Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Class / Race Matrix

• 21 posts
    February 7, 2021 2:44 PM PST

Feyshtey said:

Totally random thought... What if you could be an ogre rogue, but because of and ogre's stature you had a modified skillset to be more aligned to being a thug. Less about the sneaky sneaky and more about the "That's a nice set of armor. Be a cryin' shame if somethin would happen to it."

so a different class for ogres?

• 2138 posts
    February 8, 2021 8:41 AM PST

Cleric said:

Feyshtey said:

Totally random thought... What if you could be an ogre rogue, but because of and ogre's stature you had a modified skillset to be more aligned to being a thug. Less about the sneaky sneaky and more about the "That's a nice set of armor. Be a cryin' shame if somethin would happen to it."

so a different class for ogres?

An ogre, pursuing that ability line and that desire- player driven sandbox style- and taking it as far as they can go. Perhaps they get a gnomish assasins knife quest reward they cant use, toothpick perhaps. But they do get the stat/skill boost.

The AI, trying to figure it out...

Ogre in battle tries to use the disarm skill that normally succeeds, and, nothing happens? but the group notices the helm/BP/gauntlets/greeves/boots/ whathaveyou suddenly seem to be dissappear from the enemy. (the wolf looks like it just got skinned?) must be a graphics bug.

On death said armor item is in monsters inventory. waitaminit. Can't pick-a-pocket but you've seen those tricks where jackets have been lifted off 0_o ...thug life.

Nice armor you got there. 

• 1303 posts
    February 8, 2021 8:53 AM PST

Yeah, not exactly a different class. Ogres would still have a lot of the same skills that overlap. But some skills replaced to emphasized the stature of the ogre. Instead of a sap that only works from stealth that stuns an NPC (crowd control), instead an Ogre rogue gets a open-handed slap to an NPC's ears that stuns them in much the same way, but doesn't work from stealth. Ogres are by their nature much more overt, rather than covert. I know there are balance concerns here. But that can be done by saying that Ogres in stealth get a penalty and are more easily detectable or something. 

Was just a silly idea. Not championing it or anything, but it does sound kind of entertaining, and it broadens the range of class/race possibiilties in the matrix that some seem frustrated by. (I'm not)

• 67 posts
    February 11, 2021 12:15 AM PST

In EQ Iksar and Human were able to be a Monk. Iksar had the skill "Tail Rake" while humans had ...s omething else ;) 

The problem with the approach of an Ogre Rogue with a different skillset is not so much the skillset, but the whole world build around the class of a rogue. They have to be considered in the lore, the quests, and so on. This makes the whole world so much more complex and difficult to manage (a complex world is interesting though). 

A rogue is also sneaky, can hide, is dexterous. All of that does not really match to an ogre. Maybe a Skar is the more brutal candidate for a rogue. 

Besides all that, I like the idea of a more race oriented touch for the classes, and if its just renaming a skill to match the lore of the race.

• 79 posts
    February 11, 2021 8:22 AM PST

Feyshtey said:

I like the idea of the different races having different classes to support the archetypes of combat.  Instead of Gnomes or halflings having a tank that absorbs damage through size and amount of armor or does damage with the strength of their arms, they have a different method of tanking.  I know it isn't a popular idea that certain classes are locked behind a race, but I think it would be awesome.  But I understand that is a lot of work and a bit too late in the game as they say.

• 115 posts
    February 11, 2021 8:49 AM PST

Some thing like the Halflings  would have a racial that reduced there hate allowed them to go less noticed, But if a tank they used there great alitity to Mock to incress there hate. Than give them a lighter armor wearing Avoidance Tank class where it damage was limited by parry and dodge. This goes with more old school slower TTK  so one shots didn't happen to said tank would need to have simalar HPS needed as a plate tank. 

Not saying in PRoF but would be a fun idea. 

This post was edited by Vixx at February 11, 2021 8:52 AM PST