Forums » Pantheon Races

Apophos - Sentient Undead Race

• 888 posts
    June 9, 2021 12:00 PM PDT
    Apophos
    Undead Race

They originated from a world lost to an undead apocalypse where a corrupted magic caused everything to die. The sentient, humanoid race, in their desperation, managed to save themselves only through magically binding their soul essences to the reanimated corpses of those who had already fallen. On Terminus, the apocalyptic plague no longer spreads, but their soul essences can only be bound to reanimated bodies, so they can never regain biologic life nor ever have children.

The Apophos are sentient and not inherently evil. Most Clerics and Paladins do not outright opposite them because they are not soulless.

In game terms, they would be an amalgamation of one or more Terminus races. You choose which race your head, torso, and each limb comes from. It can use existing art assets (with new art layered on top, like how tattoos are handled). The composition of your character determines provides some of the racial benefit of the specific parts (ex. having two Dark Myr legs would boost swim speed).

They would have their own racial actives and passives (in addition to some minor benefits related to the race(s) they are made from.
    • Healing received is reduced but they have a slightly higher regeneration.
    • Certain Necromancer spells can heal them (as a secondary effect).
    • When they die, they can self-rez after a couple minutes (and come back with only a couple HP).
    • If they are entirely composed of parts from one race, they can pass as a member of that race.
    • Immune to all diseases from undead mobs.
    • More vulnerable to certain mez effects (since they are already a consciousness controlling a body).

One interesting possibility would be to allow the swapping out (at great effort and expense) of body parts (except for the head).
    • 888 posts
    June 9, 2021 12:06 PM PDT
    My above post is a suggestion for a new playable race, just in case that wasn't obvious.
    • 342 posts
    June 11, 2021 9:06 AM PDT

An undead playable race.  That's interesting. The Frankenstein's monster version of Gnomes.

• 2138 posts
    November 2, 2021 1:48 PM PDT

I cant imagine a new race, but for balance I can see existing races made playable but with conditions, like an evolutionary(progenary?) choice made by dinosaurs when presented with the option by a Deity.

Conscious dinosaur deific choice. Deity: "I'm going to change things around, this form? *waves open palm in  small slow circles at dinosaur-kind* is no good and will have to change. The thing I started is evolving nicely, except you guys.  What do you want?" Conscious dinosaur: We want to fly! deity: *jaw drops* ...fine... but this will be a drastic change, you'll be a heck of a lot smaller- I mean wayyy smaller and lighter, obviously, same brain size heh,but brain maybe a bit larger proportionally by comparison so there's that, and you wont be the top of the food chain anymore you will be easy to kill if caught but...you can fly. I'll adjust vision as well for the height differential. Conscious dinosaur: "we'll take it!"  *to themselves- we can fly!*

• 68 posts
    November 11, 2021 5:50 AM PST
    WOW. That concept seems somehow familiar...

All trolling puns aside, that would make a potential expansion race. They've said many times Terminus is WAY older than the arrival of the current playable races. As a Cthulhu Mythos fan, the concept of long lost and forgotten civilizations pings with me
    • 2036 posts
    November 11, 2021 1:53 PM PST

dudimous said: As a Cthulhu Mythos fan, the concept of long lost and forgotten civilizations pings with me

It didn't occur to me when I first read the OP, but once you mentioned it I went back and yes indeed, I got Cthulhu feelin' from the description. Good catch. (it has been decades since I read any Lovecraft)