Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - After creating a new character...

• 9115 posts
    June 28, 2021 3:56 AM PDT

Community Debate - After creating a new character, do you use whatever weapons/spells you can get your hands on or do you hunt for your ideal weapon/spell setup from level 1? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 71 posts
    June 28, 2021 4:28 AM PDT

It depends on the style of mmo that i'm playing. 

If i'm playing a MMORPG (like WoW) I usually just go with whatever's stronger or makes me stronger and call it a day. 
    If i'm playin a RPG-MMO (a term coined by jesse cox) then I usually go with whatever fits my character's rpg build and if it doesn't fit it then I just effectively toss it. 

This post was edited by znushu at June 28, 2021 4:29 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    June 28, 2021 5:05 AM PDT

I would hope that a lvl 1 player does not have any idea what the "ideal" weapon/spell setup is (at least until a good while after launch, when things have become common knowledge on websites etc)!

So, obviously I would try to upgrade as I go, go by hear-say from other players about good upgrades etc, and of course look up spell lists as they become available.

• 9115 posts
    June 28, 2021 5:13 AM PDT

znushu said:

It depends on the style of mmo that i'm playing. 

If i'm playing a MMORPG (like WoW) I usually just go with whatever's stronger or makes me stronger and call it a day. 
    If i'm playin a RPG-MMO (a term coined by jesse cox) then I usually go with whatever fits my character's rpg build and if it doesn't fit it then I just effectively toss it. 

This is how I typically play too :)

• 9115 posts
    June 28, 2021 5:15 AM PDT

Sarim said:

I would hope that a lvl 1 player does not have any idea what the "ideal" weapon/spell setup is (at least until a good while after launch, when things have become common knowledge on websites etc)!

So, obviously I would try to upgrade as I go, go by hear-say from other players about good upgrades etc, and of course look up spell lists as they become available.

Ideal as in, I'm playing a Rogue and want dual daggers. Do I use a 2 hander sword until I find them or do I craft my own, do I buy some cheap rusty ones or do I just use the 2 hander until they come along via a quest, player trade or mob drop etc.

• 94 posts
    June 28, 2021 6:34 AM PDT

I like the idea that "ideal" isn't immediately available due to the scarcity of gear at level 1. It should feel more like dumpster diving than selectively shopping when you just start out, so definitely whatever you can get your hands on.

• 76 posts
    June 28, 2021 7:47 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - After creating a new character, do you use whatever weapons/spells you can get your hands on or do you hunt for your ideal weapon/spell setup from level 1? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Generally, I scramble to get the gear I think I want to level because I feel like skill ups on weapons I don't want to use are a waste of time. But age and experience have made me realize that effeciency in the beginning of a game doesn't have much long term impact on character strength.

• 3852 posts
    June 28, 2021 8:11 AM PDT

As an altoholic I have more than a little experience with new characters. I like them. Toonlings are so ...cute.

I will take whatever gear I can get that is most effective. Obviously if I know the game quite well I am likely to be able to pick and choose better than with my first character in a new game.

I may prefer daggers for a rogue/burglar class for example. But, barring racial or class bonuses, if I see a dagger showing 5.0 DPS for my toonlet burglar and a club showing 7.0 DPS she will use the club. Other things being equal. Or if I have in mind a large two-handed axe for my warrior, but the only one I can find is inferior to the pair of swords I can dual-wield, she will dual-wield until a good two handed weapon shows up.

I hate to die. Ever. Even if the game has no penalties. I may accept the necessity especially when in a group but I don't *like* the experience. Enough so that I will always go for better gear over aesthetics.

• 256 posts
    June 28, 2021 10:18 AM PDT

I do typically try to have the ideal ability set up based on the role I intend to play. I usually play as a healer and when it comes to obtaining or leveling spells and abilities, I usually prioritize heals>buffs>debuffs/CC> damage. If I don't have the financial resources to acquire all of my spells, I will typically wait on getting the DPS abilities. 

When it comes to a preferred weapon type, I don't typically have one. The only time this changes is when I am playing a class that has weapon-specific traits and abilities. Otherwise, as long as the item is usable, an upgrade, and has my stat priority, then I'll roll on it. 

At level one, I think the most important thing to focus on is making sure you have access to the abilities that will serve you the most.

This post was edited by FatedEmperor at June 28, 2021 10:20 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    June 28, 2021 11:40 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Becuase the starter items you're given are always complete garbage and given that I know there is alwasy better stuff out there, of course I immediatelty start working towards better weapons, gear, spells, abilities, food, drink..all of it.

