Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Tavern Talk - Character Creation - What's your typical build?

• 9115 posts
    July 15, 2021 3:51 AM PDT

Tavern Talk - Character Creation - What's your typical go-to character build? Do you max out the size and height, make them as small as possible, try to make them good looking or create an abomination? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 71 posts
    July 15, 2021 5:09 AM PDT

It really depends on how i'm feeling in terms of appearance and height but I generally play things I find cute or cool or both in some degree.

why? because I'd rather look at that for hours and months on end then something bland or boring. *coughhumancough*

• 810 posts
    July 15, 2021 7:11 AM PDT

This is a tough question because at least half of my PCs are as average as possible.  I play a ton of table top gaming and I love the irony of having the group of edge lord orphan anti heroes then me with an average guy who got in over his head.  Alternatively I RP a local who fits into the setting.  This is my most common PC by a mile, but I have never had fun doing this in an MMO. 

For MMOs I love my PC to look smug.  If there is a voice selection I pick the most condescending.  If there was a preset face people want to punch it would probably be the one I base my PC on.  Ideally with the irony of being small and still looking down on everyone.  I RP an overall kind helpful person in virtually every MMO, but my PCs looks align with my actions when I encounter gankers, botters, hackers, scammers, etc. 

• 3852 posts
    July 15, 2021 7:27 AM PDT

Without exception I focus on the hairdo. When adventuring all I ever see is the back of the character, so why not? I often take the default face options unless I think they look awful.

I also never take any larger than human race such as ogre or troll - it simply blocks more of the screen that I am comfortable with and may even have trouble getting through some doors - depending on the game.

I will never win a MMO diversity award. When I find a look I really like I use it on all characters of that race. 

• 888 posts
    July 15, 2021 8:03 AM PDT
    If i have a specific character concept, I will design the look around that. Otherwise, I usually prefer tallish female characters with long dark or multi-color hair and minimal face/body accessories. Maybe some gothy make-up, but no tattoos / piercings. Weight slider is usually skinny and chest slider is almost always the minimum size (which in many games is still a C or D cup).
    While i don't play male characters as often, they generally are also tall and thin. I don't like bulky muscles and prefer to go with a more fit / athletic look.

I soend hours crafting a look I like and the more we're able to create distinct looks, the more connected and emotionally invested I am in the character. If there are only a few baseline faces and hairstyles, I lose interest in the game. For me, character creation is an important creative outlet and it goes a long way to determining how long i stick with a game. Note that i don't need a million fine detail sliders, like ear lobe size, but i do want lots of faces, hairstyles, hair color options, and ways to make faces look different.
    • 392 posts
    July 15, 2021 8:15 AM PDT

For my main toon I'll build him close to an image of myself roleplaying that race/class.

For alts though its what ever I think looks cool, unless its a female alt then its just waifu dress up.

• 1281 posts
    July 15, 2021 8:19 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Tavern Talk - Character Creation - What's your typical go-to character build? Do you max out the size and height, make them as small as possible, try to make them good looking or create an abomination? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

I have a pre-conceived image of what I want them to look like in my head.  Then I try to match what I see on the screen as closely as I can to that image.

• 2419 posts
    July 15, 2021 9:33 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I just randomize stuff. As I never play humans I really do not care about the size of the ears or the exact width of the nose.  None of that is going to be apparent when you're in the game anyway, well, not unless you're standing absolutely still and someone is looking at you really closely.

Only ARK had a character creation tool that had such a wide lattitude for creating absolutely bizarre bodies. Case in point, a character from ARK:

If and only if Pantheon allowed such freedoms would I even bother spending more than a few seconds on character creation.

• 326 posts
    July 15, 2021 10:42 AM PDT

Main focus is what race has the best racials of my chosen class. After that I will chose whatever body size should show off the various armors the best. 

