Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafting

• 9 posts
    March 19, 2021 5:35 PM PDT

So is it possible to have just a crafter? Some games put some rear mats in places where only certain lvl adventures can go. so as a crafter to get to the mat I have had to raise my adventure lvl to enter the zone or area. No it should not be easy to just waltz right in past the npcs and get but do able may snake or wait till night when the npc goes to sleep.

• 1992 posts
    March 19, 2021 6:47 PM PDT

I think it will be very hard to try to play a crafter who never levels up in Adventuring. VR hasn't said it will be impossible, but they have put a number of things in the game that strongly encourage it.

There will be basic recipes and advanced ones, regional/exotic/rare recipes. The advanced ones will be found out in the world, presumably in places where a low-level adventurer would find it hard or impossible to go, even with a group helping. Some may be drops that could be brought back to a Crafter. But some may (we don't know for sure) be no-trade. Others will likely require personal interaction with a legendary Crafter who lives in a most IN-hospitable place, to learn a recipe or perhaps specialize in one area. Further, there will be at least some actual crafting stations in remote, hi-level, dangerous places. These stations will be where you create some of the rarest items that a Crafter can make.

You may well be able to Craft most of the basic recipes without leaving town, but you'll not be able to make the most powerful and valuable pieces. Early on that may be enjoyable, and other players may well buy your wares. But I'd expect that as the population levels and other, more advanced recipes and the products they produce become known, you may find yourself left out of the fun and accomplishment that Crafting can bring.

The other question, which you didn't specify, is whether you can JUST play Crafting characters and no Adventuring ones. What I said above apply despite assuming that you have some adventuring characters who can go out and Harvest mats and earn gold to buy supplies for you. Trying to play ONLY Crafting characters will make the game even more challenging. If you don't have characters that can Harvest, then you're stuck buying mats. Which will be difficult to do if you don't have an income stream at the start of your Crafter career.

It's still early, and anything about the game could change before release. I don't mean to say it is impossible, but it appears to be a VERY challenging and possibly disappointing effort. Sorry I couldn't be more encouraging.

• 2419 posts
    March 27, 2021 8:26 PM PDT

Crafting level need to be tied to your character level.  At level 1, you can get any tradeskill to a skill of 10, but to get your skill higher, you have to go get level 2, then level 3, etc such that if you want to reach the highest skill possible in a tradeskill you have to get to level 50.  This elminates the pure tradeskill alt and makes adventuring the core, the foundation, of the game and everything is built off of it.

While VR says that some crafting will require the crafter to go out in the world, it won't be enough.  It won't be a hard-stop, only a receipe or two that you won't have access too (unless the recipe is tradeable then you just get your adventuring main go and get it).  What we'll see is cities filled with level 1-5 tradeskill alts.  I'll have mine doing exactly that.

• 196 posts
    March 30, 2021 12:55 PM PDT

I think having tied to your character's overall level is a lot better than having its own exp. but also having crating related tests or quests that they are capable of crafting that what is needed.make sure no test is the same for everyone have a rotation of 5-10 different crafting quests to make sure it's not cookie-cutter like crafting, x,y, and z but the items needed to be crafted are with different materials from mats available from the level range.  but that is just an idea so as to keep the people who are botting from doing the same quest at one time.

• 7 posts
    January 9, 2022 4:03 PM PST

I like the ideas for sure