Forums » News and Announcements

Feb 4th Development Stream

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    February 2, 2021 9:45 AM PST

Pantheon crafting revealed! Associate Game Designer Nephele joins the crew, for our February Dev stream, as we break down our goals for Crafting and Gathering in Pantheon. Q&A to follow. Thursday Feb 4 at 6 PST. twitch.tv/visionaryrealms. 

This post was edited by Roenick at February 2, 2021 9:48 AM PST
    • 768 posts
    February 2, 2021 12:50 PM PST

I'm not sure why that fellow is walking to a heart with a fishingpole in his hand. But if that's a subtle hint of expect the unexpected, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the heads up, Roenick!

• 88 posts
    February 2, 2021 1:06 PM PST

Gonna be great to get more info on Crafting and Harvesting.  Looking forward to seeing what Nephele brings us to feast on :)  Really hope to see some FISHING demonstrated as well, what with that sleek looking fishing rod!

This post was edited by Valheru at February 2, 2021 4:11 PM PST
    • 1785 posts
    February 2, 2021 1:08 PM PST

Barin999 said:

I'm not sure why that fellow is walking to a heart with a fishingpole in his hand. But if that's a subtle hint of expect the unexpected, I'm all ears.

Well I mean that fish he's cooking up had to come from somewhere, right?

• 255 posts
    February 2, 2021 1:21 PM PST

Nephele said:

Well I mean that fish he's cooking up had to come from somewhere, right?

What fish? I don't see any fish. Maybe he failed in his fishing skill and decided to add the fishing pole to the fire and start blacksmithing.

This post was edited by Boulda at February 2, 2021 1:22 PM PST
    • 1860 posts
    February 2, 2021 1:29 PM PST

You heard it here first.  Neph confirmed fishingpoles can be burned to start a campfire...

• 1785 posts
    February 2, 2021 1:58 PM PST

:)

• 392 posts
    February 2, 2021 2:46 PM PST

I was planning on duel wielding a fishing pole and a torch so thats great news.

• 1925 posts
    February 2, 2021 3:20 PM PST

Gintoki88 said:

I was planning on duel wielding a fishing pole and a torch so thats great news.

So Neph spilled some beans about the rewards of fishing in caves?

C'mon, out with it!!

• 4 posts
    February 2, 2021 6:13 PM PST

This will be my first live dev stream, always watch reruns and reviews with P+. So glad your at the crafting helm Nephele. 

• 7 posts
    February 2, 2021 6:35 PM PST

Just discovered this game less than a week ago. Really looking forward to its release.

• 231 posts
    February 3, 2021 6:50 AM PST

So fishing poles can be wielded at a forge by classes that can wear chain

• 902 posts
    February 3, 2021 9:58 AM PST

Great stuff!

• 470 posts
    February 4, 2021 6:48 AM PST

Barin999 said:

I know this one. See, like me he's a warrior that likes the sword. So he can only slice and dice that as he has no blunt weapon. But that meat needs tenderizing, and that pole is the closest thing he has to a blunt object so... ;p

Looking forward to tonight's stream. Been itching to hear more about crafting.

This post was edited by Kratuk at February 4, 2021 6:49 AM PST
    • 18 posts
    February 4, 2021 8:08 AM PST

Will this include a video presentation too?

This post was edited by Luniss at February 4, 2021 8:08 AM PST
    • 287 posts
    February 4, 2021 8:32 AM PST
    I believe the dev streams are video while the dev roundtables are just audio.
    • 7 posts
    February 4, 2021 6:51 PM PST

Looks great guys. I love the ideas across the board. 

My main concern would be the question that came up regarding losing a rare item while crafting, which came back as "TBD". Please don't let that happen. It would be aweful.

• 88 posts
    February 4, 2021 7:11 PM PST

Great Stream tonight VR! Thanks for taking the time to give us conceptual ideas and some fundamentals, as well as answering quite a few questions!

• 1281 posts
    February 5, 2021 5:24 AM PST

I notice that brewing was missing from the list of the crafting spheres that were mentioned in the stream.  I am presuming that poisoning will fall under alchemy.

• 115 posts
    February 5, 2021 7:17 AM PST

Kalok said:

I notice that brewing was missing from the list of the crafting spheres that were mentioned in the stream.  I am presuming that poisoning will fall under alchemy.

Brewing is part of provisioner I would bet maybe a brewing specialize.

• 18 posts
    February 5, 2021 9:02 AM PST

What I got from this video was:

Cooking will be like Breath of the Wild, which sounds amazing.  If theres regional trade hubs, classes who can port themselves around and can be somewhat friendly with the locals of any continent can import those rare goods not found on a continent over and make a good buck.  I do hope a failure mechanic is put in though so we get oddly pixelated clumps of *something* lol

Mining is straight forward, which is fine.  The rocks themselves lend them how I see EVE Online's asteroid materials.  So percentages of a individual raw ore material can be tweaked easily without having to tweak individual rock groups or refined materials.  I'm a little worried about the stack sizes however, 5 is a "little low" in my opinion.  But I get what Nephy was going for with not making it so you have massive stock piles of ores out there.  Resource scarcity due to mass is welcome from a economic stand point, but dedicated crafters are going to be juggling their inventory alot.

Same with Blacksmithing, if 1 ore outputs to multiple refined goods, but the stack size for those goods is the same, inventory space is again going to be at a premium.  Raw ore should weigh more than the output btw, from the video I dont know if it was made apparent that his weight was changing, I dont see it changing, could have been a GM thing, not sure.

When he gets to crafting the metal bar, he uses 3 Chunks of Iron.  So if you stick in one stack of Iron Chunks, he'll end up with 2 remaining, again juggling the inventory around as the stacks are not even.  Its a gripe, and of course subject to change, but its something I wouldn't mind having even out.  Having different Iron Bar types is pretty neat, and I hope each sub type of iron bar has lots of classes it would be useful to, as to not have too uneven applications.

All in all, I'm happy with the complexity, but man, recipe books are going to be packed lol.  I hope we get some more info on Jewlery and Cloth goods soon.

• 96 posts
    February 5, 2021 9:30 AM PST

Overall, I really enjoyed hearing about crafting in this stream. As a person who usually just "dabbles" in crafting, I found that I (like Joppa) am excited about the crafting system in Pantheon and look forward to trying it out. 

One thing that stuck out to me though was the fact that Roenick had to switch his weapons out for a mining pick axe in order to mine the ore from the iron node. Now, I get that this is more immersive and potentially makes gathering nodes a bit more risky with lurking monsters around, but at the same time I feel like this could get tedious. Maybe making a macro that would switch from pick axe to weapons and vice-versa would mitigate the issue, but that's something not everyone is going to want to do. Not sure I have a solution for the "tedium" that I've mentioned, but I thought I'd point it out at the very least. 

Thanks again to VR for a great and informational stream. Onward and upward!

This post was edited by Neyos at February 5, 2021 9:31 AM PST
    • 1925 posts
    February 5, 2021 12:29 PM PST

Kalok said: I notice that brewing was missing from the list of the crafting spheres that were mentioned in the stream.  I am presuming that poisoning will fall under alchemy.

Alchemy has had - and still does have - Elixers and Toxins listed as the two specs.

(In addition to both Rogue and Ranger being able to create their own)