• 150 posts
    July 15, 2021 10:46 AM PDT

My approach to any build has involved recreating the same characters from other MMO/RPGs whenever possible, treating the new game as an alternate universe where each individual story will play itself out in line with the world lore. The original idea behind each character was similar thoughto make characters that contradicted or distorted the immediate image that came to mind for their class. A frail, unimposing paladin who would have trouble wielding the standard two handed weapon, much less wearing a full suit of plate armor, opting instead for chainmail or a robe whenever possible. A bard whose travels left them with a worn down, rough exterior and darkly crude humor. A ranger with only one good eye and either a visible scar across the other or a patch covering the disfigurement. 

• 209 posts
    July 15, 2021 11:23 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

For me it depends on my character concept. I tend to make tank-type characters bigger than rogues or casters and I also like to make smaller race characters smaller and bigger race characters bigger. I never try to make an abomination. That title is usually bestowed on me by other players once they see me play. :)

• 94 posts
    July 16, 2021 6:21 AM PDT

I tend to either randomize or make the look "fit" my class in some way. Either way, I don't usually spend too much time as I want to get in and play. Having the ability to create my characters prior to launch may mean that I spend more time with Pantheon's than I do other games however.

• 2752 posts
    July 16, 2021 10:22 AM PDT

The smallest possible person for a tank and the largest most goofy looking person possible for casters or DPS. Love to make some Monster Factory looking characters. 

• 724 posts
    July 16, 2021 10:28 AM PDT

I expect I will:

Ranger Halfling, small but one or two ticks above minimum.

Cute and handsome.

If I make a large race warrior type, also on the small side but butt ugly abomination.  Loveable monster 

• 690 posts
    July 16, 2021 4:33 PM PDT

I usually make an abomination first. It's fun yet easy so I can get into the game fast, and still have some sort of good memory if the game ends up being horrible.

If I really like the game, and it doesnt just cover all your effort in armor like dark souls, I might make something really cool afterwords.

As for size, I'll usually go small in a game with pvp for stealth and smaller hit boxes, but prefer tall outside of that, cuz I'm tall.

• 627 posts
    July 17, 2021 4:57 AM PDT
    Always male, serious look, beards are cool, racial assessories are also neet, like tattoos, rings or what ever fits the lore are most welcome.
    • 1281 posts
    July 17, 2021 8:47 AM PDT

I just make medium size/shape characters that are not too extreme one way or another.

• 63 posts
    July 21, 2021 7:33 AM PDT

I think it's fun to make them look like me, if I pick a humanish race, so handsome of course.

• 8 posts
    July 21, 2021 7:49 AM PDT

Depends on what I play for me. If im playing a tank class, I lke to be as big as possible, to be able to stand out from the group. If im playing a rouge type class, or some other stealthy type, I like to make my character smaller. Any other type of character, I just go with what I feel.

This post was edited by ChrisStebbins at July 21, 2021 7:50 AM PDT
    • 520 posts
    July 30, 2021 2:23 PM PDT

I like to make my avatar belivable/fitting their race/class and roleplayed character. So tall, slim elves - depending on class dark blond hairs, bulky tanks, short gnomes etc. I hope there wont be possibility to do caricatural PCs.

This post was edited by Hegenox at July 30, 2021 2:24 PM PDT
    • 2041 posts
    July 30, 2021 3:11 PM PDT

Hegenox said:  I hope there wont be possibility to do caricatural PCs.

It never would have occured to me...but since it was mentioned, I completely agree with this position.

• 112 posts
    August 1, 2021 9:01 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Depends on the class i am playing. Warriors tend to be tall and stocky with a few scars. Healers more noble  and  slim and average looks. Casters are very slim and average looks. 

• 2138 posts
    August 3, 2021 2:33 PM PDT

I say I want to play a melee, but deep down I dont think I can handle the responsibility. I say I want to play a healer type, but deep down I dont think I can handle the reliability. I say I want to play a support type, but deep down I dont think I can handle the complexity.

I say alot of things.

For some reason, I don't mind the frustration of the early struggle as a caster type.