Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - In-game pets, real and/or cosmetic

• 947 posts
    October 21, 2021 9:07 PM PDT

I do not like vanity pets... or any pet that can't be affected by the environment.  So I am not a fan of the current RNGR mechanic that magically/instantly/temporarily summons pets as attacks.  To me that is solely cosmetic (i.e. vanity).  Unless it is explained as some kind of arcane summoning and the animals aren't actually real, but then that doesn't fit the typical "Ranger" archtype.  I find it unappealing to have bears and panthers jumping out of the RNGR's pocket for a split second and then vanish.

I do however love actual pet classes.  If the summoner had a mechanic where arcamentals were summoned for a singular attack (similar to the PRotF or the EQ Mage) that would be baller IMO.  Giant elemental fists from the ground to crush or grasp an enemy, or a wind saber from thin air to slash the target.  I can appreciate the DRU, SHM and SMNR pets.  I'm assuming the NEC will have some undead pet, and of course charm is always nice.  Their pets can be affected by the environment and stick around for longer than a split second.  

• 8 posts
    October 23, 2021 9:20 AM PDT

As in all things, value comes from rarity / uniqueness.

So real pets for pet classes definitively yes (and there should be a 'Whouaa' factor), but no cosmetic pets at all.

I dont't want to see a world filled with cosmetic pets following their owner...

• 238 posts
    October 23, 2021 7:17 PM PDT

I love class pets. One of the best visual examples of power gain is the size of the EQ pets from your tiny newbie pet to massive pets that just keep getting bigger year after year. My hat goes off to whomever though of that effect.

Vanity pets on the other hand can go right into the waste bin as far as I care. I put them right around my lack of love for cosmetic stars or hearts floating around your character that serve no purpose.

• 768 posts
    October 23, 2021 9:37 PM PDT

If it makes sense for a class to have a pet for utility in some fashion, then yes.

I'm inclined to agree with Vandraad, if you want to have a pet, play a pet class otherwise accept that there are none.

In the case the game decides to implement pets, I would be ok with the following;

Any other pets bought or earned would only reside within the perimeter of that character's home/house and would not venture away from that spot.

Since they do not facilitate the character in any real way, there is no need to have them running about throughout the world. 

• 888 posts
    October 23, 2021 11:52 PM PDT
    Vanity pets could be very interesting and add flavor to the game, but this has yet to be done in a MMO (to my knowledge). The main problems with vanity pets is that they serve no non-cash shop purpose, they tend to be obnoxious, and they are so common as to become a visual blight rather than actually adding to the character or the game.

To actually do them right, they need to be far less common, their movement and behavior needs to feel real (i.e. not just closely following), and they need to actually interact with the game world. Something more like a utility pet, rather than vanity. A crow which could be trained to fly ahead and circle over mobs would be fun. A carrier pigeon could be used to 'turn in' some specific quests and return with the next part of the quest. There's many other possibilities for this kind of utility pet, but it would need to be enough of an expense / hassle to keep alive and offer a limited enough benefit that no more than 5 - 10% of characters have them. If they could be that and have a very long leash so they aren't always even in sight, then I would want that.
    • 49 posts
    October 24, 2021 12:17 AM PDT
    Pantheon being a tactical game, means that a big part if it is also to observe the environment for cues to react to. Vanity pets, serving no purpose is just a distraction imo. I dont see the need.
    In military operations the OODA loop is often refered to as being key.
    - Observe, - Orient, - Decide, - Act.
    I think the same OODA loop will be key to how successfull groups and raids will be in Pantheon.