Forums » News and Announcements

Ben Dean Spills The Beans!

• 9115 posts
    October 17, 2020 1:26 AM PDT

Nathan NAPALM sits down with our very own Ben Dean to discuss PreAlpha 5 and more... (WARNING - Beans Galore!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVBK5HIcb-U

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at October 17, 2020 1:27 AM PDT
    • 523 posts
    October 17, 2020 10:10 AM PDT

Thought this was a good interview.  Not a ton of new information, but some nuggets for sure.  I think Ben does a legitimately good job in his role at VR, and I think Nathan was excellent with the interview.  Wizard and Rogue are in game.  Have to imagine Enchanter is next to round out the group roles.

And just saying Ben Dean, if you guys want to make up for going dark for two years and a little bit of lack of communication.  Surprise us and get the bard/necro in during this Alpha class period.  It's some extra work, but you can't tout a quaternity group concept and only launch with one Control archetype.  That would be a mistake.  So, since the Bard/Necro are both Control and you need them in prior to launch, what better time than to surprise us with them this Pre-Alpha.

This post was edited by Mathir at October 17, 2020 10:10 AM PDT
    • 5 posts
    October 17, 2020 12:08 PM PDT

I hope for a hands off publisher that has a love for MMORPG's. 

• 255 posts
    October 18, 2020 2:39 AM PDT

I enjoyed this interview. I think when it is the network library testing phase, (referred as PA5 Shake Out), call it PA6 then we know we are really closer to Alpha :)

• 1921 posts
    October 19, 2020 8:23 AM PDT

Has the networking library referred to in this video been used in any testing phase with VIPs/backers/pledgers (PA1/2/3/4/5 Shakeout), up to October 19th, 2020?

• 844 posts
    October 21, 2020 12:10 AM PDT

vjek said:

Has the networking library referred to in this video been used in any testing phase with VIPs/backers/pledgers (PA1/2/3/4/5 Shakeout), up to October 19th, 2020?

Unless you've worked with Unity on multi-player games, I doubt few that listened know what "network library" means. Or how critical it is.

• 441 posts
    October 21, 2020 7:34 AM PDT

I really enjoyed this. Ben is really fun to listen to. I did like that he did cover in more detail the situation VM faces with funding. Still realy wanting to hear offical new on the Bard =-) You guys are killing me lol. Keep up the great work!

• 3852 posts
    October 21, 2020 8:00 AM PDT

((I hope for a hands off publisher that has a love for MMORPG's. ))

I mostly agree but partly disagree. Left to their own devices developers often lose track of the primary goal (releasing a good game in a reasonable time frame) and focus on all the things they can improve. And a good developer can *always* improve something.

I too hope for a publisher that won't change the game too much and defeat the whole purpose of creating it. But I also hope for one that will drive production towards reaching alpha, beta and release, and will prioritize release of a good game soon over release of a perfect game in some indefinite future time.

This isn't impatience. Well, it isn't only impatience. The further off release is the more it will look like an old game with poor graphics by the standards of the date it is released. This will not help it succeed.

This post was edited by dorotea at October 21, 2020 8:01 AM PDT