Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Long duration craft task

• 724 posts
    April 2, 2021 7:19 AM PDT

Is there any plans/considerations around item crafting tasks that incorperate a long time to 'cook'.

I am thinking about applying magic upon an item specificlly.  If I get a good amount of ingredients with the possibility to infuse magic properties but an option is available to place the crafting state into a long 'cook' the results would be a normal role with the added possibility for an additional property infused onto the item.  

e.g. Iron bars:shard:leather +dagger recipe = (dagger with +1 bleed at 10% chance)  

OR

e.g. Iron bars:Shard:Leather +dagger recipe + 'long cook' of 2 in game weeks = (dagger with +1 bleed at 10% chance and X)    X being anything, from the item glowing and providing light or increasing the ability to forage or maybe a color, etc. 

• 1315 posts
    April 2, 2021 10:09 AM PDT

Technology willing, I think there is some interesting posibilities of combining crafting with questing.  In short making the item is really only the first step.  Once created you can start a quest that upgrades it to its final form.  I would have those quests be more about player action than just an in game timer but that is also why I favor a crafting mini game that takes 2-5 minutes rather than just a crafting timer that takes 2-5 minutes to burn down.

Currently though I do not believe there are any plans for slow cook items or quest upgrading crafting items, but who knows what they might come up with.

• 83 posts
    April 2, 2021 11:47 AM PDT

From what I could tell, it doesn't look like there's any plans in the works for adding randomness in the results of crafted goods. That just introduces mass production to get the rolls you need, which is actively against their stated goals of reducing item bloat and disincentivising mass production.