Forums » News and Announcements

Own a piece of Pantheon history!

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    March 29, 2021 1:11 PM PDT

Pantheon's NFT Fundraising Site is now live with unique collectibles (no in game items). Own a piece of Pantheon history. All proceeds go directly to development. https://opensea.io/collection/visionary-realms-pantheon-store

This post was edited by Roenick at March 29, 2021 1:24 PM PDT
    • 1999 posts
    March 29, 2021 1:36 PM PDT

That's a great idea, glad to see VR doing something like this. Beautiful images too.

Now on the other hand, these items you're selling are described as "original and unique assets and art". (maybe I'm missing something obvious) But it doesn't seem to say, are they physical art pieces, like printed photos or posters? Are they framed and mounted? Are they just digital files of those images? And what size is each image? More info please!

This post was edited by Jothany at March 29, 2021 1:36 PM PDT
    • 41 posts
    March 29, 2021 2:44 PM PDT
    • 1999 posts
    March 29, 2021 2:58 PM PDT

MalFelis said:

NFT explanation:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56371912

Thanks MalFelis. I got it now.

I still think the size/dimensions should be listed.

• 1860 posts
    March 29, 2021 5:49 PM PDT

I get wanting to support VR.  My questions below about NFT's  have nothing to do with that.  My wife tells me I'm old.

I have seen NFT's all over lately...and I have read the article linked above prior to it being posted here and I still don't get it. 

So you are paying for a token that says your digital copy is the original but anyone else can copy the exact same thing for free?  Seems like a scam. 

In the art world when a private party buys an expensive painting it's not uncommon that they get a high quality duplicate made that they can enjoy while keeping the original in a safe, climate controlled area, so it doesn't degrade by being exposed to the light and air etc.  Even when paintings are worth millions people still enjoy the duplicates on purpose. But an expert can tell the difference.

This is 100% identical in every way except for the token correct? You can copy it for free?  A fool and his money are easily parted. 

Someone explain what I'm missing about NFT's please?  It's a digital COA which means nothing when it can be copied.

This post was edited by philo at March 29, 2021 7:44 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    March 29, 2021 5:54 PM PDT

The perceived value is the token, yes, philo.  You're not missing anything.  Yes, it can be copied, utterly, completely, digitally, perfectly.

• 60 posts
    March 29, 2021 8:10 PM PDT

philo said:

So you are paying for a token that says your digital copy is the original but anyone else can copy the exact same thing for free?  Seems like a scam. 

The better analogy is it's a certificate of authencity and/or numbered edition of digital art. 

• 41 posts
    March 29, 2021 10:19 PM PDT

It's the new collectable. Anybody can have a poster of the Mona Lisa, but only one person could sell the Mona Lisa at an auction. What wll really blow your mind is what some NFT's are of.  Pokemon unboxings as an example.  Not the cards.  Just the guy unboxing the cards.  Cards auctioned seperately.

https://beincrypto.com/logan-paul-nft-pokemon-card-unboxing-highlights-sells-out/

• 1860 posts
    March 29, 2021 10:46 PM PDT

First said:

philo said:

The better analogy is it's a certificate of authencity and/or numbered edition of digital art. 

I said it's a digital COA in my post above.

• 2886 posts
    March 30, 2021 4:16 AM PDT

The way I’m thinking of it is... let’s say there was only one official Black Lotus in the world. And you could prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that you owned it, regardless of how many fakes people tried to make. Sure people can make very convincing fakes and you could technically even play a game of magic with a fake black lotus, but the real one retains value because it’s easily certifiable as “official.” On one hand, you are also kind of trusting to a degree that WotC isn't just going to print a million of them later. You could say that the Black Lotus is just a piece of paper with some ink on it and you’d be right. It has value only if everyone agrees that it has value. So while I think most NFTs are dumb (like selling tweets or something like that), the idea of selling official digital Pantheon trading cards doesn’t seem that far fetched. Like any art, if the artist goes on to become famous, their first works will likely increase in value - even if it is just “paint on a canvas” or in this case, “pixels on a screen.” In this case though, the timing is perhaps a bit bad since NFTs are still developing technology and like any developing technology, humans make themselves feel better about things they don’t understand by calling it a scam. And since Pantheon is also a developing technology, that’s probably not the horse you wanna hitch your wagon to lol. Can't really blame them for exploring alternate revenue streams, especially considering this costs them next to nothing. But I think doing this sort of thing later on would be more effective.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at March 30, 2021 4:19 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    March 30, 2021 7:15 AM PDT

Thank you MalFelis I had no idea what it meant either.

