Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Con system and known level

• 150 posts
    April 28, 2021 6:53 PM PDT

Thorndeep said:

There is a compelling reason why many of us feel strongly about the need for /con or some similar mechanic. Every good RPG has a strong story and any good story teller will tell you that what makes for a great story is the feelings it evokes in its audience. Of the many emotions EQ was able to create in its player base, there are two that few other games have been able to achieve and they are a sense of mystery and a feeling of fear. Along with being very hard to achieve, these two emotions are especially important because they heighten every other emotion, making them stronger and more meaningful. In essence they drive a great story and a meaningful RPG. While there is no single mechanic that EQ had that helped to achieve this, it was a blend of several that helped to create this sense of mystery and fear, the /con system is a major part. With mob levels listed right on the name plate the sense of mystery and fear are removed from the world. At a glance a player can tell what they will be facing, where the danger lies, and how easily to avoid it. It surprises me that VR is even considering having numbers on the nameplates since they have been pushing this idea of putting the E back into PVE. They have worked hard to come up with some fantastic systems like atmospheres and climates to make the environment more meaningful. And yet they seem to be overlooking the fact that a major part of the environment is the NPC’s that inhabit it. Why work so hard to have players engage with the environment and then remove a very meaningful way to make players engage with it via a /con system? This is one area I hope that VR will reexamine its reasoning and even if they don’t use the EQ /con system, that they will come up with some system that forces players to do something to determine a mobs relative strength in comparison to the player and not give a detailed number. It adds a very real level of strategy and engagement with the world that cannot be achieved any other way.

Ah yes, the frantic mouse-clicking/tab-targetting that came with the territory of Norrath. If luck was on your side, the KoS NPC(s) wouldn't aggro thanks to a favorable server tick and you would be able to back out of aggro range in time. Even with the NPCs that you knew all about, if you ruined your faction with them, went MIA from the game for a month or two and forgot about those transgressions, the assumption that all was well brought about some really hairy moments and embarrassing deaths. Keeping track of faction adjustments while on a raid was also important, especially for classes that couldn't easily avoid taking faction hits with feign death. Forget to con while crawling through Temple of Veeshan? RIP. Now everyone in your guild is laughing at you and asking for /consent. 

• 810 posts
    April 28, 2021 8:01 PM PDT
    It wasn't server tic but distance to npc. Run too fast and you skip the warning stare down of a hostile NPC range. As for your guild laughing at silly mistakes would happen on any system.

The thing I want from con checks though isn't a KOS warning, there could be a big red name tag for hostile for all I care. I hope a difficulty rating system tied to the world and not the exact meta data UI.

The lvl + group/solo + rare spawn etc is all a sterile system. I hope VR makes it a bit vague.
    • 150 posts
    April 28, 2021 11:45 PM PDT

Jobeson said: It wasn't server tic but distance to npc. Run too fast and you skip the warning stare down of a hostile NPC range. As for your guild laughing at silly mistakes would happen on any system. The thing I want from con checks though isn't a KOS warning, there could be a big red name tag for hostile for all I care. I hope a difficulty rating system tied to the world and not the exact meta data UI. The lvl + group/solo + rare spawn etc is all a sterile system. I hope VR makes it a bit vague.

Body Aggro

When a player (or NPC) is close to an NPC the target will make several checks on every server tick (6 seconds) to determine if it should aggro. This is called body aggro, in contrast to attacking or provoking the NPC in some way, which is called initial aggro. Because body aggro can be slow, and generally requires a short distance, it is usually unintentional. Initial aggro also caps the offending action's hate to about 300 or so.

Jobeson said:As for your guild laughing at silly mistakes would happen on any system.

If there was a system that openly displayed an NPC as being KoS, that would prevent silly mistakes. On one hand, it would be a neat addition and add more RPG to the MMO (A mob that audibly scowls at players, unsheathing its weapons or showing its claws, ready to attack.), but on the other hand it would require less situational awareness on the part of each player.  

Jobeson said:I hope a difficulty rating system tied to the world and not the exact meta data UI. The lvl + group/solo + rare spawn etc is all a sterile system. I hope VR makes it a bit vague.

Agreed. And one class in particular comes to mind whenever this topic is brought up.

