Forums » Pantheon Races

Racial vision

• 68 posts
    October 10, 2021 10:32 AM PDT
    If it's been discussed I missed it.. Has there been any discussion about different races having varying levels of night/dark vision?
    • 2037 posts
    October 10, 2021 3:53 PM PDT

We have been told that day and night will have significantly different qualities. To the point where nighttime in area X might seem like an almost entirely different place, with different dangers and rewards.

We've also been told that in addition to the common darkness of nighttime, which simply requires a light source like a torch or an illumination spell on an item, there may be places where a more magical darkness will exist that requires some more powerful type of remedy in order to see anything. I don't recall if that will fit into the glyph system, or if we were told that much detail. It WAS a while ago.

Nothing that I am aware of has suggested a Racial remedy for either darkness. However, while we know of Racial 'passive' abilities, there will be Racial active abilites - that I assume will require triggering, more like a normal class ability that one  has on the hotbar. We don't know what those active abilities are yet. So night vision could certainly be one of them.

Maybe someone else has heard more, and will respond.

• 612 posts
    October 10, 2021 4:48 PM PDT

They have said several times that there will be various Abilities/Spells that can effect your vision, either by just providing light or actually granting you Darkvision, Ultravision, Thermalvision or some such.

Cohh asked about these (Darkvision, Ultravision, Thermalvision) back in Jan 2021 (source) and Joppa just gave a "yes" answer without going into details.

So they have not yet specifically said that any Race would have any of these 'Passively' just from being that Race.

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at October 10, 2021 4:48 PM PDT
    • 68 posts
    October 10, 2021 7:43 PM PDT
    Yeah, but like Dark Elves weren't "granted" or have to activate dark vision. They just had it. I'd expect races like Dorfs and Elves to see st night better than humans. Per se. They've said both about this yet?
    • 612 posts
    October 11, 2021 4:16 PM PDT

dudimous said: Yeah, but like Dark Elves weren't "granted" or have to activate dark vision. They just had it. I'd expect races like Dorfs and Elves to see st night better than humans. Per se. They've said both about this yet?

Perhaps you would like to read the last sentence in my previous post again.

• 68 posts
    October 11, 2021 4:31 PM PDT
    A smartass. I can appreciate that...
    • 2752 posts
    October 12, 2021 9:35 AM PDT

I sort of hope this isn't something innate to any of the races. Darkness is supposed to be something big for players to deal with and/or overcome. Seems like a huge waste of a system/environment that could otherwise be really engaging and cool if for some (or most if anything like EQ) it isn't really a big deal. 

• 68 posts
    October 12, 2021 10:03 AM PDT
    But then you have nocturnal races like elves (traditionally) and subterranean races like dorfs blind as a bat in their natural environment. Dark myr are from the ocean depths. Its pitch black down there. Everyone's vision is the same? Let races have actual diversity. Everyone has +5 to blah and +5 to something else? Bhah
    • 2037 posts
    October 12, 2021 11:28 AM PDT

dudimous said: But then you have nocturnal races like elves (traditionally) and subterranean races like dorfs blind as a bat in their natural environment. Dark myr are from the ocean depths. Its pitch black down there. Everyone's vision is the same? Let races have actual diversity. Everyone has +5 to blah and +5 to something else? Bhah

Not every aspect of real life can - or should - be represented in the Game. Darkness is going to be a specific condition that players encounter in certain situations, requiring a limited assortment of potential solutions to overcome. We haven't seen much of that functionality yet, but what we've seen suggests that when you go into the dark you either have a solution - like a torch - or you can't see. (Which may not be all that absolute anyway, given a Player's ability to change the brightness & gamma settings of their screen)

It seems quite reasonable to me to not have an extra variable based on Race that uniquely affects each character's experience.

So far, the Races seem quite diverse to me already.

F.Y.I. Bats have good vision in addition to the sonar they use in total darkness.

This post was edited by Jothany at October 12, 2021 11:31 AM PDT