I agree entirely with philo except its more my mirror and the aches and pains that tell me I am old - spouse is too kind to add on.

• 1 posts
    March 30, 2021 7:32 AM PDT

Please roll this back and apologize.

This might be the most tone deaf funding attempt I've ever seen.

Be better than this.

• 6 posts
    March 30, 2021 8:00 AM PDT

I am open to the team trying new things, this just makes me feel like a boomer because I can't wrap my head around this idea. I would much prefer these art products being limited edition on something like displate. This fundraiser just simply isn't for me but maybe people see a value in it. 

• VR Staff
    • 104 posts
    March 30, 2021 8:56 AM PDT

It's really just about testing the market. If there's a market there, we'd be doing a disservice to the game's production by not exploring it. If there isn't, then that will become clear quickly and there would be no point in doing more.

• 560 posts
    March 30, 2021 8:58 AM PDT

I have been investing in Crypto since 2013 and it is not at all uncommon to see people put good money on a bad idea. I have even done it. But NFT just confuses me. You own something anyone else can have for free? Maybe I am getting old too?

VR do not get me wrong I am glad you are giving it a go. I hope it works out well for you. Based on the news I considered selling as well. I am just not going to be a buyer.

• 844 posts
    March 30, 2021 9:01 AM PDT

Lets see how many udders we can strap onto this cow before we milk it dry.

And frankly, if your artists have so much free time on their hands maybe someone else needs to be managing things.

• 15 posts
    March 30, 2021 10:32 AM PDT

Edit: Didn't feel like leaving my comment up

This post was edited by jeffjeffjeffh at April 1, 2021 9:00 AM PDT
    • 41 posts
    March 30, 2021 10:53 AM PDT

There is no difference between this and auctioning a one of a kind art print.  Once it's on the internet everyone can make a copy, but as the original owner you hold something of "value".  I collected comics for years and some people collect stamps.  Absolutely no difference except these are digital.  If it works selling these and brings us the game faster I am all for it.

Just let me know when the action figure line or lore comics become available and I'm all in, because that's what I like to collect.

I mean if a Swift Spectral Tiger still goes for 5 mil ingame gold or $5000 on Ebay, why not!

https://wowtcglootcards.com/mounts/spectral-tiger/

Edit: I am NOT advocating for any in game purchaseable items even cosmetic (Beyond pledges). Just wanted to be clear.

This post was edited by MalFelis at March 30, 2021 3:25 PM PDT
    • 41 posts
    March 30, 2021 10:57 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

And frankly, if your artists have so much free time on their hands maybe someone else needs to be managing things.

The artists have already created this art for the game or the website, etc.  These aren't side projects, at least not yet that we've seen.  All 3 art pieces are on the website before this was offered.

• 2886 posts
    March 30, 2021 12:38 PM PDT

MalFelis said:

zewtastic said:

The artists have already created this art for the game or the website, etc.  These aren't side projects, at least not yet that we've seen.  All 3 art pieces are on the website before this was offered.

Not to mention they're all screenshots, which take a fraction of a second to create.

• 392 posts
    March 30, 2021 1:19 PM PDT

I'd rather purchase a physical art used in one of the stages of development but good luck with the bids.

• 125 posts
    March 31, 2021 4:11 AM PDT

I don't see the point but each to their own. However this has made me read more into the environmental aspect of it all and that is worrying and I'm glad for the education. 

• 273 posts
    March 31, 2021 6:07 AM PDT

I guarantee you all that your eating habits have a much greater impact on the environment than any crypto miners or NFT markets. None of you actually care about ecological sustainability enough to make any real or meaningful changes in your life. VR selling NFTs and people mining Ethereum aren't going to accelerate climate change. Your buying habits that support industrial monoculture, soil engineering to grow non-native crops, and luxury food products/dining are. Get over yourselves.

• 17 posts
    March 31, 2021 9:32 AM PDT

BenD said:

It's really just about testing the market. If there's a market there, we'd be doing a disservice to the game's production by not exploring it. If there isn't, then that will become clear quickly and there would be no point in doing more.

Good luck on your most recent fundraising efforts! Always looking forward to new info, and of course, Alpha 1.

• 287 posts
    March 31, 2021 12:45 PM PDT

eunichron said:

None of you actually care about ecological sustainability enough to make any real or meaningful changes in your life.

That's an exceedingly broad statement for someone who doesn't actually know all of us on these forums.