Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Genre bending

• 135 posts
    November 29, 2021 12:14 PM PST

You've waved a magic wand and now Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is a different genre of game. What genre is it?

For me it would be a single-player party based dungeon crawler, like certain old cRPGs. Something along the lines of Dungeon Master, Legend of Grimrock, Eye of the Beholder, or Might and Magic, but with a heavy focus on lore and puzzles and using the environment around you. All the classes and races would be options (with or without restrictions.) I think I would throw in some Dark Souls-esque bonfires/camp sites as well and a few survival elements like food/water and of course acclimation to dangerous environments!

This post was edited by Byproducts at December 1, 2021 8:17 AM PST
    • 2419 posts
    November 29, 2021 1:10 PM PST

Byproducts said:

You've waved a magic wand and now Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is a different genre of game. What genre is it?

A Dance Dance Revolution style arcade game.

• 135 posts
    November 29, 2021 1:17 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Byproducts said:

A Dance Dance Revolution style arcade game.

*Sudden flashbacks to a small town mall circa 1999.*

• 888 posts
    November 29, 2021 1:25 PM PST
    Terminus Trail.
    "You take 50 damage from contaminated water! "
    "Yiu have died of dysentery!"
    • 3852 posts
    November 30, 2021 9:34 AM PST

I would destroy the wand and leave the genre exactly as it is.

There are things I might want that I don't expect to get (more quests and less grinding - more support for solo play without undercutting the group focus) but in general I support Pantheon because I like the objectives not because I want them changed.

• 135 posts
    November 30, 2021 9:39 AM PST

dorotea said:

I would destroy the wand and leave the genre exactly as it is.

There are things I might want that I don't expect to get (more quests and less grinding - more support for solo play without undercutting the group focus) but in general I support Pantheon because I like the objectives not because I want them changed.

Taking this way too seriously!

This is just an episode of "What If...?" not "I think Pantheon would be better as a different game."

• 839 posts
    November 30, 2021 7:14 PM PST

Dragon age origins with the depth of Pantheon classes! Yes please

• 125 posts
    December 1, 2021 2:27 AM PST

cRPG! aka baldurs gate/pillars of eternity 

• 23 posts
    December 1, 2021 4:42 AM PST

Have to go with a FF tactics meets Pantheon style game. 

• 119 posts
    December 1, 2021 5:46 AM PST

A fantasy based version of 'Fall Guys' with an overarching Mortal Kombat type plot justification.

• 135 posts
    December 1, 2021 7:18 AM PST

Adrenicus said:

cRPG! aka baldurs gate/pillars of eternity 

Gamer after my own heart.

• 3852 posts
    December 1, 2021 8:04 AM PST

"Taking this way too seriously!"

I did have a bit of trouble figuring out the theme here since you mentioned turning Pantheon into a party based dungeon crawler and I think to a large extent that is exactly what it is intended to be.

OK - a CRPG like Baldurs Gate and Pillars of Eternity sounds good. Or Wizardry 8 or Might and Magic 9 without all the bugs. Or Temple of Apshai or Datestones of Rhyn - going back to the really old days when the first CRPGs began to be sold outside of college campuses.

NPC's yelling "Camping is good but now I lead - quests for everyone!!" Go for the eyes Boo was not Minsc's only line.

• 135 posts
    December 1, 2021 8:18 AM PST

dorotea said:

I did have a bit of trouble figuring out the theme here since you mentioned turning Pantheon into a party based dungeon crawler and I think to a large extent that is exactly what it is intended to be.

Fair point, I can see the confusion. I edited the original post for clarity.

• 1289 posts
    December 1, 2021 2:00 PM PST

Pantheon Professional Baseball (not that arcade style junk, the type where a final score of 3-2 is pretty normal).  

• 2138 posts
    December 3, 2021 6:35 AM PST

I mis-read the title...

Did you hear about the non-binary gold miner?

-found gold in them/their hills.

Too early? i'll show myself out, now.

• 135 posts
    December 3, 2021 7:07 AM PST

Manouk said:

I mis-read the title...

Did you hear about the non-binary gold miner?

-found gold in them/their hills.

Too early? i'll show myself out, now.

*standing ovation*

This is a tongue in cheek thread and the title is meant to reflect that, haha.

• 150 posts
    December 6, 2021 10:48 AM PST

MOBA, specifically DotA 2 if for nothing else than its Ability Draft. You can choose from any of the official characters such as Khazas, Ittero, Amenthiel, or Rothuk. For ability draft, those are randomed but you still retain the passives/actives of their race, then pick and choose from a pool of spells/abilities. You then set about gaining xp, items, and defending your ancient or city as two opposing teams, with the creeps being the very races that players start out as in the MMORPG version of Terminus (creep race dependent on map: coastal/dark myr, mountainous/dwarves, etc.). Couriers would include the Taurokian Warhorse and Greater Blue Plainsox. Not sure who or what would be Roshan, Rok'Nhilthamos?

This post was edited by Leevolen at December 6, 2021 11:05 AM PST
    • 33 posts
    December 6, 2021 11:20 AM PST

Ranarius said:

Pantheon Professional Baseball (not that arcade style junk, the type where a final score of 3-2 is pretty normal).  

Faerthale International Football Association: FIFA

Each race has a national team, each class plays a different position: Tanks on the back line, rogues sneaking up the wings, a wizard in the midfield. What could go wrong :P

• 274 posts
    December 8, 2021 12:05 AM PST

Everyone is still going with games or genres that incorporate roleplaying elements..

I want to see Terminus as a full-on squad-based tactical shooter. Either isometric and turn-based (e.g. X-COM), or first person and real-time like the original Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six games. 

Your stats/gear are static. You choose your squad, your loadout, select your insertion point, and you get one chance to clear the dungeon, or you fail and any party members lost are gone forever.

This post was edited by eunichron at December 8, 2021 12:06 AM PST
    • 690 posts
    December 8, 2021 10:05 AM PST

Action Role-play. I know lots of people consider it that already, but I'm talking more like Dark Souls push to swing action.

• 47 posts
    December 8, 2021 11:19 PM PST

Pongtheon.

• 2752 posts
    December 9, 2021 10:55 AM PST

A co-op FPS similar to something like Vermintide.