Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Alchemical Flask "Spells"

• 24 posts
    June 3, 2021 10:44 AM PDT

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere as i've been looking through the forums and can't seem to find an answer.

As we know, Alchemy (nor any crafting skills) will not be locked behind any specific class like it is in EQ which is an obvious boon to everyone right off the bat. From what i've been able to gather, Alchemy will be similar to how it works in EQ but obviously expanded. Health/Mana potions, buffing potions, potions which cause serious or harmless effects, etc. But a thing I've been curious about is the use of Alchemical creations as offensive or Support abilities. While the immediate image of an Alchemist that comes to mind is a funny little man with vials of various colored liquids to drink, there's also the art of transmutation and the myths of things such as Greek Fire.  In games like DnD even an apprentice alchemist can create Acid Flasks, Alchemists Fire, flash bombs and flasks of toxic vapours and practiced ones can create bombs of various elements. Has it been discussed if Alchemists will be able to create (obviously weaker than the real thing) spell-like flasks which can be used/thrown in combat?

This post was edited by Praecant at June 3, 2021 10:45 AM PDT
    • 1992 posts
    June 3, 2021 2:23 PM PDT

I can't remember where they told us, but the most recent plans we've heard are that Alchemists (and I believe Provisioners too) will be able to make some amount of products out in the wild, for use in real time while adventuring. The most powerful creations will still need a crafting station though.

Also, a broad division that is planned is that Food & Drink (Provisioners) will offer benefits that you use BEFORE combat - like buffs or resistances, while Potions & Elixers (Alchemists) will offer affects that you use DURING combat.

As you may know aleady, Rogue - and Ranger to a lesser degree - will have their own class-specific bits of alchemy that include some of the things you mentioned. There's more detail about those on the Official Wiki than on this site.

https://pantheonriseofthefallen.fandom.com/wiki/Pantheon:_Rise_of_the_Fallen_Wiki

This post was edited by Jothany at June 3, 2021 2:30 PM PDT
    • 24 posts
    June 3, 2021 5:37 PM PDT

Thanks. Parsing the wiki, there's a hint though nothing really concrete outside of "Alchemists will be able to specialize in Toxins/Poisons or Elixirs"

• 612 posts
    June 4, 2021 6:53 AM PDT

As Jothany mentioned... Nephele told us that Alchemy items will lean more towards items you use reactively within combat while Provisioning will lean more towards items you use pre-emptively before you engage in combat.

There hasn't been any specifics of what these created items will actually be, but in the latest Developer Newsletter video (June 3rd 2021) Joppa did mention that there will be items that can be used to cure or purge crowd control effects either on others and maybe even on yourself. It's not a stretch to guess that this might be the kind of items Alchemists might create. It also might not be a stretch to guess that Alchemists might be able to create items that cause crowd control effects rather than cure them. Blinding Powder or Flash of Light / Stun Granade or Paralyzing Aromas, etc... It would also not be a surprise for Alchemists to create incendiary items similar to a Molotov Cocktail.

Just guesses at this time though. Depends on how the Dev's want to balance those kinds of things.

• 1992 posts
    June 4, 2021 10:55 AM PDT

Praecant said: Thanks. Parsing the wiki, there's a hint though nothing really concrete outside of "Alchemists will be able to specialize in Toxins/Poisons or Elixirs"

Sorry, I could have been clearer. The Wiki, as you noted, is quite sparse with general Crafting info at present. The only reason I linked it - other than to make sure you knew about it - is because it has more info about all the various Classes' abilities than this site has. Including the Rogue's alchemy abilities and the Ranger's 'Forage' ability. That info is on the individual Class's ability pages though, not in the Crafting sections.

• 97 posts
    June 15, 2021 7:05 PM PDT

Praecant said:

As we know, Alchemy (nor any crafting skills) will not be locked behind any specific class like it is in EQ which is an obvious boon to everyone right off the bat. From what i've been able to gather, Alchemy will be similar to how it works in EQ but obviously expanded. Health/Mana potions, buffing potions, potions which cause serious or harmless effects, etc. But a thing I've been curious about is the use of Alchemical creations as offensive or Support abilities. While the immediate image of an Alchemist that comes to mind is a funny little man with vials of various colored liquids to drink, there's also the art of transmutation and the myths of things such as Greek Fire.  In games like DnD even an apprentice alchemist can create Acid Flasks, Alchemists Fire, flash bombs and flasks of toxic vapours and practiced ones can create bombs of various elements. Has it been discussed if Alchemists will be able to create (obviously weaker than the real thing) spell-like flasks which can be used/thrown in combat?

I'd like to offer up an idea up that could accomodate this.
    Perhaps instead of them acting as "Alchemical Flask 'Spells'" they would act as a sort of AOE grenade. Back in SWTOR I would often use seismic-grenades to stop a group of enemies in their tracks, since they acted as a very short stun w/ a large cooldown. They were sub-par compared to a spell, but still useful nonetheless.  Here is some footage of what I'm referring to. https://youtu.be/q4ZBy2prI3A?t=18

• 1992 posts
    June 15, 2021 7:47 PM PDT

@Jiub I think from what has been revealed so far, that your suggestion is very possibly in the works.

"Bring out.... The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! "

:)

• 24 posts
    June 15, 2021 8:18 PM PDT

Jiub said:

Praecant said:

I'd like to offer up an idea up that could accomodate this.
    Perhaps instead of them acting as "Alchemical Flask 'Spells'" they would act as a sort of AOE grenade. Back in SWTOR I would often use seismic-grenades to stop a group of enemies in their tracks, since they acted as a very short stun w/ a large cooldown. They were sub-par compared to a spell, but still useful nonetheless.  Here is some footage of what I'm referring to. https://youtu.be/q4ZBy2prI3A?t=18

Wasn't sure how lore friendly alchemy grenades was so tried to word it better.

Personally during my recent playthrough of Diablo 2 i've been really enjoying the thrown flasks. Stock up on a few dozen of them and chuck to your hearts content... until you get swarmed and stunlocked lol