Forums » Crafting and Gathering

A quick word about Crafting in Pantheon

• 2138 posts
    July 6, 2021 1:24 PM PDT

Nephele said:

bigdogchris said:

OK so you're not going to use some combination of level x skill = cap? Are skill caps going to be based on anything, or could you in theory become a max skill crafter at level 1?

Too soon to give details like that, but progression as a crafter will be multi-dimensional.  Skills are part of the equation but they will likely *not* function in the same way that EQ's skills did.

Here's a list of a few of the concepts you'll need to pay attention to as a crafter for progression purposes.  Some aspects will work more vertically and others more horizontally.

- Level

- Skills

- Crafting Mastery

- Specialization

- Equipment and Tools

- Available Techniques

- Available Schematics

- Available Resources

I'll be able to share more about this later in Alpha, but if you think about each of these concepts and how they ultimately work together, that should give you an idea of what progressing as a crafter will actually be like.  It is definitely not going to simply be a matter of maxing skills or experience, at least, not if you actually want to make anything anyway :)

So, Can I take this to mean specialization is a choice that will improve the chance at making certain kinds of things? but not having specialization will not prevent you from making those certain kinds of things, it will just be harder but you must have mastery.

Can reputation and specialization work together? like, although I may be a master woodworker and gatherer, I just can't seem to get the knack of carving thronefast pine for which my attempts met with contempt to my chagrin. However, I am a prodigy with Syronai whale tooth scrimshaw for which I am reknowned in two continents? Would it be possible for me to improve my woodworking by improving reputation via quests to get equiptment and tools, from which to learn about available resources. And in the search for these resources, which would be a quest of sorts, discover techniques from NPC's in dungeons, and find schematics like loot in chests?

Will fishing, then, not be easy? it seems to me like that might be everyones go-to.

• 2001 posts
    July 6, 2021 3:26 PM PDT

Manouk said: So, Can I take this to mean specialization is a choice that will improve the chance at making certain kinds of things? but not having specialization will not prevent you from making those certain kinds of things, it will just be harder but you must have mastery.

From a Jan 2021 forum post:

Nephele said: This may change based on how the gameplay for both crafting and gathering develops and player feedback during alpha/beta.

Specialization will be important because it will improve your ability to make specific types of items, and make it easier to create very high-end items of that type.

A simple example:  You start off as a blacksmith and then you later decide you want to specialize in swords.  This makes it easier for you to create legendary-quality swords, but the tradeoff is that it would be much harder for you to create a legendary-quality piece of chain armor, although you could still make the attempt.

• 1785 posts
    July 6, 2021 3:42 PM PDT

Manouk said:

Can reputation and specialization work together? like, although I may be a master woodworker and gatherer, I just can't seem to get the knack of carving thronefast pine for which my attempts met with contempt to my chagrin. However, I am a prodigy with Syronai whale tooth scrimshaw for which I am reknowned in two continents? Would it be possible for me to improve my woodworking by improving reputation via quests to get equiptment and tools, from which to learn about available resources. And in the search for these resources, which would be a quest of sorts, discover techniques from NPC's in dungeons, and find schematics like loot in chests?

Will fishing, then, not be easy? it seems to me like that might be everyones go-to.

Broadly, yes :)

• 1 posts
    August 23, 2021 8:05 AM PDT

very neat