Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In One Word - Tell us what you think about...

• 9115 posts
    December 14, 2020 2:17 AM PST

In One Word - Tell us what you think about real-life holidays being celebrated in-game? Remember, just one word! #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 220 posts
    December 14, 2020 2:54 AM PST

Invasive

• 902 posts
    December 14, 2020 3:13 AM PST

Conceivably

• 1315 posts
    December 14, 2020 4:18 AM PST

Thief *points angrily at Kilsin*

Was going to throw out an easy Crafters Roundtable today asking if crafting should play a role in Pantheon Holidays, RL or Lore holidays.

For the actualy answer:

Corollary

There are a handful of inspirations for holidays that show up in nearly every culture.

1) Spring/planting/end of winter

2) Harvest/Beer

3) Rememberance of the Dead

4) Longest Day, Longest Night, Calendar year marker

5) Family Bonding

6) Local events of significance

7) Religious events of significance.

The first 5 will likely have some matching in each of the races.  6 and 7 though will be localized and unlikely to overlap.

• 394 posts
    December 14, 2020 8:29 AM PST

Uninspired 

I do like holidays in games but its kinda lazy when we have all this lore and a real life holiday just gets the copy pasta.

• 274 posts
    December 14, 2020 8:41 AM PST

Vapid.

• 13 posts
    December 14, 2020 9:13 AM PST

In one word:

ABSURD

In a few words:

There isn´t anything as lame as Halloween events in MMORPGs, or Easter, or Christmas o whatever the idiotic thingie that ruins game experience by mixing it with RL. No thanks. Please. Hopefully you will be smart enough to celebrate LORE of the game, matching it (without saying) with, I don´t know, winter solstice?

- Elia

• 2138 posts
    December 14, 2020 9:49 AM PST

unabashed

Hear me out. What I mean is playing engrossing MMO's during the holidays or Zeitgeist forbid! ON the holy day- erm I mean holiday. In the U.S its acceptible to watch football after the thanksgiving meal, or the re-run of The Wizard of Oz, because it means paying attention to something else with the immediate family in the same area also paying attention to the same thing.

With an MMO, there is a chance you are separating yourself from your immediate family to pay attention to something - or virtual someones- else in a game environment. In some cases the pressure of having to bear with immediate family is dreaded, or tolerated yet some small shame is felt in wanting to remove yourself, as if this is one day where you at least have to make an effort as a bare minimum of decency.

This can create some cognitive dissonance: you want to do the right thing and spend time with your family although you really dont want to, and you want to play 12 hours on an MMO! but you know you really shouldn't because its a holiday and are worried how it would look to those others also lonely and decrepid who are logged on for lack of happy holiday pastiche.

PLOS remember that? acronym code to chat to friends (Parents Looking Over Shoulder)

After you've done the holiday stuff, what is the unwrittten schedule where the main event is over, you have time to internalize what happened, you react with the immediate family and once completed, can then silently declare the event is over from which you can then withdraw with no shame to pursue your personal desires? in some cases, it is not a whole day.

Breakfast, presents, thank yous and now it's 9am. there's only so much T.V. that can be watched or walks that can be taken, or convenient showers to reasonably excuse yourself for a bit.   

Game-centric holiday themed stuff provided its tastefull and edgy and not - what everyone doesn't want- I think could provide a nice unabashed segway to passing eyes or PLOS, where they are drawn by the general theme and can watch you play and you are not ashamed to "live stream" for whomever might be looking over your shoulder.

Who knows, you may get a sub and they'll eventually leave because of all the fun you are having. Bonus if friends turn and mug for the 4th wall with emotes, and send greetings from their location. 

• 2752 posts
    December 14, 2020 10:10 AM PST

Awful.