If an enchanter wants to charm an NPC, knowing the exact level of the target in question would allow them to shop around the zone until he/she found the best/least problematic NPC without any trial and error. While that is convenient, it removes some of the risk from that reward. Grouped in EQ, the more stubborn enchanters would insist on keeping an unruly pet that kept breaking free from charm, while other enchanters would relent and ask the group to kill it off, not wanting to risk a premature death. Killing that hasted pet would be a PITA but it meant less volatility during and between fights, so it was worth it. The enchanter would then settle for a lower level pet, never knowing its exact level, which potentially meant an even more significant decrease in DPS. The pet's damage output could be parsed of course, but that would be up to the players involved, whether they were more casual or min/max. The differences between those two types of groups weren't exactly subtle. Generally, casual PUGs were less likely to fall apart due to sharp elbows, but were more likely to call it quits after the first or second wipe. The min/max groups were the oppsite; wipes only made them more determined, but the clash of personalities and demand for loot would lead to infighting until everyone stopped talking and parted ways. If players of all walks, casual and min/max, have the immediate access to the same information than ideally other aspects of gameplay will set them apart to a greater extent.

Another aspect of the enchanter class that I've thought about in relation to this topic has to do with illusions. If there are enchanter NPCs that cast illusions on themselves to appear as other mob types, mobs that have significantly higher or lower level ranges, than how would a transparent con system not interfere with the purpose of these illusions? The higher level illusions would serve the NPCs by scaring away would-be attackers and the lower level illusions would draw potential victims closer, within range of their other spells. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to allow NPC enchanters to have free reign with displayed levels. Without that, NPC illusions would be purely superficial.

But in not knowing NPC levels, the average group of players could potentially walk right by an ordinary rat and think nothing of it, when it's actually a powerful enchanter in disguise or they could dive into a pond and attack a fish, only to realize suddenly that a god had taken on its form. Even mimics from Dark Souls are a good example of this unpleasant surprise, where the need for taking precautions is evident and memorable. Having to use abilities or spells to see through illusions would be, for lack of a better word, more immersive. The risk would lie in carelessness, with inexperienced players attacking an undesired target. Assuming that any attack against an illusioned target would cause the illusion to dissipate, players would have their ignorance revealed to them suddenly and have to improvise to avoid death. 

But aside from all of that, I think the main issue for some, including myself, has to do with knowledge and the power it gives to those who have done nothing to acquire it. Granted, clicking or tab-targetting an NPC and hitting "c" isn't much effort to acquire the knowledge, but it is a sacrifice of (milli)seconds which add up and can contribute to a wipe. If everyone in the group or at the raid knows, at a glance, which adds are the highest in level, than no one has to communicate that information, meaning there will be less reliance on one another. There is an obvious positive that comes with this though, as there's nothing more annoying than to have a train of mobs in camp and not be able to prioritize the greatest threat becaue you're too busy trying to con all of them. So it makes sense to have levels displayed then, but would any of it even be visible in those cases, given all of the clutter? Whenever on raids, I generally had to turn off player character names or minimize them to first names only because it was unreadable. 

• 810 posts
    April 29, 2021 6:58 AM PDT

Leevolen said:

But aside from all of that, I think the main issue for some, including myself, has to do with knowledge and the power it gives to those who have done nothing to acquire it. Granted, clicking or tab-targetting an NPC and hitting "c" isn't much effort to acquire the knowledge, but it is a sacrifice of (milli)seconds which add up and can contribute to a wipe. If everyone in the group or at the raid knows, at a glance, which adds are the highest in level, than no one has to communicate that information, meaning there will be less reliance on one another. There is an obvious positive that comes with this though, as there's nothing more annoying than to have a train of mobs in camp and not be able to prioritize the greatest threat becaue you're too busy trying to con all of them. So it makes sense to have levels displayed then, but would any of it even be visible in those cases, given all of the clutter? Whenever on raids, I generally had to turn off player character names or minimize them to first names only because it was unreadable. 

My hope is more that targetting something and hitting "c" would give different information based on what you know.  They are doing the whole keeper thing to track info and it could be epic for the game world even when you ignore lore and secrets type of things.  Simply tracking what your PC has encountered can be used to influence con checks.  The best part is using this method would inspire people to communicate more about the creatures, especially known named creatures.  Sure some would still just look everything up online, but that is their own killjoy method of play. 

Killing the creatures could give you their generic data for the con, more accurate over time as you kill more of them learning through observation these creatures are weak to fire or resistant to poison etc. Sort of the Monster Hunter method of learning about the creatures. However if you read a lore book or talk to the old hunter about the flamable creatures the flag is triggered in character before you ever fight one. 

