Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Matters Most - Gameplay or Graphics and why?

• 209 posts
    July 15, 2021 11:42 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What Matters Most - Gameplay or Graphics and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Of course gameplay. Great graphics can make a good game even better, but they can't help a poor gameplay experience.

Craft great gameplay for a solid win, and then add great graphics to knock it out of the park. ;)

• 184 posts
    July 15, 2021 9:24 PM PDT

After 20 years I think EverQuest has proven its Gameplay over Graphics, Gameplay is what drives many of us to play the game the graphics if good are just icing on the cake.

• 63 posts
    July 21, 2021 7:41 AM PDT

Gameplay of course, but with today's technology I think a balance of the the two is a resaonable request.

• 129 posts
    July 24, 2021 4:25 PM PDT

Most? Gameplay I enjoy.

I played P99 for 10 years. That said, the gameplay of the live servers doesn't suite me, so bad graphics + meh gameplay = nope. Let's be upfront though, if you launch Pantheon and your animations are rough, not smooth, or poorly designed; if the NPC's feel like they are from the 1990's; and you don't have any graphics that can interest people as a 2021 game; then your success may not be as good as you want.

Cool features and gimmicks aside, the game needs to feel right and look the part in conjunction with having solid gameplay as the foundation.

Gameplay = Foundation

Looks, Feel, Comfort = House.

This post was edited by Rogue at July 24, 2021 4:27 PM PDT
    • 220 posts
    July 24, 2021 7:17 PM PDT
    Gameplay = replay value keeps you coming back for more.

Graphic = a pretty face turns normal after awhile

Having played both I prefer gameplay, that's why I keep playing old Super Nintendo games once in awhile the gameplay is fun
    • 33 posts
    July 25, 2021 5:21 PM PDT

I'd say art style and animations are 3x more important than graphic fedility. I've picked race / class based off neat animations.

But of course with everyone else, gameplay. 

• 902 posts
    July 26, 2021 2:03 AM PDT

Most important is game play. A game can last a long time just as long as the game has depth and involving story lines coupled with an engaging world to live in. Look at EQ1! Don’t get me wrong, great graphics are expected these days and should be in the mix, but the game play is the real test. As you engaged in the world, the graphics become less and less dominant to your attention and the game play takes over.

Great art pulls people in. Great game play keeps them coming back. Great art will gives you moments of joy, great game play lives with you long after the play session.

This post was edited by chenzeme at July 26, 2021 2:04 AM PDT
    • 119 posts
    July 26, 2021 5:51 AM PDT

Poor Graphics will ensure the game does not grow beyond a niche.

Poor gameplay (or stagnent gameplay with no changes) will ensure even the niche gives up 12 months later.

• 97 posts
    July 28, 2021 11:57 AM PDT

There is a symbiotic relationship between form and function. I would say they are equally important and are supposed to compliment each other.

This is why people are drawn to a MMORPG's over something like tabletop game, or even a mathematical pen n' paper game.
    The visual representation allows us to more easily become immersed in the world.  Function without any form is purely numeric and taxes the imagination. Form without any function appears like a static useless appendage.  Ofc meaning is in the eye of the beholder. So I would say being absolutist in either form or factor is not the way. They both need each other equally as much.

• 520 posts
    July 28, 2021 12:11 PM PDT

Gameplay by far - i can spend hundreds or tousends of hours in a game that doesn't look appealing, but draws me in gameplaywise, but i've never played in a great looking but boring and gameplaywise unappealing game for more than two days.