Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - New Player Experience

• 12 posts
    March 14, 2021 3:45 AM PDT
    The initial quest lines could provide the opportunity to familiarize a new player to the basic mechanics of the game. It’s doesn’t need to be a blatant tutorial if some of the quest lines simply require the player to realize functionality at work.
    • 3852 posts
    March 14, 2021 9:39 AM PDT

((The initial quest lines could provide the opportunity to familiarize a new player to the basic mechanics of the game.))

If by basic mechanics you mean the concepts of killing things to get experience and drops, and doing quests to get experience and rewards - this may well work.

If by basic mechanics you mean how chat channels work, how to move, how to adjust the camera angle, how to attack, what a quickbar is, what a skill is and whether skills are used by clicking icons, etc. etc a new player can get easily overwhelmed especially if they are hit with guild and group invitations and chat whispers before they even know *how* to respond much less what all of this means.

Even I, who has played as many MMOs as most, prefer 15 or 30 minutes of peace in a new one as I figure out all of the options, keybinds, audio and video settings and the like. So I see no reason at all not to give new players an optional tutorial on the *really* basic mechanics and a chance to customize keybinds and the like to their preferences. 

• 247 posts
    March 14, 2021 1:59 PM PDT
    On this I feel that what you have currently in the investor build is probably just about right it's not overly amount It just pops up here there one time and then gone