Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Limit crafting to certain areas instead of crafting anywhere?

• 196 posts
    March 30, 2021 1:57 PM PDT

Just a thought instead of just crafting anywhere you want you can only craft in certain public areas or at a private housing to craft things and not have players hovering around a market board or auction house?? 

• 2419 posts
    March 31, 2021 7:52 AM PDT

I know it's a lot to read through, but over the last 7 years of crafting discussion this point was brought up numerous times. The early PoV from VR on this was that some crafting will require static crafting stations (like forges) that exist in cities while some crafting can be done with a carryable crafting 'box' and yet other crafting will require you to use crafting stations out in dangerous parts of the world (like in the armory of a goblin fortress where your party has to keep the room cleared while you work.)

• 83 posts
    March 31, 2021 3:23 PM PDT

It was stated that Provisioners and Alchemists will have a limited ability to craft away from static crafting stations, possibly with a penalty in effectiveness. This, of course, implies that the other crafting professions will not be able to do this.

• 1785 posts
    March 31, 2021 4:21 PM PDT

Darchias said:

It was stated that Provisioners and Alchemists will have a limited ability to craft away from static crafting stations, possibly with a penalty in effectiveness. This, of course, implies that the other crafting professions will not be able to do this.

That's correct

Provisioners and Alchemists will be able to do some basic things in the field (because they are making consumable items).  They will be able to do more advanced things if they are in a location with the proper facilities, of course.

Blacksmiths, Woodworkers, Outfitters, and Jewelcrafters will need facilities appropriate to their trade.  Most towns and villages should have these facilities available.  In addition, any place that is or may once have been inhabited by "civilized" sentient creatures may have some of these facilities still intact as well, even if the current inhabitants may no longer fall into that category.

• 1992 posts
    March 31, 2021 6:49 PM PDT

Nephele said:

Darchias said: ...

That's correct

Provisioners and Alchemists will be able to do some basic things in the field (because they are making consumable items).  They will be able to do more advanced things if they are in a location with the proper facilities, of course.

Blacksmiths, Woodworkers, Outfitters, and Jewelcrafters will need facilities appropriate to their trade.  Most towns and villages should have these facilities available.  In addition, any place that is or may once have been inhabited by "civilized" sentient creatures may have some of these facilities still intact as well, even if the current inhabitants may no longer fall into that category.

Thanks for getting back on this. It's great that you keep finding time to do so.

Excuse me if I'm behind the times on this issue, I may have missed it. Last I heard, damage/decay to gear and the possibility of Crafters repairing it as part of their skills was still a grey area.

IF that situation comes to pass, might it be possible for those who can repair weapons/armor to possibly have some limited means of "field repair" that would at least hold a player over thru a long Adventuring session? Possibly at higher cost?

• 1785 posts
    March 31, 2021 8:58 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Thanks for getting back on this. It's great that you keep finding time to do so.

Excuse me if I'm behind the times on this issue, I may have missed it. Last I heard, damage/decay to gear and the possibility of Crafters repairing it as part of their skills was still a grey area.

IF that situation comes to pass, might it be possible for those who can repair weapons/armor to possibly have some limited means of "field repair" that would at least hold a player over thru a long Adventuring session? Possibly at higher cost?

Honestly, it's just not something we've settled on yet.  We probably won't finalize this aspect of things until we've got a lot of other things locked in and gathered some data on them.

• 1281 posts
    October 12, 2021 5:31 AM PDT

Nephele said:

Preface that my comment here regards design that relates to topics outside of crafting, but it is related.

Making all these services available everywhere is part of what I feel ruined EQ's population. When you create an environment/world where players can leave their home city and never return, because all of the benefits of home exist elsewhere, what does that lead for new players to see when they start the game?

If Pantheon is going 100% on starting cities, then I think it's imperative that you do not offer these services outside of the main city's because it will force players to return and keep the population vibrant.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 12, 2021 5:34 AM PDT
    • 1785 posts
    October 12, 2021 7:36 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Nephele said:

Preface that my comment here regards design that relates to topics outside of crafting, but it is related.

Making all these services available everywhere is part of what I feel ruined EQ's population. When you create an environment/world where players can leave their home city and never return, because all of the benefits of home exist elsewhere, what does that lead for new players to see when they start the game?

If Pantheon is going 100% on starting cities, then I think it's imperative that you do not offer these services outside of the main city's because it will force players to return and keep the population vibrant.

Making sure that cities stay relevant and feel populated is something that we are definitely sensitive to.  However, Terminus is also a very big world, so we don't necessarily want to force people to have to travel back to their city (or the nearest friendly city) too often.  This is an area where we will need to strike a balance that feels right for our game and our world.  We also very much want Pantheon to be a game where you get to choose how you play instead of being led along a path.  So from a crafting perspective, if you want to be that itinerant crafter that travels from town to town helping people, rather than tying yourself to the big city and its larger market, you should be able to do that - at least to an extent.  That doesn't mean it will always be easy, but it will be possible.

So, while I can't share details right now, please rest assured that this is something that we are taking into account as we build out all of the different aspects of Pantheon.  While you will be able to find crafting stations in towns and villages (and potentially other places) out in the world that enable you to craft, there will absolutely be things that draw you back to the starting cities from time to time as well.  This will be true for all the gameplay spheres, not just crafting.

• 2419 posts
    October 13, 2021 10:07 AM PDT

I want a portable forge so I can make full sets of armor while adventuring deep in a dungeon.  Oh, and a portable jewelycraft table so I can make very intricate and delicate jewelry while in a dungeon too. Both of those make total sense!

• 1921 posts
    October 14, 2021 9:40 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

I want a portable forge so I can make full sets of armor while adventuring deep in a dungeon.  Oh, and a portable jewelycraft table so I can make very intricate and delicate jewelry while in a dungeon too. Both of those make total sense!

IMO:

Sounds like perfect additions to the Visionary Realms Store, available for in-game purchase via krono, err Station Coins.. err.. Pantheon Baubles! ;)
    I think you have a career ahead of you in Marketing & Sales, Vandraad. :D

• 3852 posts
    October 16, 2021 3:28 AM PDT

"Pantheon Baubles!"

Insufficiently alliterative. Pantheon Pretties?

• 1921 posts
    October 16, 2021 8:52 AM PDT

IMO:

Pantheon Pearls/Peridots, Terminus Trinkets, Terminus Topaz/Turquoise/Tourmaline
    All that's left is to make them no drop, no trade, no destroy, only stack up to stacks of 5 and be required to open random loot boxes that litter the landscape like lice on a lethargic lapdog.

• 1992 posts
    October 16, 2021 11:00 AM PDT

vjek said: litter the landscape like lice on a lethargic lapdog.

OMG!

You're a poet and don't know it!

But your feet show it.

They're Loooong-fellows!

This post was edited by Jothany at October 16, 2021 11:01 AM PDT
    • 1992 posts
    October 16, 2021 11:05 AM PDT

Vandraad said: a portable jewelycraft table so I can make very intricate and delicate jewelry while in a dungeon too.

You pull out a table and start making shiny stuff and you'll bring every add in the dungeon down on us, especially in a Ratkin dungeon.

Those buggers will steal the buckles off your boots if they're shiny.