Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - What do you like best about a community

• 9115 posts
    April 22, 2021 4:08 AM PDT

Community Debate - What do you like best about a community like Pantheon, what keeps you around? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 793 posts
    April 22, 2021 5:18 AM PDT

If we are talking about the forums, the general attitude people have toward discussing ideas and opinions without an excessive amount of personal attacks or heated exchanges.

In Game? Haven't experienced it yet, so hard to say exactly. But what I like, or prefer, in MMO is a community that interacts with each other. Even simple things like drive by buffing, or a random stranger lending a hand when they see someone in trouble. Willingness to answer questions (and not say snarky things like "Ask Google"). Basically a community that acts as if we are all in it together, no matter level, experience, play-style.

• 220 posts
    April 22, 2021 5:53 AM PDT

The build up to a games release is a rich window of opportunity to go fishing for unused but well fleshed out ideas that I may never have come up with on my own that I can implement as a mod in another game.

• 470 posts
    April 22, 2021 6:02 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - What do you like best about a community like Pantheon, what keeps you around? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Having fun, and meeting good people and have a good time killing orcs and dragons. On the forums, discussing topics we might disagree on and having engaging discussions on how those may or may not be good for the virtual world being created. 

This post was edited by Kratuk at April 22, 2021 6:05 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    April 22, 2021 6:16 AM PDT

What keeps me around? Mostly the thought that much if not all of what we say is read by at least one person from VR and there is a small but non-zero chance that things any one of us says can influence how the game turns out.

• 1785 posts
    April 22, 2021 12:24 PM PDT

Something I greatly appreciate about this community (from both before I joined the team as well as in my role on the team today) is how the vast majority of people recognize their own potential bias and aren't afraid to be open about that.  Within this community we have explorers, raiders, crafters, roleplayers, soloers, groupers - really, the entire spectrum of potential Pantheon players are represented here.  And for the most part, everyone is willing to recognize that their point of view isn't the only one out there.

As a potential player, coming into a community where people were willing to discuss their differences without fighting over them was refreshing and gives me a lot of hope for the in-world communities that will form once we launch.

As a designer, a community that is so broadly representative of our playerbase is a huge help to me.  It's the reason that I post open-ended discussion questions, because being able to see the different takes you all have on those topics makes it easier for me (and the rest of the team) to validate that we're headed in the right direction.  It lets us explore different points of view and think outside of our own biased experiences.  And you all will ultimately get a better world to play in because of that - or at least, that's my belief.

So I hope that our community will keep on being strong, because you all (regardless of your pledge level) are a large part of why Pantheon will succeed.

• 392 posts
    April 22, 2021 2:20 PM PDT

I like that this community is still fresh enough that (most) users are level headed and have reasonable expectations.

We'll see how that holds up closer to release when the flood comes.

• 94 posts
    April 22, 2021 3:00 PM PDT

I like the mostly positive community with varied viewpoints. It seems like most of us share a pretty varied MMO history and experience, which allows good discussions with those different viewpoints. Right now it's definitel a shared comraderie of waiting. I look forward to Alpha when the community can more directly contribute to helping.

This post was edited by Edaemus at April 22, 2021 3:01 PM PDT
    • 839 posts
    April 22, 2021 5:55 PM PDT
    I'm hoping and hanging around to see if the community spirit that was so front and center in the greater eq community back in the day will still be alive in pantheon today. Highly empathetic, altruistic, considerate and built on an unwritten pay it forward social model. Will we see this emerge again in a game world where we succeed when selflessly working together to overcome challenge and fail when we are ostrasised for being consumed by greed and taking advantage of each other. I hope so :)
    • 2138 posts
    April 23, 2021 8:30 AM PDT

This community makes me post twice on subjects that I feel strongly about. I don't mean two seperate posts, I mean I'll react with passion and acerbic vitriol, re-read it and think it is good. Then I will remember responses from others in the community that have different backgrounds and are more knowledgable in certain things than I. Then I wlll go back to my post re-write it.

• 114 posts
    April 25, 2021 4:23 PM PDT

meeting people who obviously love to play video games / mmo's.  hanging out, adventuring(exploring), leveling up to see even more places, helping or receiving gear, getting rich, and building up my reputation and friendships.

• 1860 posts
    April 26, 2021 12:42 PM PDT

I've learned to appreciate the interactions about the potential a game like pantheon could have.

Whether the game ends up a reality or not, I find there is value in discussing what a game like Pantheon could be.  These type of games don't really exist anymore.

• 119 posts
    April 26, 2021 2:01 PM PDT

Feels like a more mature community - which given a good chunk have decades of gaming experiance tends to make things a bit more level headed (even when passionate)

Also I have been on a  few early tester groups, and to be honest there is typically a lot of camaraderie.

As for the eventual game community - I just hope its not full of idiots - things need to be either mechanicaly or GM controlled in a way to limit the impact of this inevitable deluge of drama

, without adversly impacting the core game or totally killing player options and interactions.

• 810 posts
    April 27, 2021 9:57 PM PDT
    This community is split on so many opinions, but we all have hope it works out in the end. A community without a shared hope is just a forum.
    • 1428 posts
    April 29, 2021 1:32 PM PDT

drama, fact slapping, shot talking,

the trolls, the uwus, the memes,

the respec, the disrespec, the legendary,

hostility to pvpers, silent rpers, master race pvers,

raiders hating on filthy casuals, casuals hating on filthy raiders, npcs laughing at filthy pcs,

raiders loving pvpers, pvpers loving casuals, casuals loving casuals,

str8 shooters

curve ballers

megalomoomoos

• 768 posts
    April 30, 2021 7:12 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

A community is there to come together. Not wonder off each their own path. 

A seasoned community is able to discuss things, come in the wrong but still continue the connection amongst each other in a constructive manner.

A community that can really hussle up and go well into the dirt of things an a design matter for example, knowing that they have no direct access to the game itself.

A community might have hot topics but they do not lead to an unmanageable firestorm.

When I experience this within a community, I tend to stick around and handle with trust and patience.