Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Should Dispositions Be Hidden?

• 947 posts
    August 9, 2021 8:50 PM PDT

I like the idea of having a handful of dispositions that a given NPC type (name prefix) can have... for example, a caster of a specific race may have a few dispositions that include flee, call for help, or maybe CC the highest DPS in a group, while you will eventually learn that melee of that same race could have a 'fearless' type of disposition that makes them immune to flee, persistent that makes them immune to taunt, or blood lust that makes them attack the squishies/most damaged player... 

I don't like the idea of having completely random and unknown dispositions for every NPC though.  For me a big part of playing an MMO is being able to somewhat predict my opponent's behavior before they do it (this is how I pvp too).  I take time to learn what every class can do, so that when I encounter it, I can play accordingly.  A learning curve is to be expected, but never knowing what to expect will get vrey annoying if there are going to be over 20 dispositions with "no way" to identify which enemy was capable of what.

• 888 posts
    August 10, 2021 12:45 PM PDT
    Perception needs to remain an optional feature that enhances lore. If it provides a combat advantage, like it being used to spot disposition, it becomes a defacto requirement.

Determining disposition should be a player skill, not a character skill. Different dispositions should manifest with different stances, emotes, interactions with other mobs, and facial expressions.
    • 810 posts
    August 10, 2021 9:38 PM PDT

Counterfleche said: Perception needs to remain an optional feature that enhances lore. If it provides a combat advantage, like it being used to spot disposition, it becomes a defacto requirement. Determining disposition should be a player skill, not a character skill. Different dispositions should manifest with different stances, emotes, interactions with other mobs, and facial expressions.

I wish they would just give up the binary choice idea.  Perception to learn about creatures and dispositions etc is great.  Fill up your codex with all information about every creature like a morbid pokedex.  I don't see why that should that impact the lore based perception though. 

I know x is weak to fire, therefore I cannot also know how to activate this magic bridge. We will have to wait until it is seen in action, but my money is on lore people being super rare so they don't kill themselves while soloing. 

This post was edited by Jobeson at August 10, 2021 9:40 PM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    August 11, 2021 9:47 AM PDT

Jobeson said:

I wish they would just give up the binary choice idea. 

I know long ago there were plans for branches of Keeper but I can't remember hearing about that anytime recently. Pretty sure perception is all just about giving a new way to find/engage with quests/story/lore. 

• 67 posts
    August 12, 2021 11:38 PM PDT

Dispositions are unremovable, right? It might fit to the enchanters class, to just remove a disposition from an enemy.