Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Player Portraits in UI. Yea or Nay?

• 2756 posts
    June 22, 2021 3:31 AM PDT

For the party, no.  Clutter.

For your target, yes.  Immersion.

No one bothers to go first person, zoom in and take note of what the person/thing you are talking to or attacking looks like, but your avatar sure would have a good idea.

I think a target portrait is great for an immersive analog of your avatar's attention.

• 274 posts
    June 22, 2021 4:42 AM PDT

Class icons being the primary focus of the character plate makes them so cold and impersonal, and reinforces the idea that it is the class that matters more than the player.

Of course, I don't say that to mean that I think character class shouldn't matter. I still firmly beleive that class choice should matter, and that group makeup should matter, and knowing someone's class is still important information that needs to be displayed.

But, at least going by the mock-up that was posted, I would prefer character portraits with a class icon next to the player name, or a color coded bar around their name signifying their class.

• 2419 posts
    June 22, 2021 7:09 AM PDT

Another place where toggles and the ability for players to customize the UI to their liking would solve this issue.  Let people who want to see their character's face on their player have that and those who don't give a crud about it can do away with it.  Not that difficult of a decision, really.

• 28 posts
    June 26, 2021 1:18 AM PDT

Nay, unnecessary.

• 57 posts
    June 29, 2021 9:27 AM PDT
    UI is so personal that toggles for customization is probably the way to go. Like many have said, class icon or portrait are unnecessary. Getting to know your group is part of the immersion. After that their name is more than enough.
    • 1020 posts
    June 29, 2021 11:59 AM PDT

Nay.

• 417 posts
    June 29, 2021 2:23 PM PDT

This is something I have no strong feelings about either way. A toggle and letting each person decide would be a great.

• 2756 posts
    June 30, 2021 12:57 AM PDT

Thorndeep said:

This is something I have no strong feelings about either way. A toggle and letting each person decide would be a great.

Yeah this is one of those things where a toggle is fine. It's a personal immersion vs. UI clutter choice and has almost no effect on the 'shared experience'.

I guess you could get occasions where one player might say "I'll meet you at the guard with the moustache" and, if another player had portraits off, they might have no idea what you are talking about, but it would be pretty rare I guess.

• 810 posts
    June 30, 2021 7:04 AM PDT

Should it be supported for UI's?  I think so. It is minor and some people would love it. 

Do I want to see it on the default?  No.  There are plenty of UI options I don't want to see that people love.  I prefer the complete minimalist ideas for the UI.  I need just enough UI to control my PC properly.

I don't think we really need to talk about UIs until Beta though. 

• 520 posts
    July 30, 2021 2:54 PM PDT

I prefer simple class sign, but i see no reason not to make it toggleable  - not much work needed and everyone's happy .

• 112 posts
    August 3, 2021 3:50 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

This topic has been promoted for my CM content, please continue the discussion and have fun! :)

"Community Debate - Player Portraits in the UI, Yay or nay and why? Join in on the community discussion here: https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/13063/player-portraits-in-ui-yea-or-nay#MMORPG#CommunityMatters"

Yay definitely it makes more immersive.