Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Brightness vs. Darkness

• 1281 posts
    April 21, 2021 5:24 AM PDT

Shadowbound said:

I will be honest and say that, I've not read all of the comments in this thread, but from those I did read, I haven't seen anyone mention spell buffs to improve vision, or racial passives. For example, one of the benefits people enjoyed from the Dark Elf race in Everquest was their natual 'ultravision' racial passive bonus.

Spot on. The severity of darkness, I think, is overrated. There are plenty of options to include, like these.

• 20 posts
    April 21, 2021 10:11 AM PDT

I prefer the natural lighting to overly lit areas. This gives you a reason to use light sources and if done right they can add much atmosphere to the world. As long as you don't add things like Human & Erudite night blindness from everquest which were just unfun gameplay mechanics and unfair hinderances.

• 2752 posts
    April 21, 2021 11:14 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Shadowbound said:

I will be honest and say that, I've not read all of the comments in this thread, but from those I did read, I haven't seen anyone mention spell buffs to improve vision, or racial passives. For example, one of the benefits people enjoyed from the Dark Elf race in Everquest was their natual 'ultravision' racial passive bonus.

Spot on. The severity of darkness, I think, is overrated. There are plenty of options to include, like these.

I hope there aren't buffs that powerful, certainly not to the extent of ultra/infravision from EQ that completely negated any darkness at all ranges. I'd like to see darkness not be something that can be so easily negated by a certain level/buff. 

I'd hope there is high value in very rare items that might give off light and the spells like druid firefly (and whatever upgrades) that can give lighting to an area around the player/group, but nothing that casts light over great distances. If there are things like a "Darkvision" buff then I hope it only extends out maybe 30-40 feet (whatever the max spell/attack range is), and even then is only dim vision instead of total darkness.