• 2419 posts
    December 14, 2020 10:16 AM PST

Kilsin said:

In One Word - Tell us what you think about real-life holidays being celebrated in-game? Remember, just one word! #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Lazy

• 125 posts
    December 14, 2020 10:34 AM PST

De-immersifying 

• 690 posts
    December 14, 2020 2:40 PM PST

Fun

That being said you can avoid ruining immersion by keeping the celebrations in tight compartments. Give a slight experience bonus or a unique questline that gives some pointless toy. No need to decorate all of the cities.

Or, to keep big celebrations AND immersion, you could make actual holidays for the world you are in. You can bet it makes sense that the king, and his people, might choose to celebrate some holiday-perhaps with the exception of Skar- where they won a big battle in history or some such.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at December 14, 2020 2:41 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 14, 2020 2:55 PM PST

Abominable.

Celebrating Terminus holidays at the same time we have ours is fine but for the love of all the Gods leave out Santa Claus and any other names and details that are obviously based on our holidays.

Iksar's comment is far too mild - sadly I couldn't come up with a really appropriate word either. 

• 1480 posts
    December 14, 2020 3:17 PM PST

Uninspired.

I already don't dig much of the IRL holidays, but I appreciate the surrounding of family and relatives tied to it.

In games I do feel it's even quite out of pace as most people are friends but not family, it's uninspired in design and ends up beeing more a succession of random and dull events that constantly push into the world and add unnecessary features around every city.

I would like in game logical events untied to modern ones (that usually are breaking immersion due to them beeing based on charity / chain of task that no one would ever do in a realistic and harsh setting), that are only celebrated in specific areas and cultures, and not world wide (albeit perhaps the defeat of the Ravaging Lord, celebrated differently in every major city of the sacred six).

• 2144 posts
    December 14, 2020 3:29 PM PST

Yes!.

Ideally, the best possibility would be a local, lore related celebration that carries many of the same themes as the RL holiday it coincides with. Just not the name. But regardless of how 'Pantheon-ized' you make it, I'm fine with some recognition of major, international holidays being available in game. Ones local to just US or elsewhere less so.

However it is done, it should NOT be pervasive. Those who wish to join in should have little trouble finding it, those who don't should have little trouble avoiding it. It should be short, no long period of announcements and preparations. 1-3 days at most.

If there is any sort of holiday loot, it should NOT bestow gameplay advantages in any sphere. If it is an appearance/cosmetic item, it should only be (publicly) visible during the actual holiday period. (and subsequent ones over the years)

• 19 posts
    December 14, 2020 6:01 PM PST

Immersion-breaking.

• 423 posts
    December 14, 2020 7:43 PM PST

HATE

• 42 posts
    December 15, 2020 1:51 AM PST

Irrelevant

• 63 posts
    December 15, 2020 8:07 AM PST

Irrelevant

I'd prefer the game to have it's own  holiday's and tradition on a cyclical basiss.

• 1618 posts
    December 15, 2020 12:59 PM PST

Mandatory.

• 523 posts
    December 15, 2020 2:04 PM PST

Meh

• 729 posts
    December 15, 2020 4:11 PM PST

unnecessary

• 114 posts
    December 15, 2020 6:02 PM PST

Repetitive

• 47 posts
    December 15, 2020 6:40 PM PST

Profligate

For those of you who are unfamiliar or too busy to look up the word:

"extravagant or wasteful in the use of resources"

Don't get me wrong; I want as much content as VR can make.  But given their already whippet lean staff, I can think of figuratively thousands of other things I'd rather they focus on. 

Personally, if I want to celebrate real life festivities, I'll just log into real life.  But if you still feel the need to add holiday or seasonal events, please make them relevant to the game world, not the real one.

~Hiwin

• 13 posts
    December 16, 2020 1:42 AM PST

vthorm said:

"extravagant or wasteful in the use of resources"

Don't get me wrong; I want as much content as VR can make.  But given their already whippet lean staff, I can think of figuratively thousands of other things I'd rather they focus on

Personally, if I want to celebrate real life festivities, I'll just log into real life.  But if you still feel the need to add holiday or seasonal events, please make them relevant to the game world, not the real one.

~Hiwin

I can´t agree more.

- Elia