Forums » Fan Creations

Painting my characters

• 231 posts
    June 17, 2021 1:47 PM PDT

I'm writing my ninth (I think) Pantheon story, and all along I've been wanting to try drawing my characters. But I didn't really have a lot of confidence in where my ability is.

So this year I decided I want to work really hard and try to get better. Drawing my characters seems like a good way to do that because I have a kind of image in my head for each of them, so I'm trying to bring that out. I do feel like it's been good for me, but I still have a long way to go.

Anyway, here's Crowsinger (halfling druid), who was in five stories. I think this image would be before she heads out on her journey.

This post was edited by Crowsinger at July 1, 2021 4:49 AM PDT
    • 231 posts
    June 17, 2021 1:48 PM PDT

Aovyn (elf shaman) and his wolf, with Yonai (elf ranger), from the new story, which takes place during the Deicide War.

Edit: I think I've finished this one now. As finished as it's going to get :)

This post was edited by Crowsinger at July 3, 2021 2:30 PM PDT
    • 231 posts
    June 17, 2021 1:51 PM PDT

Kymeret (elf summoner) and Slumber (elf ranger) from the same story

• 231 posts
    June 17, 2021 1:52 PM PDT

I had a painting here of Crowdancer, Arebon, Sairi and Isonis that I did several months ago, and I was very unhappy with it. I'm doing new art of each of them and posting them farther down the thread.

This post was edited by Crowsinger at June 25, 2021 6:52 AM PDT
    • 231 posts
    June 17, 2021 1:54 PM PDT

Sharai (human necromancer) and Ermine/Brindel (human Dire Lord by the end) from "A Crow of Murders"

• 231 posts
    June 17, 2021 1:56 PM PDT

Lindis (dwarf cleric) and Thryn (elf summoner) from "Coldark Kestrel"

• 231 posts
    June 17, 2021 1:56 PM PDT

Finishing up (for now) with Kavan's harp and crow friend by the end of "Song of Seret"

• 1992 posts
    June 17, 2021 6:42 PM PDT

Crowsinger said: all along I've been wanting to try drawing my characters. But I didn't really have a lot of confidence in where my ability is.

You have a lot of ability. Those are really good. And the backgrounds in the 1st and 3rd are terrific! That 3rd one was already a really nice painting just as a landscape, before you put any of the characters in it.

If this is what you can do BEFORE you work really hard to get better, then you certainly made the right choice. Keep it up.

• 94 posts
    June 17, 2021 6:58 PM PDT

Oh I agree that 3rd one is probably my favorite! That background is beautiful and Kymeret with the fire really makes it stand out. All around great work!

• 560 posts
    June 17, 2021 11:47 PM PDT

Thanks for sharing I enjoed them.

• 231 posts
    June 18, 2021 3:06 AM PDT

Thanks guys. The one with Kymeret is the latest, and it's my favorite too. But the fire arcamental took several tries before I was happy with it. Fire is hard... living fire can look goofy if you do it wrong :)

• 231 posts
    June 18, 2021 2:04 PM PDT

Isek Riverdusk, scholar and member of the Council of Nine Branches during the Deicide War ("In the Sway of Storms")

This post was edited by Crowsinger at June 23, 2021 11:19 AM PDT
    • 231 posts
    June 22, 2021 7:31 AM PDT

I never was happy with the picture of four people from "In the Sway of Storms", and I've been wanting to try those characters again. I feel like I've learned some things since then.

So here are Crowdancer (elf bard) and Isonis (elf ranger)

This post was edited by Crowsinger at June 22, 2021 7:31 AM PDT
    • 1992 posts
    June 22, 2021 2:26 PM PDT

Isek Riverdusk looks like an instructor I would NOT want to have angry with me :)

Crowdancer and Isonis look more natural and less 'posed' to me in the more recent painting.

Good job.

• 337 posts
    June 23, 2021 6:58 AM PDT

Isek doesn't look old enough!  I was expecting something totally different.  Now I have to re-read the stories with this face...

• 231 posts
    June 23, 2021 7:20 AM PDT

Benonai said:

Isek doesn't look old enough!  I was expecting something totally different.  Now I have to re-read the stories with this face...

You're right, he doesn't look old enough. I imagine he's in his late forties or early fifties in human terms (not sure how long elves live). But this painting was my first attempt to do the entire face, all features, and shading in one layer, so so I was just kind of happy it kind of looked like he does in my head :)

I will probably work on this one some more, maybe add a bit of gray to his hair.

This post was edited by Crowsinger at June 23, 2021 7:21 AM PDT
    • 231 posts
    June 23, 2021 11:19 AM PDT

Benonai said:

Okay I've added some gray to his hair. That should do for now :)

• 231 posts
    June 25, 2021 6:50 AM PDT

Arebon (elf ranger)

This post was edited by Crowsinger at June 29, 2021 5:13 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    June 25, 2021 2:50 PM PDT

These are natives.

I want to look away from them lest they become sullied by the tiniest gestures of my cultural habits as a result of their natural mimicry. I am ashamed even of my appearance and manner of dress among them. At first I thought it was raining, and disregarded the call of the lonely thrush to another over the crackling of a foraging squirrel until it got eerily quiet when I took one more step. I trembled briefly in shock when instantly I was in the midst of a crowd of them where there was only empty forest before. I remember hear tell they had no illusion or camoflage magic.

Looking up I saw him on a limb. That- that strange boy looked like the one I gave a similar amulet to in passing. It was my first attempt at a small enchantment, nothing really. And the wind whispered, Crowsinger.

• 231 posts
    June 29, 2021 4:57 AM PDT

Carathost (human cleric), priest of Ossari during the Deicide War

https://imgur.com/2YyKw4y.jpg

This post was edited by Crowsinger at June 29, 2021 5:10 PM PDT
    • 1992 posts
    June 29, 2021 10:20 PM PDT

I'd swear I've his face in real life 2-3 times.

• 231 posts
    June 30, 2021 3:33 AM PDT

Jothany said:

I'd swear I've his face in real life 2-3 times.

Was he evil? Probably evil.

• 1992 posts
    June 30, 2021 9:17 AM PDT

He was one of the 'good guys', but a flawed and shady one that we started to wonder about.

• 231 posts
    July 3, 2021 3:37 PM PDT

Sairi (elf ranger), from "In the Sway of Storms"

https://imgur.com/4hH6jVM.jpg

This post was edited by Crowsinger at July 3, 2021 3:38 PM PDT
    • 231 posts
    July 3, 2021 4:51 PM PDT

This is a scene from a later chapter of "In the Sway of Storms". I haven't written this scene yet, but it's in my head.

https://imgur.com/uFvKgz0.jpg