Does the bandit leader John Smith show his name if you never viewed the bounty board to see his face?  Would his head drop for you if you didn't know he is specifically wanted? I would hope not unless you are beheading every bandit you kill.  If you further talked to the guard captain to formally take the quest did you ask about his list of crimes which helps show you how strong John Smith is giving you a more accurate con check, possibly even listing what he is known for.  Your con check now becomes a reminder about what you have seen and heard. 

John Smith not only gets his name but accurately gets bumped to the deadly text of "is far more skilled than you" or whatever VR uses.  You also get the line, "He is a master of poisons" letting you know what to plan for.

This post was edited by Jobeson at April 29, 2021 7:03 AM PDT
    • 247 posts
    April 29, 2021 7:26 AM PDT
    Well they keep talking about this perception system and perception to me completely fits within knowledge of information on mob so they could do a lot of network with this rather than just throwing a number up there. Really I don't think it should be that easy to dial in the level of the mob and I can even call con You should show maybe it could be one level above you or below you or the same as you and that should be about the best you can get but with perception they could make it so when you're starting to get this then maybe it's two or three levels on each side and you know it's really scary until you build up that skill. And I still remember a stream like I said before where Brad said that they're going to have a cons style system because it really builds since the gameplay and some really disappointed the Joppa turned in allowed there to be a numeric number on the name plate and I believe he said that's how it was going to be I'm just so disappointed in that
    • 2138 posts
    April 29, 2021 7:46 AM PDT

Jobeson said:

Leevolen said:

[...]

My hope is more that targetting something and hitting "c" would give different information based on what you know.  They are doing the whole keeper thing to track info and it could be epic for the game world even when you ignore lore and secrets type of things.  Simply tracking what your PC has encountered can be used to influence con checks.  The best part is using this method would inspire people to communicate more about the creatures, especially known named creatures.  Sure some would still just look everything up online, but that is their own killjoy method of play. 

Killing the creatures could give you their generic data for the con, more accurate over time as you kill more of them learning through observation these creatures are weak to fire or resistant to poison etc. Sort of the Monster Hunter method of learning about the creatures. However if you read a lore book or talk to the old hunter about the flamable creatures the flag is triggered in character before you ever fight one. 

Does the bandit leader John Smith show his name if you never viewed the bounty board to see his face?  Would his head drop for you if you didn't know he is specifically wanted? I would hope not unless you are beheading every bandit you kill.  If you further talked to the guard captain to formally take the quest did you ask about his list of crimes which helps show you how strong John Smith is giving you a more accurate con check, possibly even listing what he is known for.  Your con check now becomes a reminder about what you have seen and heard. 

John Smith not only gets his name but accurately gets bumped to the deadly text of "is far more skilled than you" or whatever VR uses.  You also get the line, "He is a master of poisons" letting you know what to plan for.

IIRC they gave an example of this regarding perception system in one of the streams, where the group was looking around in a house and one person got some information, like awareness of magical wards, another looked at a picture and got some general background of what whet on there like it was a winery or something and another looked at the same picture and got the name of the former inhabitants only, or was it a gravestone, I dont recall exactly. 

What I think you are saying is: is it possible to use the perception mechanic as indicated above, but not as complex or on a smaller scale towards targets. If so, I would like to see it modeled after the DnD 5th edition Monk ability - Extract aspects where on a strike, the class (doesnt have to be a monk, thats just what it is in DnD) the class finds out what the monster is weak to, and has high resists to. who can then commuicate that to the group.

Theory crafting on the living codex, maybe pearls can be used to boost  this up to 3x with each boost giving more information, like: step 2, disposition and step 3 weapon skill or spell arsenal?  Then to make it dynamic, have other classses have the extract aspects ability, so there is no single class reliance, but the pearl boosts give a chance at different information like high-med-low intelligence, for animals or racials: high-med-low instincts; wild/civilized/pack/social; class(<-3rd level pearl, hard to get, one player class only);your faction relative to theirs (STOP! there's a chance, I didn't know they had faction, although they hate me  by -200 I have +2 somehow  and charlie has +50?!) . I think class might be too powerfull, once you know the class you can extrapolate everything else they will do.

I wish I had more money, I guess ill take a chance at the lottery :)

• 416 posts
    April 30, 2021 10:40 AM PDT

Jobeson said:

Leevolen said:

I think it would be amazing if the perception system was tied into the /con system.

