Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Thoughts on Diminished Returns

• 113 posts
    September 7, 2021 4:24 PM PDT

If you look back at older streams Enchanter mez was being resisted, alot it seemed. That was obviously before the refactor so I'm guessing it needs tuning still, but prealpha and all so.

In early EQ, Enchanter was anything but easy or boring spam OP. You had to remember the order you mezzed the mobs in, deal with people breaking mez, know how to handle resists (root, PB stun, alert tanks), call mezzes out and stuff, watch your mana, and had a decent cast time to deal with, plus major agro generated. I loved the play style and hope that pantheon CC goes that direction. It was like a tactical dance watching everything going on with a pull and when you owned the room it felt Great to be a good chanter and people freakin knew it too. 

I'm not convinced that mez specifically is a good DR candidate

Final edit hehe. While the Charm mechanics in Pantheon seem cool, I hope they don't overshadow the control archetype like happened in later EQ and turn chanter in to something else.

This post was edited by GeneralReb at September 7, 2021 4:28 PM PDT
    • 118 posts
    September 19, 2021 6:58 PM PDT

I am hesitant to call for the wholesale removal of any tools from the the designers' kit. Greater variety in mob behavior makes for less predictable encounters. Perhaps dispositions and atmospheres cancel some DR or create others. Perhaps DR equally applies when NPC enchanters mez players. I am confident that DR will be well measured when used by Joppa and company.

It is not necessary, and even bad, if every class is equally useful in all situations. It wouldn't bother me one bit if there was a dungeon where the design meant that enchanters would have a harder time in that location. It never bothered me in EQ when I couldn't SoW myself indoors on my druid or ranger. I like it when design robs part of my kit. Thereby causing me to have to develop new paradigms for dealing with the new situation. For instance it makes sense to me that an ice wizard might have to deal with DR in a location called Ice Clad Peaks where a fire wizard does not. The goal not being only to hobble the ice wizard, but also to give them something to look forward to when they later acquire fire power. (perhaps by consuming a certain flower! Bah-dun-chsssh)  In the mean time the ice wizard is forced to used unimproved fire spells and lean more on other players when moving through the area.

This post was edited by CelevinMoongleam at September 19, 2021 6:59 PM PDT