Forums » News and Announcements

November Developer Roundtable with JN Gerhart - Lore and Writing

• 9115 posts
    December 3, 2021 5:01 PM PST

Producer Ben "Machail" Dean fills in this week for Kilsin, as he sits down with Lead Writer JN Gerhart to talk about all things Lore and Writing.

https://youtu.be/bI1_ZeBsGPc

• 94 posts
    December 3, 2021 5:47 PM PST

I enjoyed this one quite a bit, thanks all!

• 1281 posts
    December 3, 2021 7:10 PM PST

To JN if you read this - about languages.

I don't think players are expecting you to create a new language like they created Klingon for Star Trek.

What people would like is that you can have npc's and characters in game speak in other languages and if you do not know that language in game it would just appear as garbaled text. You could do a lot with quest NPC's, racial city NPC's, perception, etc with this. If you don't know the language you may not be able to read the text. If you do know the language and can make out key words you can complete the quest. Depending on how in depth your perception system gets you could even have words and location randomized so people can't just read guides to know what NPC's are saying.

• 1479 posts
    December 4, 2021 3:46 AM PST

bigdogchris said:

To JN if you read this - about languages.

I don't think players are expecting you to create a new language like they created Klingon for Star Trek.

What people would like is that you can have npc's and characters in game speak in other languages and if you do not know that language in game it would just appear as garbaled text. You could do a lot with quest NPC's, racial city NPC's, perception, etc with this. If you don't know the language you may not be able to read the text. If you do know the language and can make out key words you can complete the quest. Depending on how in depth your perception system gets you could even have words and location randomized so people can't just read guides to know what NPC's are saying.

You could also make it so keywords for answers are not understood by NPC because of the bad knowledge of the language, to add some reciprocity.