Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Another take on epic

• 87 posts
    October 18, 2021 7:12 AM PDT

Ok everyone likes epic and the quest to gain them but why is it always a weapon ? i post this to try a different way to awoid some gritt about gear.If we look to eq we have epics who was good then with expansion they where only used for clicky effects then to balance it we have epic 2.0 to rebalance it and so on...

now in pantheon we have 2 primary ways to get gear drops/crafting i dont think epic quest should compete in normal gear because it is hard to balance especially after potentially expansions.We must also do a big and tough quest line so the epic should be rather powerful so how to balance it against a weapon (no fun to be a weaponsmith and hear we dont need you)

i suggest when you unlock your epic that should resemble your class like a holy symbol for a paladin or blod from the first direlord encased in a gem (only examples) but the most importand thing give the epic a uniqe item slot this prevents that craftsmen wont feel left out  and it may be more easy to further the epic quest in the future,paladins holy symbol might be missing some things direlords gem might be a set of 5 stones 

• 223 posts
    October 18, 2021 7:23 AM PDT

How do we feel about character specific epic quest lines that lockout others? I.e. A Paladin may choose to go down the path of obtaining a legendary sword or a mighty shield, but can't have both.

• 2033 posts
    October 18, 2021 8:48 AM PDT

There has been discussion about tying top-end gear to both drops and crafting in this way. I believe that instead of the item itself dropping with a slot for something to be added, the last I heard is that they are heading more towards the drop being some kind of 1-use template or recipe that a crafter uses to make the specific piece of gear, but the general idea works just the same. Questing & Crafting both needed for your uber item. As someone who plans on many alts and several crafters, I'm very much in agreement with it.

Lafael said:

How do we feel about character specific epic quest lines that lockout others? I.e. A Paladin may choose to go down the path of obtaining a legendary sword or a mighty shield, but can't have both.

I think that only getting 1 epic per char fits both the high status of epics, as well as the tenet that decisions have consequences. So yes, you should have to choose.

• 690 posts
    October 19, 2021 2:00 AM PDT

Lafael said:

What if you got something that lets you add a powerful upgrade to any piece of gear, spell, or skill of your choice?

• 2138 posts
    October 19, 2021 5:56 AM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Lafael said:

What if you got something that lets you add a powerful upgrade to any piece of gear, spell, or skill of your choice?

This could allow for a customizeable build. Care would have to be given so the choices are not completely out of class or out of balance for that class so that Meta-gamers dont end up making decisions that they want 1 paladin with epic sword and 2 paladins with epic spell-boosts in holy valor group buffs. But I like that idea because if you are really good in swordsmanship, you may opt for a better spell and rely on your sword skills to carry you through in battle.

• 223 posts
    October 19, 2021 7:57 AM PDT

I make choices that define my DnD character (Paladin), that ultimately locks her out of particular pathways, but strengthens her in others. Not every character of a given discipline need to have the same pathway or endpoint.

• 3852 posts
    October 19, 2021 7:59 AM PDT

Choices yes. One ideal build for every character of the same class - no!!!!

• 1277 posts
    October 19, 2021 8:37 AM PDT

I know this isn't directly related to the question but ... enough maybe to belong here haha. 

I don't think the game should tell us that an item is "epic."  We should go along in the world, fight mobs, do quests, get items, and we decide which items we think are "epic."  When the game tells you that an item is epic it changes the way you think about that item.  If you happen to come upon an item that is slightly stronger than others, or more rare, you might consider it epic.  I feel the same way about quests.  The game shouldn't be telling us "You are about to do an epic quest."  Just have the quests exist and let players decide what is and isn't valuable for them to do individually.  

• 888 posts
    October 19, 2021 1:49 PM PDT
    I don't like the idea of having specific Epic equipment at all. It creates a very limited list of "best" gear, which causes everyone to strive for the same thing, rather than us having our own goals. It also creates a rather boring homogeneity for the top characters.
    • 2419 posts
    October 19, 2021 1:57 PM PDT

I want 'epic' to not refer to the reward necessarily, but the time, effort, complexity, scope and scale of the quest itself.  Yes, of course, the reward should be commensurate with the effort put into obtaining it, so 'epic' in that regard should apply to any reward from such a quest.