• 247 posts
    May 3, 2021 9:32 AM PDT
    Yes they can do so much with this it's why I'm hoping like hell the rethink the level on the hp bar really I don't like the hp bar lol I like the old target hp not above the mob but I know that's more a quality of life deal
    • 416 posts
    May 8, 2021 10:17 AM PDT

In the most recent DRT, Joppa explained why VR has chosen to keep mob levels revealed on the nameplate for mobs within 5 levels of the player. He said it was an accessibility issue and VR was afraid of alienating new players grown used to having such information available. I find this answer to be extremely troubling and a very slippery slope. Players have also grown used to quest markers over NPC’s heads, glittering trails that lead you to your destinations, even pushing a single button and having the game play for you. I would argue that all of the above mechanics, including numbers on the nameplates, run counter to the Pantheon tenets and to the game VR is ultimately hoping to create. Yes, players may be unfamiliar with the a /con system but a simple tutorial, which I believe VR already is planning on implementing in some way, could easily incorporate this information. It certainly is no more challenging or different than the perception system VR is working hard to implement. If VR truly feels that a basic tutorial is not enough, like other systems that add more depth and challenge to the game, /con could be eased into the game play. Possibly the first 5-10 level mobs show their level but after that the numbers go away.

There are two other arguments I’ve heard against the /con system that may tie into this:

1. The onus of having to push extra buttons to gather this information
    2. Having to take the time to /con slows down game play

In regards to the first argument against /con, this same argument could be used against anything one does in the game. The game is played by pushing buttons. Why would /con be more onerous than all that running around and changing directions one does while playing? Or attacking, casting spells, interacting with NPC’s? Crafting? Participating in perception system?

In regards to the second argument, yes having to /con can slow down game play. But isn’t this exactly what VR is hoping to achieve, a slightly slower paced, more tactical game? And choices should matter, a player could choose to move quickly without conning and take the extra risk that entails. Those that want to race to endgame hope to see /con gone so they can speed through content safely. To those players I say, you will still get there first even if you have to /con along the way.

/Con is such a simple system and yet offers so much in rich gameplay. It would be truly a shame if VR sticks with their current decision. Especially in light of the perception system which VR is pioneering in hopes of getting players to pay more attention to the world. /Con provides a very similar function. It would be amazing if /con could be tied into the perception system in some way, possibly a third branch of discovery. But even if /con and perception remain separate mechanics, please don’t remove the need for some sort of /con.

• 247 posts
    May 8, 2021 11:09 AM PDT
    Thorndeep I agree It didn't take very long at all in EQ for people to be aware of the cons system how it works You did it within probably the first 15 minutes of gameplay so the having it on there because people are used to it is just an excuse. We want a game that's challenging We have to have tactics having the number up of the head takes away from a lot of that I remember in EQ seeing two mobs by a door and trying to figure out which one we were having to pull and which one we were going to have to CC We had sitting condom and figure out which one was the lower level to be easier controlled. The leveling cater can definitely take away from stuff like this I do hope they reconsider this because it kind of takes away a lot from the game in my opinion obviously.
    • 145 posts
    May 10, 2021 1:41 PM PDT

i personally think the eq con system was fine as for acessibility that was once the norm wasnt it? people used it then they can resuse it now maybe add more flavor and depth as many have suggested thats  my two cents anyways

• 39 posts
    May 12, 2021 10:58 AM PDT

Thanks for bringing this up OP. I'm absolutely not a fan of seeing the exact level of a mob either.

This goes against the original idea of the game. Why would any adeventurer know the exact strength/level of his enemy?

• 646 posts
    May 12, 2021 11:04 AM PDT

Levels on mobs don't bother me at all.

Thorndeep said:

There is a compelling reason why many of us feel strongly about the need for /con or some similar mechanic.

To me, things like having to type in /con or whatever actually do the opposite of what you think. I'd rather my interpretation of the world come organically, instead of having to stop and type artificial codes and then read an output. That being able to tell "at a glance" is more immersive. And I don't think having numbers (which are functionally identical to color coding anyway) on nameplates removes strategy and engagement in any way. If you're going to complain about level numbers, you may as well complain about nameplates entirely, or health bars/percentages, or faction, or disposition, or whatever else.

Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents as a roleplayer with the opposite perspective. Never have levels on enemy nameplates ever negatively impacted my experience of a game world or its story.

• 2756 posts
    May 13, 2021 6:55 AM PDT

Naunet said:

Levels on mobs don't bother me at all.

Thorndeep said:

There is a compelling reason why many of us feel strongly about the need for /con or some similar mechanic.

