Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Aesthetics as a Crafting Class: Stylist

• 13 posts
    July 18, 2021 10:12 AM PDT

So, one thing I haven't seen in an MMO that I think would be a HUGE carrot for players is the ability to craft aesthetics.

Hair Styles, Make-up, auras etc...

Would be awesome to have like a Sugar Skull make-up, sparkling hair, or an aura that makes you look godly...All crafted....

Figuring out new styles would be a Ureka moment in crafting. For example, having a scaling % as you level up to figure out new aesthetics while also discovering plans or schematics in the world that unlock the ability to craft them.

This is a fledgling idea, and I really just wanted to open up the idea for VR and the community to expound upon.

This post was edited by Cryptfox at July 18, 2021 10:15 AM PDT
    • 2033 posts
    July 18, 2021 10:21 AM PDT

I myself don't have a lot of interest in such things, but I'm aware many gamers place a lot of importance on it. It might be well received.

I think that the idea might work as an expansion. The amount of art that would need to be created would seem to me to count against seeing anything like that added before release.

• 41 posts
    July 18, 2021 10:43 AM PDT

SWG had this. It was called Image Designer. They also had access to various styles unavailable at character creation. The only way to reallocate stats was to visit an ID. They were highly sought after.

• 94 posts
    July 19, 2021 11:08 AM PDT

I'm not a huge aesthetics person myself either, but I'm not opposed as long as the items aren't too spectacular and don't take away from dropped item significance. No unicorn helmets or something that resembles a hard to acquire item. It would be cool to take one component of a piece of gear and be able to transfer it to another in a purely aesthetic way. I'm thinking a gemstone in the hilt or decorative adornment on plate. Even embroidery from cloth armor. It could be a way to keep an appearance from an item you've earned in future gear as well.

• 13 posts
    July 19, 2021 12:23 PM PDT

Edaemus said:

I'm not a huge aesthetics person myself either, but I'm not opposed as long as the items aren't too spectacular and don't take away from dropped item significance. No unicorn helmets or something that resembles a hard to acquire item. It would be cool to take one component of a piece of gear and be able to transfer it to another in a purely aesthetic way. I'm thinking a gemstone in the hilt or decorative adornment on plate. Even embroidery from cloth armor. It could be a way to keep an appearance from an item you've earned in future gear as well.

Yea I love that. 

Like if you have a piece of gear with good stats but want to change the way it looks cus you don't like the look of it.

• 612 posts
    July 21, 2021 4:40 PM PDT

Brad (Aradune) and Chris (Joppa) have said many times in the past that they want item visuals to be distinctive and recognizable. If you could make any sword look like a flaming sword, then there is no distinctiveness to actually owning a flaming sword. So it is very unlikely that we will ever see any type of transmog to make one item look like a different item, even if you already have that other item.

As for hairstyles and Armor dyes and such... that's a different thing and maybe we might see it, but you also have to consider how much time it takes for them to develop not only the mechanics for this kind of thing, but also the design of each such thing and so forth. So if it ever does happen I'm guessing it might be later in an expansion or DLC.

• 256 posts
    July 25, 2021 6:01 AM PDT

I wouldn't mind players being able to craft aesthetics like hairstyles, makeup, tattoos... etc. 

However, there would have to be an overarching system that supports these aesthetics and would allow for player customization outside of character creation. Right now, I think the team is probably using their time and resources to focus on other major projects. If we see a feature like this it will probably arrive in a future expansion.

• 247 posts
    August 7, 2021 1:49 AM PDT
    .. just no no transmog let the armor show let us see that what people in have on.. It should represent what you've been through... And what you've been able to accomplish. And vr are spending a lot of time to make armor look great.
    • 768 posts
    August 10, 2021 8:55 AM PDT

@cryptfox

What resources do you expect to find in the world to be used by a stylist?

How would they influence the economy? Or would it create a niche economy within the main economy?

Do you suggest that a stylist can add or modify a player's character that will be beneficial, be it adventure or tradeskill?

When it's all fluff, would you be discouraged or feel let down if the expansions present you with very little extra content?

Speaking of content, how do you envision content for a stylist? Content that would be different from other tradeskill classes and specific for them?

It might not be a priority to get this class and content/gear into the game. Would you be ok if that class is added after couple of years?

I would like to enjoy the standard variety for at least several years, before something like fluff and such come into the game.

I look forward to your reply.

This post was edited by Barin999 at August 10, 2021 8:57 AM PDT