Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Other than your usual...

• 150 posts
    September 4, 2021 1:29 PM PDT

Forgot to mention the ability to challenge certain NPCs to a duel.

If the NPC accepts the duel, which could require high faction and a quest turn-in, other NPCs would gather round. If you the player lose, the quest turn-in is lost and the NPC will scoff or make note of it whenever you approach them again / set foot in town. If you are victorious, the NPC either dies or accepts defeat and gives over a lore item so that you may continue on your quest. In either event, you avoid taking negative faction hits, except perhaps directly with that specific NPC. When dueled, the NPC respawns, becoming the same level as the challenger and immune to all other player characters. No other NPCs assist in the fight, unless by design, as part of the duel.

Depending on the quest, the duel may or may not require the player to be restricted from using certain abilities and/or spells. A duel might even boost faction with the NPC if, say, it was a grandmaster and you, being a pupil of theirs, wished to gain a new skill to become a more powerful monk. Your trainer/teacher would be dismayed, but not at all surprised, if you lost in a duel against them (-faction), but they would also be proud of you (+faction) if you somehow gained the upper hand. Or the opposite could be true, in the case of the dire lord class. "The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

It might not work, but the idea seems very D&D, especially if the NPC isn't killed outright but instead yields at low health. It isn't all murder hobo combat and it isn't all kumbaya diplomacy.

This post was edited by Leevolen at September 4, 2021 9:12 PM PDT
    • 810 posts
    September 4, 2021 4:27 PM PDT
    I get the appeal, but breeding animals seems really far out there unless they made it a trade skill.

Breed the fastest mount, fastest sprint, longest jump, highest jump, the highest carry weight, or even the fastest to mount / dismount (no instant horse pocket, make people vulnerable)
    • 65 posts
    September 5, 2021 3:45 PM PDT

Jobeson said: I get the appeal, but breeding animals seems really far out there unless they made it a trade skill. Breed the fastest mount, fastest sprint, longest jump, highest jump, the highest carry weight, or even the fastest to mount / dismount (no instant horse pocket, make people vulnerable)

A trade skill is exactly what I was talking about. If done well, you won't be simply able to make the animal best in all stats. There will be tradeoffs and lots of grinding and experimentation needed to bring up your skills and develop your animals. This can be used for pet classes.

• 223 posts
    September 5, 2021 3:49 PM PDT

A lot of ideas out here. 

Just want to say that sometimes less is best. Else pantheon may end up like the rest.

• 168 posts
    September 6, 2021 6:59 AM PDT
    I loved the taxidermy system of DAoC. It very much would belong in a game with housing.

Warhammer had achievements that you wore on your belt iirc
    • 256 posts
    September 7, 2021 10:09 AM PDT

I think that treasure maps might be a cool edition. They could further tie in the exploration sphere with the perception system by utilizing the insight and investigation skills. 

Traps might be a cool addition, along with the skills to perceive and disarm them.

Alternate advancements would be cool as they give players a way to continue working on their characters past max level. 

• 80 posts
    September 7, 2021 10:35 AM PDT

Roleplaying. There probably won't be a dedicated RP server, but if there are more people on a server who RP, the more immersion it creates for exploring the world. Plus, it makes "leet gamers, power/pvp-gamers, hackers, and trolls" feel /left out/ or /not accepted/, which, in my opinion, is always a good thing. If the party is gathering and there are plans to travel to a certain city over dangerous and/or long terrain/roads or to a new unexplored ruin and you hear "Hail, Athas, son of Gond..." instead of "WTF is up with this dumb-ass party do we got a cleric lets get this stupid show on the road" I prefer the former over the latter.

• 2138 posts
    September 11, 2021 9:19 PM PDT

Not sure how practical this is or how it can be implemented without it becoming too much like a solo rpg, but with the attraction of like second life and Syms- what about an option to be townsfolk?. The only thing is that it might be like project M, or it could be actual work, like, concocted by the economist where you have to have to create equilibrium-or at least get close, or completely fail- in all the markets in town if a merchant within a certain amount of time before you switch merchant types, cloth, bar keep, spells, etc.  

Or be a guard?  but thats too much like project M. A priest or guild trainer I could see, where the goal would be having to beg for a certain amount of donations and maybe encourage a certain number of PC believers to come into the temple (not convert, just have them enter) or a guild trainer needs to have X number of players get X number of skill points- even 1- in their session. It would be a way to make the towns more dynamic because you would have live interacting players- as NPC's sort of, but doing NPC/town type things.

Unfortunately you could not be a "helpful person" because that would mean too much CR requirements/rules and oversight and crosses the line into eemployment. 

the only hitch I see is how to translate your townsfolk time/exp into player character benefit/axp/ability. I dont want it to be an an alt route for faction but it would have to translate into somehting else to be something a person would want to come back to after the initial novelty wore off. Like,  if you didnt want to "play" but just wanted to hang out in pantheon and listen to the world go by whilst you puttered about in town- maybe even crafting.

OR

Same idea but virtually impossible/ rage-quittingly high difficulty with...all the "enemy" races. You want to do "townsfolk" for a little bit? Fine. Today you are a(n) spriggan! *pop* Deal with it. You go in, not knowing the language, cannot read the cuneform-like writing so you follow one around and- get killed for following one around. Session ends. Hoo-kayyy, mental note: if spriggan again, dont follow another spriggan.  success score: -10. survival as race did not equal >10min or something.  Because you failed your next opportunity will be in -whatever- 24hours. (24hours later) today you are a(n) Orc! *pop* - but wait! I thought I was going to be a spriggan again!,- but that opportunity wont come around again, chance reduced in RNG because of failure first time, muahahaha.

• 627 posts
    September 12, 2021 1:17 AM PDT
    Achivements can be fun, give ud insentive to climb thst high mountain and dive into the endless ponds!

Maybe link achivements points with cosmetic rewards and titels.
    • 118 posts
    September 19, 2021 5:48 PM PDT

I like the idea of individual and guild bounties on PvP servers.

• 234 posts
    September 27, 2021 9:39 AM PDT

WHAT: A Crime & Punishment system to include - Jail time or fines for people caught for example pickpocketing, killing NPCs that should be protected by a guard, etc. 
    WHY: Its fun to get away with things

WHAT: Non-Instanced housing 
    WHY: Because everyone probably wants this for more reasons than I can state here

WHAT: Personal boats
    WHY: Having the freedom to move about a large body of water and sharing that experience with friends would bring a not yet found in any MMO fun experience to the game

WHAT: Language learning system
    WHY: It adds some depth for RP

WHAT: Drunk mode
    WHY: A good drunk mode is always fun to share with friends

WHAT: Heavy load transfer system - IE: Carts, Visible backpack, etc.  That one could use to haul a big load somewhere
    WHY: Would add some depth to travel if one had to transfer heavy loads over long distances and protect their loot - also nothing wrong with making this an option over having to travel to a city every single time you need to unload your bags.  Carts parked nearby would be cool.

WHAT: Cartography system that allows unique custom maps to be created and traded to other players + Map table to allow the study of maps with group members
    WHY: Because the real inhabitants of Terminus would probably do this if they could and filling out such a map with a group of friends would be fun to do