Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Camps from a design perspective

• 1921 posts
    September 9, 2021 8:13 AM PDT

Byproducts said:

My question was more about how much you want to see the game be like EQ in that regards (eg build it and they will camp,) and how much you'd rather them design the world so that sitting directly on top of spawns isn't necessary at least not the more efficient approach?

IMO:

If there's enough content, there will be no or less friction for camps.
    If loot is distributed like Mischief TLP, customers will be less inclined to camp in one spot.
    If server population is set to an appropriate cap, there will be no or less friction for all content.
    If zones are designed appropriately for the expected server population, there will be no or less friction for all content.

From my perspective, those design goals are what will determine the answers to your questions.   Being able to safely walk a naked level 1 woodelf druid from the BR to King Room in lguk during primetime wasn't the result of a conscious design choice or plan.   It was because there wasn't enough content, too many players, and/or combinations of the two.

The unfortunate reality is that how content WAS consumed is not how content will be consumed.  All customers aren't the polite socially conscious friendlies of the past.  Content is considered resources to consume, and that's it.  You spend x time to get y resources to achieve z goals.  Other players don't factor into the equation, because the TOS/EULA permits ignoring other players.

These plans that Visionary Realms has that everyone is going to play nice are not going to survive in the face of GoonSquad tactics.  Bringing 100, 200, 300 or however many playing characters into a zone, and monopolizing every spawn for 8+ hours, for weeks at a time, is a viable option for some guilds.  They WILL do it.

• 332 posts
    September 9, 2021 8:11 PM PDT

I want to see no VR intervention , there job is building the world.

Are job is playing it and making are own social connections ie friends , groups or guilds and with that being said. 

The server's will establish there own social norms when it comes to things as camps , a server pnp or it being cut throat.

• 1281 posts
    September 12, 2021 5:55 PM PDT

I prefer an organic design. I like it when the areas look like they are built by the inhabitants of the dungeon.

Things like camps and strategies should not be manufactured but rather something players discover and create.

• 33 posts
    September 13, 2021 7:03 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I prefer an organic design. I like it when the areas look like they are built by the inhabitants of the dungeon.

Things like camps and strategies should not be manufactured but rather something players discover and create.

Complete agree with this. Let us have a big playground, we'll come up with ways to have fun!

• 370 posts
    September 13, 2021 9:59 AM PDT

Byproducts said:

starblight said:

Not sure it would appeal to the majority of players though.

That's the rub, right? Most of us here would like a stream like that BETTER, but how much of Cohh's audience (for example) would sit around to watch him... sit around? And listen to a bunch of detailed gameplay chat? But I don't see them doing that as a dev stream because there wouldn't be anybody around to ask questions.

Again for clarification, I'm not saying they should set up neon signs saying "camp here," but instead have the occasional spot that is intentionally a little bit safer than the surrounding area. It would still be up to the players to find and utilize or ignore them.

Honestly let Cohh go in with some other Pre-Alpha players, not the dev's, and let him just grind it out and talk to his chat. That is the best way to showcase a camp. The streamer gets audience engagment without having to do Q&A with the dev's. You can use a few select Pre-Alpha players to do the heavy lifting of the camp. I think it would be a solid stream actually.

I've stopped watching the streams and just looking for the highlights honestly because of the Q&A and it feels very scripted what the dev's want to say. It isn't as entertaining for me. 

This post was edited by EppE at September 13, 2021 10:00 AM PDT