Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Would You Rather - Be the Tank, Healer, Support or the DPS

• 178 posts
    October 11, 2020 8:08 AM PDT

Fort me it depends on two things - how integrated crafting may be to a certain class and how rare a class is in the game. Using EQ as an example (given the string attachment this development has to the original EQ):

Playing a rogue in the early days of EQ was certainly a naked corpse runner's dream. But because of my pencil and paper D&D playing days - thief/rogue was my class. The incorporation of poinsons into the game fit in with my casual game playing existience. I could go about doing pottery for vials, I could go about grabbing/buying/farming components for poison. Even though they were a one-time application and the amount of effort required to just engage in poisons was exceedingly "unproductive" I found when no one else was online to play with or couldn't find a group I could spend time doing those things - not because I had to, but because I wanted to. My rogue developed into a support role when adventuring - keeping the healer and enchanter alive, mostly. If aggro should come to either of those two I would go ballistic on the creature to pull it off and allow for either of the dominating mitigating measures to come into play (tank grabbing aggro, enchanter laying a mezz, ranger coming back to assist). Played my rogue predominantly with my playing circle so we developed a rotuine or at least a reputation for playstyle that would find a pace in groups (and PUGS).

However, it was difficult playing a rogue (as a casual player), especially all the naked corspe running and the constant LFG, that I went about creating a bard to play. At the time bards were few and far between and I chose a bard because of the rarity. Eventually my bard ended up in a guild of almost 100-players and I had the only bard in that guild. But what a great support role it was with the casual group of PUGS I ended up in much of the time.

So, my own personal gut feel for weighing those two things will probably determine my preference. For now, my preference is "Support."

• 2 posts
    October 11, 2020 1:53 PM PDT

I want a dwarf cleric I am tried of playing mmo with bad healers

• 438 posts
    October 11, 2020 3:58 PM PDT
    Not sure yet. Once in alpha and test and try different classes will know for sure. As of now based off previous experiences in mmorpgs, dps and maybe cc.
    • 30 posts
    October 15, 2020 6:23 AM PDT
    Healer, support, followed by puller. Might roll a tank after a month of pugging dungeons indicates a shortage of that class.
    • 51 posts
    October 20, 2020 6:49 PM PDT

DPS, it's the least critical and easiest to play

• 63 posts
    October 21, 2020 9:34 AM PDT

This is a tough decision as I like aspects to every role. I enjoy tanking and the adrenaline of keep everything not CC'd on yourself, positioning mobs properly, and being the main focus of healers during a boss encounter. I enjoy being CC/support and being the difference between wipes and easy kills. I enjoy healing because it's fun to focus on other players in your role and not the mobs. I enjoy pulling because you keep the rythm of a group going and splitting difficult pulls is very rewarding and makes me feel like I have a real skill. Lastly, DPS is great when I don't want to have the pressure of the more critical roles and I just want to sit back and rip mobs apart. 

I guess if I had to choose for Pantheon and for a PUG, I am probably going to say support because I want to be the one in control of the CC. I trust myself to do it good enough for us to live. If I was a DPS I'd want feign death to say the least!

• 106 posts
    October 21, 2020 1:27 PM PDT

Hello. For a PUG, i would log on my healer or and support. Like the challenge of keeping the tank and group alive. But will log on whatever the group needs if any, otherwise if its a PUG, healer type. Though am usually playing either a healer or hybrid healer type (shama, druid, etc). Am always hopeful that the PUG is not toxic and are mature adults, be it young adults or old alduts. Just be respectful and helpful, having fun but not at the expense of others.

• 334 posts
    October 21, 2020 4:57 PM PDT

Depends a bit on my play time in due time; main style used to be supporting dps, situational awareness and resource kit for various pug situations.

Never did much healing\tank characters, CC a bit more.

• 332 posts
    October 26, 2020 3:47 PM PDT

Tank - Just what im comfortable doing :)

• 9 posts
    October 31, 2020 12:09 AM PDT

Healer and Support. I typically like the more support style healers, the ones who buff and debuff and cleanse and heal, I like aiding my party in unique ways specific to my class beyond just healing. Although I do like controlling who lives and who dies ^_^

• 42 posts
    October 31, 2020 7:51 PM PDT

I'm torn on what to play. I really wanted to play a Cleric, as I've typically played tank and got in to playing a Cleric in EverQuest on the Agnarr server. That being said, the Paladin sounds like a ton of fun, but I find tanking kind of boring, even frustrating when your healer waits until the last second to heal in dire situations. Maybe once the classes are all available and I can mess around with them I'll be able to say for sure, but right now a Dark Myr Cleric is my tentative main!

• 624 posts
    November 1, 2020 5:12 PM PST

Support / CC / Utility : no matter what you call it, bards just want to make their group look good, while looking good.

• 58 posts
    November 4, 2020 12:33 PM PST

Tank for sure.  Wife needs something to heal. :)

• 39 posts
    November 4, 2020 4:58 PM PST

leafnin said:

Tank for sure.  Wife needs something to heal. :)

100% this

• 129 posts
    November 5, 2020 7:50 AM PST

Depends on how your game fairs...

When I am lazy, it's hard to beat support/cc. Shaman in EQ was the ultimate in lazy mode. Cast slow, cast canni dance, buff every 30m-hour. Maybe throw a heal if I need to...

Being a tank is fun too, you get to be the center of attention and bad things are never your fault, only the healers... /s :)

I am torn in Pantheon between Tank or Support. DPS is fun for a bit, but it's tedious, gotta always be tapping away and bringing your A game so things drop fast and your DPS numbers stay high. Lol. Which is funny given my name, but I did love my Rogue in EQ. I stood there and pressed 1... 1... 1... *evade*... 1... 1... 1... *evade*...