Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Boss Loot

• 810 posts
    October 31, 2021 8:59 AM PDT

If you give me everything I want I have no reason to play the game. 

• 3852 posts
    November 1, 2021 8:42 AM PDT

Jobeson said:

If you give me everything I want I have no reason to play the game. 

Only true for those whose fun consists of building up their characters rather than doing the content. If one plays because one enjoys exploring the world, doing dungeons and so forth one will play even after getting fully geared up.

But I agree entirely that getting everything we want is a strong disincentive to continuing to play.

• 256 posts
    November 1, 2021 3:45 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Boss Loot - How much loot would you expect a tough named boss to drop and what do you think the drop rate chance for super rare items should be? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

Depends on the boss and group size. For a typical five-man group, I would say one drop per boss should be standard. There could be times where the boss could drop two pieces based on a rare RNG roll or boss difficulty, but one piece of loot should typically be the standard. 

For raid, I think one piece of loot should drop per group. If the raid size is twenty-four and six people can fit into a group then four pieces of loot should drop per boss. 

In terms of extremely rare items with universal drop tables... well they are extremely rare.  

• 810 posts
    November 2, 2021 1:31 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Only true for those whose fun consists of building up their characters rather than doing the content. If one plays because one enjoys exploring the world, doing dungeons and so forth one will play even after getting fully geared up.

But I agree entirely that getting everything we want is a strong disincentive to continuing to play.

You may do OTHER content, but you won't continue doing the same content and overall content is limited.  The SWTOR launch for example, when my entire raid guild was fully geared out after only a month of raiding we had no reason to raid until new content is released.  Because we all had raid gear we didn't need to do any dungeons either.  Pantheon will require more sets of armor overall, but when it comes to boss loot that often means you no longer need anything from large swaths of content that is now all inferior to you. 

I have always been fairly unlucky in loot for EQ.  It kept me going back again and again to places.  Week of x dungeon then a week of y dungeon.  Back to x dungeon when you get bored of y again, try going to z and realize no one is there :(  All the time though you are slowly progressing both in levels and AAs so no time is ever wasted. Eventually I would move onto higher dungeons without ever getting what I wanted from the places.  I still remember that time fondly. 

The common MMO trope I hope VR avoids is every dungeon gives EVERYONE something because you must be rewarded constantly.  You must progress constantly.  If you are somehow unlucky, here this rat dropped a new greatsword for you!  Get that dopamine hit!

• 258 posts
    November 2, 2021 12:17 PM PDT

I used to love the multiple items in a raid because a lot of people got their chance to loot something using DKP system and made us engaged with the community and knowing the great satisfaction after you've worked for something is EPIC! EverQuest MMORPG and well known for it's community was a great part of what I lived and that to me is the greatest feeling I've ever had and that includes every guild I've been a part of.

This post was edited by Arzoth at November 2, 2021 12:18 PM PDT