goal as much as a race.

I agree. Folks who rush to endgame will exist, but I wouldn't want anything in the game that would directly facilitate that mentality. At the same time lots of things I haven't considered could be used for that purpose, so it's a balancing act.

This post was edited by Dikenzu at December 12, 2021 10:58 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    December 13, 2021 3:40 AM PST

This topic has been promoted for my CM content, please continue the discussion and have fun! :)

"Hot Topic - Item Prestige - Would you like to own the first-ever rare dropped item from a challenging boss, or are you ok about owning Dagger of Uberness #329 as long as it does the job it's supposed to? Join the discussion here: https://bit.ly/3oL9CRU #MMORPG #CommunityMatters"

• 6 posts
    December 13, 2021 4:16 AM PST
    I thought it was always neat to see a message go out for so and so getting item xyz for the first time, or to have your name show up on Alla/Lucy because you were the first to pick it up. In fact, this has led to conversations years down the road with people who notice and only builds up the world, IMO, by making it more meaningful...and some of these things were just alchemy mats. We all have memories and conversations with old friends about getting this mob or this item and some sort of tracking/identifyer will just add to that, IMO.

Did it ever make me want to race for world firsts? Certainly not. Does that mean no one will want to? Certainly not, but the truth is, you can't really stop those kind of people anyway and why would you want to? You could remove all levels and stats and someone will find something to race for and it's how they enjoy the game. It won't detract from my enjoyment of it.
    • 31 posts
    December 13, 2021 8:41 AM PST

vjek said:

Customization is more powerful, 'sticky' and attractive than metadata.

This, exactly.

I don't care where my stuff came from or how rare it is, as long I can have normal looking equipment without huge friggen swords and shoulderpads.

Let us reskin everything we own to be what we want it to be. We're not all looking something that's not WoW yet is an exact dupicate of WoW.

• 1281 posts
    December 13, 2021 9:32 AM PST

As far as "item prestige", I think there should be a certain subset of "prestige items" that should be named items.  For example, the named Elvish swords in the Tolkein mythology.  That said, the "prestige items" shouldn't just come from super epic encounters.  There should be a very rare chance that you could find on one a "regular" mob or in a regular chest or what-have you.  In addition, with named items, there should only be one item with that name.

• 729 posts
    December 13, 2021 10:04 AM PST

I feel like this can be pandering to the individual.  Do the players need additional incentive to feel 'special'? To feel like they can hold a shiney thing up and allow it, the item, to validate a story.  If you possess a dagger you had to retrieve from a mountain top, the more substantial value is the journey and teamwork it took to get there and fight for it.  If it's something the whole group got then you all share in the story to get it.  That story will be unique.  Adding a count to the item is artificially creating unnecessary incentive.   Collecting 'stuff' as proof of your , what? Did you buy it? Did someone gift it to you?  Where you in a guild that made it 80% of the trip there and you logged in and took the easy way?  

Collecting is a motivation of sorts but it feels shallow and silly in a digital world. You can create collections of any and all types of digital assets but the harder and more rewarding time is spent with friends making memories.  

I see, often, players talking about past journeys and battles.  The funny and rewarding times they shared or worked together with others, both long friends and random strangers and their interactions.  I almost never hear a detailed talk about the cloak or the sword or staff one had. 

The little toys one can get are a fleeting endorphin hit, the travel and triumph and failings are where the long pleasure and contentment is found.

If any mark is to be placed on an item I would vote for a date first aquired, and that's it.  Nothing more.  

• 2752 posts
    December 13, 2021 10:11 AM PST

Not a fan of any extra data being attached to items. A value attached to items only serves to inflate the accomplishments of a few and diminish the same accomplishment of the many to follow. 

• 2137 posts
    December 13, 2021 10:14 AM PST

StoneFish said:

If you possess a dagger you had to retrieve from a mountain top, the more substantial value is the journey and teamwork it took to get there and fight for it.  

You can create collections of any and all types of digital assets but the harder and more rewarding time is spent with friends making memories.  

I see, often, players talking about past journeys and battles.  The funny and rewarding times they shared or worked together with others, both long friends and random strangers and their interactions.  I almost never hear a detailed talk about the cloak or the sword or staff one had. 

