Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Skills and other things

• 33 posts
    April 30, 2021 9:57 AM PDT

Evening folks

Im just wondering about a few things, mainly will all skills and their levels matter? Asking as i remember my fishingdays in EQ1 where no matter of skillevel i just got the same 3 results. Nothing, the old boot or the standard fish.

How will it work in pantheon?

Will there be different results in different bodies of water?

Will the be any epic results compared to just a win? For instance say in one area the epic result could be the start of a questline and in another it might be the spawning of a raidmob! Perhaps epic catch would be a baby octopussy, then Mama octopussy comes looking for her spawn, perhaps the one that has the baby has automatic huge agro?

Anyway, would be rather fun to see an entire guild standing around fishing...

And in other skills say arrowmaking, epic success would perhaps give you an arrow that stuns, or cripples mob for X seconds. For the rogue epic success a really deadly poison and so on.

I would really like it if when skillevel is high to get special or epic results, very rare ofcourse, and no old boots when fishing is at max!!!

• 23 posts
    May 1, 2021 4:46 PM PDT
    I like the idea. but the issue arises, when you can craft an arrow that stuns, the hyper rich people will be using these rare items as a standard item. in time it will evolve to become the meta.
    • 3852 posts
    May 1, 2021 7:27 PM PDT

No old boots when fishing skill is maxed out?

We aren't even up to alpha yet but you already want the game to lose its sole.

• 1428 posts
    May 1, 2021 9:50 PM PDT

cant even boot up the game and thinking about fishing mechanics.

pog

• 33 posts
    May 2, 2021 12:30 AM PDT

Thanks for the replies

Azzul84

I doesnt have to be stun, can be a sure crit or just more damage, i just want a chance for a really rare success in all skills. And the super rich...well whatever game you make they will have an advantage. But the question to ask yourself is, do they really enjoy things like you and i do, that need to work for it?

dorotea

It could atleast be new boots....

stellarmind

Well Alpha will come, and ill be there with my hook, line and sinker

• 2138 posts
    May 2, 2021 9:43 AM PDT

Taking fishing as an example, lets assume every body of liquid matter can be fished; lava, ice(you know what I mean), mud, blood, including manifestations of those liquid bodies such as rivers, lakes, waterfalls(where the elusive flying fish are said to be found), etc. 

You approach those bodies of water and cast your line, if you get no perception ping, you can fish there. Otherwise, you get a perception ping that says "you do not have the skill to fish here".  Your ability to fish in those areas would become available as your skill increased. But you would not know unless you tried. So you would have to remember the fishing spots.

If you really wanted to be able to fuss about it, you could have gear requirements for different areas, like the difference beteween rod & reel bass fishing and Fly fishing. But that might get too complex for gear clutter, even if laid out as a check-box menu you had to check off, like you have the basic rod and bait but with high enough skill then you open the fishing tackle box menu and have to click off rod, click off reel reel and click on steel shaft and click on wire reel and click stone lure to be able to fish in lava.

The only thing I can think of for archery that is not special arrow based is range: Like Legolas being able to zap orcs at close range in the battle for Helms deep. Maybe with increased skill an archer will be able to use arrows at closer range, or William Tell like farther range or accuracy. 

I cant think of anything else that is skill related for other classes that doesnt come off as an ability or an added boost.

• 1281 posts
    May 7, 2021 7:15 PM PDT

Speaking of skills - where has the Codex been? In the most recent streams the ability window has just been a basic box. Has the Codex been scrapped or has it not been fully reimplimented post refactor?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 7, 2021 7:18 PM PDT