Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Transmog and Healthy Game Incentives

• 26 posts
    June 15, 2021 5:51 AM PDT

Hey gang!

After seeing the debacle that has been Amazon's upcoming cash shop and having numerous discussions across the web, some very obvious things came to mind. The following discsussion items are in regards to cash shops/microtransactions.

Transmog: Introducing paid transmog items is an incentive for developers to invest in making the shop items better looking than normal world items, which also makes trying to find an item in-game less worthwhile. It's kind of the definition of a double-edged sword.

"Quality of life" and "time-saving"/"convenince" items: These items being purchasable means either there is a core aspect of the game the should be made better or parts of the game are not designed well enough to be fun. An easy example of this would be level boosts: either the leveling content is not engaging or the exp gain is a barrier that needs adjusting.

I know this is a conversation we've had in the past, but I actually couldn't find a good recent post about this. Given the current drama around the aforementioned game,  what are our thoughts as a community on these aspects? How can we encourage VR that making content that is great and earning the sub fee is a better business model than microtransactions where they are incentivized to make a less than perfect game to sell the solutions to those problems.

• 26 posts
    June 15, 2021 5:58 AM PDT

Matauris said:

Hey gang!

After seeing the debacle that has been Amazon's upcoming cash shop and having numerous discussions across the web, some very obvious things came to mind. The following discsussion items are in regards to cash shops/microtransactions.

Transmog: Introducing paid transmog items is an incentive for developers to invest in making the shop items better looking than normal world items, which also makes trying to find an item in-game less worthwhile. It's kind of the definition of a double-edged sword.

"Quality of life" and "time-saving"/"convenince" items: These items being purchasable means either there is a core aspect of the game the should be made better or parts of the game are not designed well enough to be fun. An easy example of this would be level boosts: either the leveling content is not engaging or the exp gain is a barrier that needs adjusting.

I know this is a conversation we've had in the past, but I actually couldn't find a good recent post about this. Given the current drama around the aforementioned game,  what are our thoughts as a community on these aspects? How can we encourage VR that making content that is great and earning the sub fee is a better business model than microtransactions where they are incentivized to make a less than perfect game to sell the solutions to those problems.

Apologize fam, the search function on the forums is still pretty suboptimal. Moving this discussion to here: https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/12596/a-cash-shop-is-being-considered

This post was edited by Matauris at June 15, 2021 5:59 AM PDT