Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

PUGs - the necessary evil

• 287 posts
    May 13, 2021 7:50 AM PDT

if PUG's are evil, then call me Voldemort. 

• 690 posts
    May 13, 2021 5:27 PM PDT

I like Pugs, they let you meet new people. Also, pugs tend to change up the requirements for whatever you are doing. Like card games that give you a different hand every game,  you don't know what your team is good or bad at, and you have to adapt on the fly, which I think keeps it exciting because I'm a masochist like that.

The only time pugs are a problem for me is if the skill requirement or the gear requirement is too high for pugs to be realistic. At that point the game relies on me loving my guild enough to keep playing, because they might as well be the only people in the world.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at May 13, 2021 5:29 PM PDT
    • 369 posts
    May 14, 2021 11:35 AM PDT

Sweety said:

Pick Up Groups, we all hate them. But we all need them.

Speak for your self, I love pickup groups and meeting new people.

• 2752 posts
    May 14, 2021 11:57 AM PDT

arazons said:

Speak for your self, I love pickup groups and meeting new people.

Yeah, generally a fan myself. 

• 9115 posts
    May 20, 2021 3:45 AM PDT

This thread has been promoted as part of my CM content, please continue the discussion and have fun! ;)

"Community Debate - PUGs - The Necessary Evil, what are your thoughts on PUGs (Pick Up Groups) in MMORPGs? Have your say on our community member-created thread! https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/12934/pugs-the-necessary-evil #MMORPG #CommunityMatters"

• 1 posts
    May 20, 2021 4:08 AM PDT

PUGs are 1 of the best things :), ive meet quite a few friend in pugs and still play with them a lot of in eqTLP to this day.

• 76 posts
    May 20, 2021 9:27 AM PDT

Sweety said:

Pick Up Groups, we all hate them. But we all need them.

Unless you are in a guild running like a well-oiled machine, chances are you will need a PUG at some point. In todays modern MMO a PUG has come to mean you join a queue, wait to be auto matched and spend the next 30 minutes running a dungeon without so much as a "hello". As fast as humanly possible. I hate this with a passion. Yet, I do it because I have to.

I remember a time many years ago when joining a PUG was delightful. You talked, made new friends and worked as a team. There are many reasons things have changed for the worse, but I think we overlook one of the main reasons. Part of the problem is auto matching with group finders. Part of the problem is action packed, fast paced games. Part of the problem is the younger generation (for the most part) is less social. Part of the problem is due to the size of player base. When EQ1 was first live, there wasn’t nearly as many people playing MMO's obviously. Today that number is 1000x larger.

But I think the main problem is simply due to the ease and speed of completing a dungeon. If Pantheon is as challenging, and as long as we all hope it will be, it will force communication and team work. Even if we have a dungeon finder (which I am not advocating for). However, difficulty and length comes at a cost. I don't think anyone is afraid of a challenge. But I do think long dungeon runs scare off a lot of people. Some people don't have 3 hours to dedicate to a play session. My response to that is, too bad!

I truly hope that we will literally fail at completing a dungeon without some communication. I truly hope that it takes 3 hours to complete. PUGs should be able to succeed. I really miss that part of the MMO experience. However I hope this doesn’t come at the cost of losing a huge chunk of players. I know Pantheon is targeting a different audience then WoW. But what I want to know is, what are your expectations of a PUG? Will you join them? Or will you only group with guildmates?

I don't think pick up groups are at fault for your negative party experience. Like you hinted at, auto-formed groups and daily-centric dungeon runs lead to a detached experience where party members are a means to an end. This is a side effect of the instanced 30-minute digestable modular content that has become so popular.

There is nothing wrong with partying together with strangers and I fully expect it to be not just viable but enjoyable in Pantheon. I will definitely plan on LFG amongst the general populace. I hope the group finder is well-made and tailored to those of us who enjoy putting together competent groups from a random group of strangers. There really is such a big difference between a grouping system that randomly lumps players into a make shift party and group finders that give leader oriented players the tools to build custom made groups.

I expect the content to be hard but fair. But its worth mentioning that Pantheons design is set up differently from other games. The larger party size and overlapping role structure allows for a less steep climb to viability. Basically, a player might make mistakes as a beginner but its very clear which mistakes they made. As long as they pay attention, work together with their team, and try to learn and improve their role they will eventually succeed at their goals in Pantheon no matter how bad they might of been when they started playing.

-Gottbeard-

This post was edited by Gottbeard at May 20, 2021 9:31 AM PDT
    • 326 posts
    May 22, 2021 8:29 PM PDT

A general goal I have joining a PUG is for me to be the key to success. Cheerleader, point man, tactician, wet nurse, whip cracker, whatever it takes. I plan to make friends (and enemies if need be) wherever I go. 

so-

Second star to the right and then straight on till morning

• 200 posts
    May 23, 2021 6:10 AM PDT
    I loved pugs in EQ and early WoW. I think it’s mostly about mentality, I enjoy grouping up with people who are not in a rush, like to chat and have fun together. That was such a normal thing at the time. And then it would be fun to meet new people, make strange group compositions work and help each other in a friendly and supportive way.

Pugs as they often are these days simply often don’t fit this description, it has a lot to do with pacing of games, and the expectation everyone knows exactly what they are doing. That drive for efficiency and intolerance for things going differently than expected sucks the fun out of pugging for me.