The little toys one can get are a fleeting endorphin hit, the travel and triumph and failings are where the long pleasure and contentment is found.

This right here.

• 1020 posts
    December 13, 2021 11:42 AM PST

Server first boi'sss.   Heck ya!

• 2 posts
    December 13, 2021 11:44 AM PST

Not a fan of 1sts. Server rushes to complete firsts are frustrating to an average player. Most of us will never even try.

However, if the firsts were not about who was the fastest to kill something, but instead for those that were the smartest and took the time (it should not be easy) to figure something special out, then that would have more value. Something not obvious (easter egg like). Plus, the important bit would be...if the player did not play for 60 days (or whatever time frame) then it would automatically be available (whatever the reward was) again OR something similar would be added for another person to find. Ongoing type of thing. That way it's not gone forever if the player quits.

• 1020 posts
    December 13, 2021 11:46 AM PST

Thimble said:

Not a fan of 1sts. Server rushes to complete firsts are frustrating to an average player. Most of us will never even try.

I won't not try, but I also won't try try.  Also, I'd brag about a server first.  

• 1404 posts
    December 13, 2021 11:58 AM PST

Thimble said:

However, if the firsts were not about who was the fastest to kill something, but instead for those that were the smartest and took the time (it should not be easy) to figure something special out, then that would have more value. Something not obvious (easter egg like). Plus, the important bit would be...if the player did not play for 60 days (or whatever time frame) then it would automatically be available (whatever the reward was) again OR something similar would be added for another person to find. Ongoing type of thing. That way it's not gone forever if the player quits.

Now something like this idea I could entertain.
    Obviously it would be a bit tougher in a non instanced game, as "Dungon X Full Clear Time" wouldn't be avalable as there would be others in there clearing some of it ahead of time, It's not always the same fight. But Boss fights maybe, This is something I would see NOT promoting rush to end game but contrary replayability. Let's see if we can break the record for kill time on level 20 Boss X before we hit level 25. Prestige Items avalable if you break the record.

• 810 posts
    December 13, 2021 12:33 PM PST

I do not care about seeing it myself.  It holds no value to me.  I do however think ownership history would be nice for devs to track duplicates and the like.  Remove all duplicates from the game, ban those involved. 

• 256 posts
    December 13, 2021 4:21 PM PST

I don't really like it when games put emphasis on world firsts, server firsts, or being the first to get something. I feel like this puts more emphasis on the end goal and less on the player's journey and experience of getting there. Honestly, not everyone can be first at everything, and personally, I don't care about being first as long as I am completing the content while it is still relevant. 

I would hope that VR would avoid putting the emphasis on rushing to acquire something, and put the emphasis on the journey to acquire that item instead. 

• 223 posts
    December 13, 2021 10:12 PM PST

I'm fairly indifferent on this.

Having some cosmetic flair for uniqueness, denoting a first drop, may be cool. Or simply something in the description to annotate it as such (similar to a previous thread I started).

• 18 posts
    December 14, 2021 2:05 PM PST
    Its a no from me. There is nothing worse than the rush to end game. For the average Joe who can put in maybe 2-3 hours a day they have no chance to get any server firsts, so it just encourages and rewards people to become elite in game, primarily because they don't have a job or any social life etc.

Guilds like 'Fires of Heaven' in EQ were a prime example, specially when raid bosses were rare, they would literally own the server. Every week when Naggy and Vox were up they would kill them immediately leaving no other guild any chance.

I get why people rush to end game, it makes life alot easier in-game in terms of having more wealth etc. You'll always make more money if you are the first to start selling the best gear and have the best crafting etc.
    • 395 posts
    December 14, 2021 4:55 PM PST

I quess it depends on how one defines accomplishment.

If the actual accomplishment takes a back seat to bragging rights because a person is first, well, then I think that person has missed something.

• 902 posts
    December 15, 2021 4:00 AM PST

Who cares about "firsts" apart from those that do it? Not many I would imagine, certainly not me.

If someone says to me, "I took out Big Bad Da Boss Boss", then I might be impressed, if someone tells me they were the first on a server; "meh!". Well done for taking the boss down, but it doesnt impress me any more so for being first; it just means you had a lot of help to get to the point you could try, probably at other people's expense.