Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Day-One Releases

• 9115 posts
    September 28, 2020 3:43 AM PDT

Community Debate - Day-One Releases, Do you stay up late, take a day off work or set time aside to play a game as soon as the servers go live or do you wait for the rush to pass and then jump in? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 2756 posts
    September 28, 2020 3:55 AM PDT

I will be there on the day, no matter what ;^) Even if I spend the day not being able to log in hehe

It's more than just 'a game to play' it's 'an event to be part of', especially for Pantheon.

This post was edited by disposalist at September 28, 2020 3:57 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    September 28, 2020 4:18 AM PDT

I don't love crowds. I hate having to stand in line and take a number, as at a bakery, in order to be able to kill a mob.I prefer to wait. When a game I am playing has an expansion I enjoy the almost empty areas in the older territories.

For Pantheon I will make an exception and try to be one of the first people on.

• 729 posts
    September 28, 2020 4:28 AM PDT

I'm sure to take the day off work, have bills paid and turn the phone off.

• 627 posts
    September 28, 2020 5:06 AM PDT
    OFC i play asap! I will sit in the online que to kill x and y quest mob like thousands of other players.

With 2 Kids and a wifu i wont play for 24 hours, most likely 2-4 hours, but ill be back at it the following evening.
    • 729 posts
    September 28, 2020 5:15 AM PDT

My goal is to be there on the day of release. Maybe not the exact hour (if that's even possible due to so many players trying to log in at once), but definitely on the day. I don't plan to take time off however. If the game launches on a workday (which I guess it will), I'll start playing in the evening and play until long into the night however :)

• 1281 posts
    September 28, 2020 6:31 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Day-One Releases, Do you stay up late, take a day off work or set time aside to play a game as soon as the servers go live or do you wait for the rush to pass and then jump in? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Depends on the game.  I did for EQ2 and Vanguard.

• 1921 posts
    September 28, 2020 7:50 AM PDT
    If you accept the premise that PA5 Shakeout was meant to test the login servers, and a second Shakeout was unexpectedly required, then based on the information to date, I won't be taking any time off. :D
    • 441 posts
    September 28, 2020 8:25 AM PDT
    Ooo I will be taking a few days off work for release. I also will be smashing the play button on the patched to be the first in if possible. Also I will be hooking up a coffee IV and not sleeping for about 48hrs. Will be like camping for JBoots all over again.
    • 1480 posts
    September 28, 2020 8:32 AM PDT

If I can I'll take a week or two off. If not, I'll plan my sleep schedule around it to enjoy it at maximum.

• 79 posts
    September 28, 2020 8:47 AM PDT

Not sure if I will be, I get really annoyed having to deal with a mass of people in the newbie areas.  I can wait if it turns out that it is being released on a work day.  Maybe release on a weekend?

• 394 posts
    September 28, 2020 8:48 AM PDT

I was planning on a week of vacation at least for launch, I'm not really using any of the time I've built up this year anyhow.

• 903 posts
    September 28, 2020 9:01 AM PDT

Depends on the game. PRotF, I am planning to take time off, stay up late and burn the candle at both ends.

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 28, 2020 9:02 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    September 28, 2020 9:05 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Logging in immediately upon the servers going live. And I've already told my boss that when this game eventually releases, I'll be taking a 3 week vacation to grind out 17 hours a day for 21 days.

• 96 posts
    September 28, 2020 10:05 AM PDT

I care a lot about smooth game play during my game session, so upon release, if it takes forever to get in and then it's super laggy because there's so many people in the game, then I'd likely just wait a day or two and try again later. I know with my play schedule that I won't be "world's first" on anything, so I'm content with waiting until my game time is most enjoyable. 

• 2138 posts
    September 28, 2020 10:12 AM PDT

heh, it depends what day, and what time the go live release date falls.

These days, it means something else, something bigger if you take a sick day. It means maybe a 14 day quarantine and i'm not sure if I want to burn up a vacation day.

