Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Languages other then "Common" In Panthion?

• 11 posts
    November 13, 2021 4:41 PM PST

Will we start out knowing race / class spesific languages and can we learn more later on? (i.e Elves speak Elvan, rogues know thieves' cant)

• 1281 posts
    November 13, 2021 5:53 PM PST

I don't recall them ever talking about it. With Brad being passed on, I suspect it's very unlikely there will be other languages. If he were working on the game I think it would have been a better chance of happening because it's definitely an 'old school' mechanic. However, even in EQ languages were not well done, but I think there is a lot of potential.

I always felt that the other race cities, the NPC's should only speak in their tongue. So as an adventurer if you go into their city, you may not be able to comunicate with them until either you learn their language or maybe they like you enough to speak yours - especially for non-vendor NPC's which may not have a reason to talk to you. This could open up a lot of options for questing and even for Perception. Imagine coming acros someone that is hurt and them not wanting to talk to you until they realize you know thier language. Or being able to pick up quest in other cities because you can speak to them.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at November 13, 2021 5:55 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    November 14, 2021 6:44 AM PST

Almost anything is better than the EQ2 approach. Go to a vendor in your starter area and in 30 seconds learn about 20 languages if you have a few gold.

• 1281 posts
    November 14, 2021 7:23 AM PST

bigdogchris said:

I don't recall them ever talking about it. With Brad being passed on, I suspect it's very unlikely there will be other languages. If he were working on the game I think it would have been a better chance of happening because it's definitely an 'old school' mechanic. However, even in EQ languages were not well done, but I think there is a lot of potential.

I always felt that the other race cities, the NPC's should only speak in their tongue. So as an adventurer if you go into their city, you may not be able to comunicate with them until either you learn their language or maybe they like you enough to speak yours - especially for non-vendor NPC's which may not have a reason to talk to you. This could open up a lot of options for questing and even for Perception. Imagine coming acros someone that is hurt and them not wanting to talk to you until they realize you know thier language. Or being able to pick up quest in other cities because you can speak to them.

This.  I think, with Brad gone, the "dream" of a language mechanic is gone as well.  I gotta say I was hoping for race and class specific languages that had the potential to be learnable.

• 11 posts
    November 14, 2021 7:26 AM PST

Kalok said:

bigdogchris said:

This.  I think, with Brad gone, the "dream" of a language mechanic is gone as well.  I gotta say I was hoping for race and class specific languages that had the potential to be learnable.

Off-topic from OP but, What do you mean the bard is gone?.. like it's never going to be included to the game?

This post was edited by Sifrid at November 14, 2021 7:31 AM PST
    • 1404 posts
    November 14, 2021 8:46 AM PST

Sifrid said:

Kalok said:

bigdogchris said:

Off-topic from OP but, What do you mean the bard is gone?.. like it's never going to be included to the game?

He said Brad, not Bard... Refering to the unfortunate loss of Brad McQuade Chief Creative Officer who passed in November 2019.

I don't belive there has been any change to the plans or timeline of the Bard.

And on topic: I'm pro languages, I agree they shouldn't even bother to consider the EQ2 "buy the book, you know the language" method. But instead they should improve on the EQ1 method. People disliked the spam to learn it that was done in EQ1 but it didn't bother me at all and was better than nothing. Languages were, and could be a mechanic that slowed progression to end game.
    Would have been some good questions for the AMA.

This post was edited by Zorkon at November 14, 2021 12:02 PM PST
    • 810 posts
    November 14, 2021 10:05 AM PST
    They built in mechanics to eavesdrop on NPCs. It would be a letdown if languages didn't overlap with that. Go overhear the goblins speaking goblin.
    • 1281 posts
    November 14, 2021 12:49 PM PST

Sifrid said:

Kalok said:

bigdogchris said:

I didn't say 'bard' was gone.  I said Brad.

• 223 posts
    November 14, 2021 4:01 PM PST

I hope languages are a thing. I had a heap of fun with them in EQ, especially from a RP perspective. 

Oh Brad. I still see his Aradune posts highlighted here. A frequent reminder.

• 2419 posts
    November 14, 2021 6:21 PM PST

Kalok said:

I don't think that the language mechanic originally intended has been throw out but rather right now there is no real need to spend time on it.  I would expect that the races have their own languages.

• 394 posts
    November 15, 2021 8:20 AM PST

Did Baz gameplay from the fort have a part with knowing the language of the wolf guy?

But I'm pro-language, I use to leave my cleric in elvish just to play up how racist my High Elf was and spending time in PoK learning the rare languages from other players was always fun if simple.

This post was edited by Gintoki88 at November 15, 2021 8:20 AM PST
    • 417 posts
    November 15, 2021 1:17 PM PST

This would be a great question for the next AMA Dev stream.

• 1281 posts
    November 15, 2021 3:17 PM PST

Gintoki88 said:

Did Baz gameplay from the fort have a part with knowing the language of the wolf guy?

But I'm pro-language, I use to leave my cleric in elvish just to play up how racist my High Elf was and spending time in PoK learning the rare languages from other players was always fun if simple.

You are thinking about the stream of Fortress DeViare where he had to have an item to speak to an NPC. That mechanic is like a gimmicky 'language'.

What we are talking about is being able to change your character, or have an NPC, to speak in another language. If you do not know the language the other PC's or NPC's are speaking you just see garbaled text on screen.

Another reason I think having language is cool is because some classes like Monk could have the ability to speak multiple languages as a default ability. This is from D&D which heavily influenced EQ.

Language to me is like many other roleplaying mechanics that modern games are getting rid of for sake of 'convienence' so that people can just focus on leveling up. I want these traditional machanics like needing food, having languages, having spell reagents, crafting your own spells, having weapon damage resistances, classes leveling up different and so on. Why can't we have a game bring back this stuff? a game that brought this stuff back would actually stand out in a very crowed MMO market right now. Why not stand out?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at November 15, 2021 3:27 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 15, 2021 4:52 PM PST

This is a great question and one that would be ideal for my upcoming Dev Roundtable chat with JN :)

If  VIP could repost this when I put the thread up it would be appreciated.

• 11 posts
    November 15, 2021 8:42 PM PST

Kilsin said:

This is a great question and one that would be ideal for my upcoming Dev Roundtable chat with JN :)

If  VIP could repost this when I put the thread up it would be appreciated.

^.^b

• 2138 posts
    November 16, 2021 11:52 AM PST

I think languages could be a thing. I dont want to believe the vision faded with Brad. The only thing I dont see clearly on is how learning a language will be fun- will be a fun game.  In Journeyman Project 3- I think- there was a puzzle where you had to learn Aztec base 12 counting. You didnt realize it at first because you were associating the concepts with aztec-y symbols and then it popped. once it popped I was like- ohhhhh- and was able to translate into roman/european numbers in my head and back-fill the symbols with numbers quickly and solve all the locks. it was an RPG and it took a few hours.

The hurdle as I see it will be how to allow those that do not speak each others language to be able to communicate in a crude way. Hopefully not through a textified emote, but hopefully through selective emotes? which would end up being a sort of pantheon sign language (PSL) - *self-side-track, PSL guild by those that need to use use ASL, IRL* 

How to make learnign a language a 1st person immersable long time accomplishment but at the same time a multi person achievable practicality in a short time. Douglas Addams babel fish money sink, perhaps? where you can understand, but not speak- ah ha maybe thats it. To have mastery you must speak, and once you can speak you can also understand without the fish.