Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 21 posts
    February 2, 2021 7:59 AM PST

What is the plan for in-game character emotes? What comes to mind is the WoW dance, where each race had its own gimmicky dance that it would do. Will there be emotes like this in Pantheon?

• 2752 posts
    February 2, 2021 11:00 AM PST

There will be emotes but I don't imagine they will have race specific ones.

• 438 posts
    February 2, 2021 12:15 PM PST
    Really hope the dorky dances aren’t in Pantheon too. Just my personal preference
    • 2756 posts
    February 2, 2021 1:05 PM PST

I kinda hoping they don't bother with sillinesses, but *shrug* no big deal I guess.

• 2419 posts
    February 2, 2021 1:19 PM PST

disposalist said:

I kinda hoping they don't bother with sillinesses, but *shrug* no big deal I guess.

I hope that if they do put in such silly things, they do not dedicate the time, money and effort to get it in by release.  Let it be something that goes in an expansion.

• 2144 posts
    February 2, 2021 2:27 PM PST

I have seen characters doing these dances in many of the streams that have been released. While "anything can change®" I don't believe that those animations were created 'just for fun, in our spare time'.

I think we should expect them.

This post was edited by Jothany at February 2, 2021 2:28 PM PST
    • 394 posts
    February 2, 2021 2:50 PM PST

It would be a nice touch but wouldnt be too sad if everyone had the same emotes.

As long as they dont go Fortnite on us.

• 76 posts
    February 2, 2021 3:10 PM PST

Give us some base emotes like /cheer /laugh for release. I think it helps with RP and even if you don't RP there's always that down time between pulls where you just feel like dancing. The more niche emotes should wait for post launch.

• 226 posts
    February 2, 2021 3:16 PM PST

Let's just hope precious development time isn’t wasted on such a small and meaningless part of the game. Emotes are fun, but really, we don’t lose much without them.

This post was edited by Sweety at February 11, 2021 10:01 PM PST
    • 2756 posts
    February 2, 2021 3:17 PM PST

Vandraad said:

disposalist said:

I hope that if they do put in such silly things, they do not dedicate the time, money and effort to get it in by release.  Let it be something that goes in an expansion.

Not just from a development effort point of view, though - I kinda think they usually *detract* from immersion and whatnot.  The silly /dance ones and the like anyway.

Like I say, no big deal, but I'd rather not since, yeah, a waste of development effort *especially* when some see them as a negative anyway.

Naked elf maidens gyrating on a table in a (Goldshire) tavern are so eye-rollingly awful.  As are 'boogying' ogre blokes or whatever...

Sorry. Grouchy, I know...

This post was edited by disposalist at February 2, 2021 3:19 PM PST
    • 274 posts
    February 3, 2021 6:49 AM PST

disposalist said:

Not just from a development effort point of view, though - I kinda think they usually *detract* from immersion and whatnot.  The silly /dance ones and the like anyway.

Anyone who has worked on a big project knows downtime, a little time to work on something extra, is just as necessary for keeping sane. Developers need breaks too. If working a stupid little /dance emote into the game helps them from going crazy focusing on systems and networking code all the time, I wouldn't consider that a waste of development time.

• 810 posts
    February 3, 2021 7:49 AM PST

I honestly would rather classes have access to special emotes than races.  I get the race will say a lot about you, but classes are restricted to races to already sort of do that.  Would be fun to have a few tropes.  Like a warrior sharpening their weapons as they rest.  Just try meditating through the scraping sounds! 

• 3852 posts
    February 3, 2021 7:55 AM PST

Basic emotes like /bow and /curtsey and /wave and the like hopefully can be put in. I agree with others that silly dances are not exactly a priority. Some games have forced emotes - use on another player and he or she does something you want - like dance. In the name of all Gods either no forced emotes or a global option to ignore them. Just as global options to ignore duel requests, guild invitations, attempts to trade and the like are common in MMOs.

• 2756 posts
    February 4, 2021 6:13 AM PST

eunichron said:

disposalist said:

Anyone who has worked on a big project knows downtime, a little time to work on something extra, is just as necessary for keeping sane. Developers need breaks too. If working a stupid little /dance emote into the game helps them from going crazy focusing on systems and networking code all the time, I wouldn't consider that a waste of development time.

I'm aware - especially having been in such projects.  We would make easter eggs and the like.  We wouldn't add stuff that detracted from the project though.

Maybe I'm being too 'serious', but one of the things I would like from Pantheon is for it to be a little more 'serious' than modern MMOs have often become.  Something less 'childish'.

Like I said, It's not a big deal and certainly not a deal-breaker, I would just prefer, if they are going to add 'fluff', that it wasn't something that tends to the infantile.

There's always a grey area with these things.  Maybe it's a /dance emote and no one really minds that the ogre appears to do a real-world moonwalk move... Maybe it's a tinkered motorcycle goblin mount that looks just like the Batman bike...

• 274 posts
    February 4, 2021 10:49 AM PST

disposalist said:

Maybe I'm being too 'serious', but one of the things I would like from Pantheon is for it to be a little more 'serious' than modern MMOs have often become.  Something less 'childish'.

/dance emotes have already been shown in streams, so it's a safe assumption they will be in the game at launch. But I do agree in the sense that they should make sense within the world of Terminus and the lore of the races, and not be immersion breaking the way that WoW's are.

• 2756 posts
    February 4, 2021 11:01 AM PST

eunichron said:

disposalist said:

/dance emotes have already been shown in streams, so it's a safe assumption they will be in the game at launch. But I do agree in the sense that they should make sense within the world of Terminus and the lore of the races, and not be immersion breaking the way that WoW's are.

Those were from the days that it was just using default Unity stuff though. I'm hoping they will have to rework them, like they have all the combat animations, and they will end up either a) gone or b) in-keeping with lore (and high fantasy).

• 888 posts
    February 8, 2021 2:50 PM PST
    I really like emotes and I hope we have a decent amount to choose from. They can really add to the social atmosphere of the game. The importance of emotes became clear to me when I attended a player-run gathering in Anarchy-Online and watched as several people performed. They had created poems / stories /skits that were acted out using chat plus emotes. It really helped make the world feel more alive and interesting. And while I'm not bothered by silly dance emotes, I think the best way to handle things like dancing is to create many small dance move emotes and allow players to put them together into their own dance macro scripts. It adds variety and allows for creative expression.
    • 13 posts
    February 9, 2021 10:21 AM PST

I want to see a ton of emotes. FFXIV does this right. Dozens upon dozens of emotes and many of them not "silly" like some of you neckbearded serious freaks are worried about.

If an animation exists that can be used for RP I want to see it given use via /emote for players.

So if npcs are animated sweeping with a broom, let us have it.

If they have an animation for eating or drinking, let us have it.

Let us bring our characters to life via animations / emotes.

There's more to your character than just numbers and what ever flashy gear you looted.

• 115 posts
    February 9, 2021 12:30 PM PST

plump said:

I want to see a ton of emotes. FFXIV does this right. Dozens upon dozens of emotes and many of them not "silly" like some of you neckbearded serious freaks are worried about.

I think FF14 would have been much better off with less emotes and not released un finshed 2 times they still have not put in the english voice overs for most quest  1-50 anyway not even just made them say something when you talk to them so it didnt feel so empty. 

Only added in lots of emotes took time to make  filling in a few voice lines would make the world feel more real than the emotes. I am not saying we need the npc reading the quest text, but just the  litle one liners like in vangaurd and EQ2 do so much more to fill the world than /bow /welcome ect 

This post was edited by Vixx at February 9, 2021 12:34 PM PST