To me, things like having to type in /con or whatever actually do the opposite of what you think. I'd rather my interpretation of the world come organically, instead of having to stop and type artificial codes and then read an output. That being able to tell "at a glance" is more immersive. And I don't think having numbers (which are functionally identical to color coding anyway) on nameplates removes strategy and engagement in any way. If you're going to complain about level numbers, you may as well complain about nameplates entirely, or health bars/percentages, or faction, or disposition, or whatever else.

Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents as a roleplayer with the opposite perspective. Never have levels on enemy nameplates ever negatively impacted my experience of a game world or its story.

Not really sure how you are ok with numbers if you'd rather your interpretation of the world came "organically"?  There isn't much less organic than actually knowing the under-the-hood coded level of the monster, is there?

Also not sure how being able to work out - or rather just somehow 'know' - the relative strength of a creature "at a glance" is more immersive than having to /consider them. To "consider" them is literally what you would/should do, were the situation 'real', so how can *that* not be the more immersive option?

It's the difference between rounding a corner at a run, seeing "an orc" just ahead, and knowing straight away you are safe or not, or, in the same situation, needing to be cautious, stop and take a moment to 'consider' the orc.  It may turn out, on 'consideration', the orc is more powerfully built and a foot taller than the ones you were killing easily yesterday.  Good thing you took a moment to 'consider' your approach, and didn't rely on a quick glance, because you now 'consider' you will need a friend or two to live through the encounter.

Everything in the game is an analog of the 'reality', clicked button, read number, or whatever.  /consider is a good analog for needing to take a moment in order to properly judge an encounter instead of just somehow knowing at a glance it's near-exact power, without really thinking what is safe and what isn't.

/con is more immersive for at least two reasons: -

1) To have to pause and take a moment to actively consider each monster is more realistic in result and pace than just 'knowing' several monsters at a glance.

2) To not have a number means the information gained from considering a monster can be more realistic and less 'gamified' and could be linked to perception or multiple other considerations.

Also maybe consider (there's that word again) that /con doesn't mean you *can't* judge at a glance. You *might* note, at a glance, that the orc is more muscled and taller than the ones you were killing earlier and pull up short.  That would *definitely* be more organic and realistic, but if VR do want to give players some way of determining relative power of monsters beyond experience and the limitations of the graphics, then I think it's clear what is the more immersive and organic approach.  Beyond that, the /con function adds gameplay depth, since you could shoose to go with your organic glance and attack or stop and use the consider.  It is a risk (less caution) vs reward (less time taken) choice.  Having a number (or a colour) there on the nameplate just takes away so much depth.

• 247 posts
    May 13, 2021 8:46 AM PDT
    Well me being a d&d player for first edition primarily old school you can say the the number on the nameplate definitely takes away because that's simple glance when you're in d&d or what we would hope you know this game would be you know challenging you have to take a moment and consider the mob so hitting the button or typing consider will be more of a ease of life and kind of take away from strategy. As many people said in Java said in the last stream it having the number kind of shrinks the world If you have to take a second to con and decide which one you're pulling on two mods on a wall because your enchanter is a lower level and may not be able to mez the higher level mob if you just see it on his head there's no strategy to that You pull the right one instead of taking a second to actually go okay pause What one are we doing there's communication in the group to say Hey I call on the left when you I'm taking I'm pulling the left when it's the higher level one you mez the right one. Same goes for going into a new environment if you know that everything's level then that's an issue My DM won't even tell us a level of a mob until the end of it after we kill it acting of the adventure if we ask that's because we dealt with that mob but even then other mobs of equal level we just don't know the level of until after we've dealt with that mob I guess you can say that's part of the perception system You know if you've killed a hundred orcs of fifth level then you know what a fifth level orc is possibly. But even then you can't have occasional work that's a higher level so you still don't know the perspective and have to take a second in most people have /con as a hot kid mapped item That's what it was EQ You just hit a c button It still took you a second to pause it's not like you could run by and go last 15 minutes to 12 That's a 15 You actually have to pause and go what is this That pause can be dangerous adding more to the game. And like sending their early streams they actually had the con system It sounds like it can be refined maybe more colors or maybe you can't just know it right off the bat until you've dealt with some of the creatures unless they're like extremely high level then it you know acknowledges that hey this is red but if it's not red to you maybe it's yellow or orange and maybe they don't tell you anything other than this looks like it's a difficult creature until you've actually interacted with it then you get to start getting into the known color you know the the cons system can be a really good added value to the game in a way that makes you build up that character's knowledge of the creature surrounding you.