Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Leader boards

• 2756 posts
    June 1, 2021 11:28 AM PDT

FatedEmperor said:

I think leaderboards have a place in ARPGS...

I've been playing Path of Exile lately.  I have played it several times over the years.  In some ways it's an excellent RPG.  In others it's an incredibly frustrating mess.

I believe, over the years, the developers have catered to the top minmaxing leaderboard players such that they have skewed the base game and neglected the casual player almost entirely.

It seems the players they are interested in and listen to are the ones that can slam through the whole campaign in 6 hours in order to make a new max level character specced out in a different way to try out a possible new meta-build tweak in order to add a million to their DPS and take the top spot on some leaderboard somewhere.

They even call their regular expansions 'leagues' and you have to start new characters to take part.

Now I know POE has a good fan base who are happy with the way it plays, but does that mean *all* action RPGs should push hard toward the eSport-like extremes and ideals?

ARPG used to just be a slightly different way of playing an RPG.  RPG, but more 'actiony' lol.

I really hope ARPGs don't all become statistic and performance driven pseudo-eSports with a vague fantasy theme.  I'm really not interested in playing RPGs with the expectation of the 'adventure' part being repeated 1000 times until I've reached Nightmare League Tier 666 Ultimate Level leaderboards.

Then again, years ago I hoped MMORPGs didn't all become fantasy themed soloable 'park rides' and look where that got me.

• 413 posts
    June 1, 2021 3:36 PM PDT

Can you accurately track players being helpful to other players?

• 84 posts
    June 2, 2021 12:21 AM PDT

I only play MMORPGs that have servers with PvP. Now, having leaderboards of any kind in a game like Pantheon, I think, cheapens the experience of being immersed in a fantasy world. Makes it more gamy. However, having a player bounty board with the most hated players having the largest price on their heads is just awesome for the PvP community. This will drive a lot of interaction for sure and will make the PvP server(or servers) that much more exciting to experience. I really hope they implement something along these lines as opposed to Vanguard's pvp infamy point system that did nothing for the PvP interactivity...

This post was edited by Kaynrath at June 2, 2021 3:52 AM PDT
    • 888 posts
    June 2, 2021 1:04 PM PDT
    Leader boards are a terrible idea. They increase toxic behavior by making players compete over something that isn't even the point of the game. This encourages gaming addiction and unhealthy behavior for those who participate. And for those who don't, they also suffer because they can feel left behind and because those who are participating don't have time for the niceties of social interaction so they often break accepted social rules and norms.

A real-world example is the app Strava. It tracks your runs / bike rides / etc and let's you compare your times against everyone else. The problem is that some people are so caught-up in getting their best times, they will cut people off or ride dangerously to pass another person. So even if you don't participate, you are negatively impacted. This is basic human psychology.
    • 560 posts
    June 2, 2021 1:33 PM PDT

@Counterfleche

Love you real world example. When I think about it though humans can be very disappointing at times.

• 520 posts
    July 30, 2021 11:45 PM PDT

Strongly against them - esp on PvE servers!

• 1430 posts
    July 31, 2021 6:45 AM PDT

ingame leaderboards yes

external dum

moar interesting stats based on class or unique dodads

best avg cc time

best crafter for each lifeskill/profession

best efficient healer

best avg damage migitation done by tank

totals dum

leaderboards give players something to strive towards.  its been sold in a terrible manner.  look at all this salt :O  there's hardly any posivitittie here.

• 1303 posts
    August 1, 2021 5:25 AM PDT

I have zero interest in leader boards. They tend to have the effect of refocusing player attention from their time in the game to instead ramping up drama. Particularly when a subset of the gamers choose to win on the leader boards at any cost. Including abuse of content, mechanics and other players. 

• 413 posts
    August 1, 2021 6:38 AM PDT

If you are going to track stats and provide a measuring system, then how would you be able to quantify and track the intangibles? 

How do you measure Horizontal Leveling?

Does a tracking a bunch of combat stats devalue Horizontal leveling in this regard?

Will rare Preception System pings be tracked?

How do you track "helping other players" stat?

This post was edited by Zevlin at August 1, 2021 8:21 AM PDT
    • 112 posts
    August 1, 2021 8:54 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Leader boards - How do you feel about in-game or external leader boards for games like Pantheon that track kills, deaths, biggest server damage recorded, time without dying, hours played etc and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

For leader boards I really dont see the need for it. Having personal stats that i like that. I can improve see how well i am performing and such.

• 1430 posts
    August 2, 2021 7:49 AM PDT

Caine said:

If you are going to track stats and provide a measuring system, then how would you be able to quantify and track the intangibles? 

intangibles won't be tracked.  it wouldn't be intangible if it could :D

horizontal leveling is for the feel good, like cocaine.  do i really want to let people know how many lines i've been doing?

Does a tracking a bunch of combat stats devalue Horizontal leveling in this regard?

of course not!  they are two separate things.  fighting is fighting and hitting the powder is hitting the powder.

i wouldn't mind if it did or not.  most investigated pings?  sounds pretty snazzy.  maybe for horizontal stuff, i could get a fancy title instead of a stat track. "All Seeing Eye"

helping other players is optional.  its not like football where helping a teammate or opponent stand to their feet contributes to the core gameplay. 

• 413 posts
    August 2, 2021 8:33 AM PDT

stellarmind said:

Caine said:

intangibles won't be tracked.  it wouldn't be intangible if it could :D

horizontal leveling is for the feel good, like cocaine.  do i really want to let people know how many lines i've been doing?

of course not!  they are two separate things.  fighting is fighting and hitting the powder is hitting the powder.

i wouldn't mind if it did or not.  most investigated pings?  sounds pretty snazzy.  maybe for horizontal stuff, i could get a fancy title instead of a stat track. "All Seeing Eye"

helping other players is optional.  its not like football where helping a teammate or opponent stand to their feet contributes to the core gameplay. 

Ah..... the PVP is strong in this one.

I super hope that you can find rare PVP skills by horizontal leveling and finding the most rarest of pings, that lead to rare skills and abilities.   say it.... you would love that...say it.......lol