However I know how I will feel. If I am the first one, I will hope there wil be no one else for a few hours so I can see what I can see and learn and get immersed and then casually observe others as they pop in and make friends.

Otherwise I would prefer if I were not the first one, but rather, maybe a day or two or a week in. I want to see the hustle and bustle of people(players) eavesdrop on what they are doing as I try to fighure things out on my own. Maybe meet someone else in my same predicament and we can stumble along together for a while.

What I will probably notice: People shun theme-park and "on rails" and how this is not what the game should be. Yet there are some in game that will bee-line right to me or newbies and  say "you have to do this, I will show you, and then you have to do that- follow me" and they become the "on rails" and then I am not doing what I am lead to do but rather what they want me to do ("group with us/come to this dungeon/join my guild/EAT EAT EAT"). Likewise the flip side is someone shouting "where's the bank!". While they are not "on rails" they are seeking the rails upon which to be with that shout. Then there are shouts that would be thrilling like "run for your lives! the griffon comes!" or "Orcs can't swim!" and the reply " Yes they can.." or "Has anyone seen Amamda Blaine?"  

• 888 posts
    September 28, 2020 10:14 AM PDT
    I probably won't take the day off, though I don't expect I will get much sleep that night.
    • 560 posts
    September 28, 2020 10:44 AM PDT

Vanguard, I had played beta and knew it was not ready for release so waited a year before playing. WoW I also knew had major bugs but I still played on release day and spent most of the day trying to login and then trying to loot while failing at both. I did not take time off work though.

I doubt I will take time off work for pantheon but I am sure I will play on releases even if the game is released early. I some times wonder if more of us would have stuck with Vanguard if it would have been successful.

• 63 posts
    September 28, 2020 11:49 AM PDT

It depends on the game. I've taken the day off of work to play expansions before, but for Pantheon I will be taking a 1-3 days off work to immerse and enjoy myself. It doesn't meant I'm going to rush and try and hit max level. I'm more interested in exploration and working throgh the zones slowly.  All that being said I'll probably take the 2nd day of release off from work to avoid any login server issues.

This post was edited by Mythic at September 28, 2020 11:52 AM PDT
    • 500 posts
    September 28, 2020 12:10 PM PDT

I'm retired now and have minimal obligations in the real world, so I'll be spending quite a bit of time in game when PRF releases. Most of my time I plan to spend exploring and working on Keeper status and other such horizontal advancement activities.  No rush to max level for me... I intend to relish the journey.

• 220 posts
    September 28, 2020 12:38 PM PDT

In the distant past, there were a couple of times when I took two to three weeks off to indulge in the release of a game that I was really looking forward to, but now I am no longer in a job that would allow for that. I don't even know if I would do something like that again, even if I could, as I found that my ability to be completely present upon returning to my day job was inhibited. While at times I can still get sucked into a game for a long session, I no longer do so when it will cut into other important aspects of my life. For these reasons, I probably won't schedule any time off for Pantheon's release. I think I will take a measured approach this time around.

• 13 posts
    September 28, 2020 1:27 PM PDT

Oh I'll be taking a week or two vacataion like normal for an MMO release / xpac release. 

Doesn't mean any of us will be playing the first day or two as servers melt down from "unexpected popularity we never saw coming."

• 70 posts
    September 28, 2020 2:22 PM PDT

I take day off lock the wife and kids out of the room, Mainly to save character names. but also to get a jump on the competition!!

• 438 posts
    September 28, 2020 6:15 PM PDT
    Depends on the game. EQ1 expansions I have. WoW expansions I haven’t. With pantheon? We’ll see. Depends on how it pans out. What’s its like in alpha/beta. I know both alpha/beta isn’t an early introduction into the game, things will change, but by beta, core rejects should be locked in. If I don’t like the tenets then more probable than not I won’t take the time to play first day release.
    • 438 posts
    September 28, 2020 6:16 PM PDT
    Damn phone. “Core tenets” not rejects. And other auto correct nonsense mobile does