• 454 posts
    June 28, 2021 12:11 PM PDT

As I usually play a healer, the weapon I get seldom is useful.  That's why I'd like to see some weapons with +mana in game early.  Spells will be the most important thing. I'll beg, borrow or save for them.

• 1281 posts
    June 28, 2021 3:24 PM PDT

I assume everyone is starting out with equal ability in all weapon skills, why not just let people choose their 'starting kit'. Just have a left/right arrow under the character that let's them change their beginning load out. It doesn't have to offer every single combination, but let players choose between starting with a sword, axe, dagger, 2 handed sword, etc.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 28, 2021 3:26 PM PDT
    • 10 posts
    June 28, 2021 4:50 PM PDT

You use whatver gives you better character power at the time, to kill mobs quicker and level up more efficiently. You may prefer to use a sword over an axe, but if you loot an axe with a 50% weapon damage increase, and better stats; you would want to use that axe because it would make your character significantly stronger.

Leveling up gives you those moments where you are pushed to use items and spells that may not be desired. You work your way up toward the ideal builds. It's fitting to feel incomplete or restricted when you're starting out, gives you the modivation to explore and discover.

• 247 posts
    June 28, 2021 5:11 PM PDT
    So for me what I feel is you start the world maybe in a small town and you go talk to The Guild master Of your class which should be pretty close to where you are so you can get lost. And what you should get is a tunic or robe A backpack and a choice of any weapon usable by that class but the DPS and stats should be equal in all of them. And I mean this should be definitely a beginner's weapon maybe 2 or 3 DPS. offer them on the wall like in the keep We just seen But make them no trade no sell. And the bags lore So you can only get one. And maybe the castors get a 2 DPS weapon and the meles get a 3 DPS weapons To choose from. Or maybe 3.5. The other question comes in to those who can use dual wield do they get dual wield at level one or is something they get like level 5 or higher.
    • 326 posts
    June 28, 2021 7:34 PM PDT

I am 'playing' the game from the get go. If crafting my own gear is the best, I will do that. If the vendors have even a slightly better upgrade I will farm up some gold and buy that gear. If certain areas/mobs have better goodies, well, you get the idea.

So, the hunt starts now!

This post was edited by Thunderleg at June 28, 2021 7:34 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    June 29, 2021 1:24 AM PDT

I don't find gear too important until I start getting 'high' level and pieces become more significant.  Of course it's great to get good gear drops, but they aren't the focus for me.

Well-known pieces can be a fun self-made 'quest' later, though.

I'm hoping gear is meaningful in Pantheon, but not pivotal to progressing.  You should be able to overcome below-average gear with above-average skill.  Gear should be a big part of the fun but not the only part.

• 1281 posts
    June 29, 2021 8:07 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I will play with what I can find until I get the ideal style weapons.  That said, as a Rogue, I typically use a piercing in my main-hand and a slasher off-hand.

• 1019 posts
    June 29, 2021 12:04 PM PDT

I typically just head straight out and start slaughtering as many rats as I can.

• 392 posts
    June 29, 2021 12:53 PM PDT

My main will usually use whatever I can find to get going, I do have a habit though of making an alt with an image in mind, getting to that point and then I'll stop playing them.

• 690 posts
    June 30, 2021 11:20 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

I hunt for the ideals to a point that it is innefficient. I'm well aware on EQ for example I could level up to 60 with a desirable class and make a ton of money very fast. Still, I like to start reselling cheap things for more very early on to get my dream, pre-raid gear. It definately takes far longer to get rich than a smart farmer or raider. That being said, I do enjoy having some really powerful no drop gear I can shoot for at the very end of my career. I just wanna level up in style.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at July 1, 2021 10:42 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    July 1, 2021 8:41 AM PDT

I think quest items are the best items.

I will consider dropped items temporary over the anticipated quest item.

• 2752 posts
    July 1, 2021 10:33 AM PDT

I try to find a decaying skeleton with a staff. I'll typically use whatever weapons/spells I can get my hands on, if it requires a hunt or not. 

• 888 posts
    July 1, 2021 12:57 PM PDT
    I don't bother with seeking out any gear for the first few levels because they go by too quickly and the difference is minimal. I'll live off loot until leveling starts to slow down or until I actually really need something.
    • 3016 posts
    July 1, 2021 2:52 PM PDT

I make do with what I have for the moment..but as a wizard I am not happy with the generic sword,  so I spend time saving my copper and silver for a staff. :)  Meantime up to level 5 I don't tend to group...splitting coppers with other group members slows my progress toward a decent weapon. :P

Cana

• 1785 posts
    July 1, 2021 4:45 PM PDT

I just get my starter gathering tools and then after a little time investment, I'm well-equipped for whatever I'm doing :)